Taurus 740 rnge report

This is a discussion on Taurus 740 rnge report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I took my new Taurus 740 SLIM to the range today to break it in. I'm pleased with the gun, not so pleased with me. ...

Thread: Taurus 740 rnge report

Taurus 740 rnge report

I took my new Taurus 740 SLIM to the range today to break it in. I'm pleased with the gun, not so pleased with me.

I fired about 50 rounds of Federal FMJ, About twenty rounds of Remington hollow points, about 18 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense and about 30 rounds of 180 gr. reloads, WITHOUT A SINGLE FAILURE. Having broken in new sub compacts in the past I expected at least one. No such thing. It was flawless.

It does have a kick and I couldn't completely eliminate my flinching. I haven't fired a gun in several months and need to re-acclimate myself. I was firing left and low. I did manage to improve somewhat but not completely. I know it was me and not the gun because I have a laser bullet that I practice with extensively before going to the range. The laser bullet shows where your aiming when the hammer hits. I was right on target with the laser bullet in dry firing, so I know it's not the gun.

The recoil was stiff, but not painful like firing the Kel Tec PF9. And the 740 is 40 cal in case you missed that.

I haven't seen many 740's around so I grabbed this one at Cabela's when I saw it.

P.S. I took my Kahr PM9 also and still convinced this is the nicest concealed carry sub compact on the market. Though there are a couple of newer entries I haven't tried. But, why would I when the Kahr is perfect for me.

Thanks for listening!
    Last edited by jsunsr; October 18th, 2011 at 10:12 PM. Reason: correction

2. Remove Ads

Glad you had fun....well, almost fun.

Sit with your Taurus in front of the TV and practice dry firing at the screen about a thousand times, and your "low and left" will disappear at the range. You're jerking the trigger in anticipation of the recoil and pulling the gun down and left. Very common problem and easily corrected with practice. I would imagine the recoil of the .40SW out of that little Taurus is substantial, and will require some extra range sessions to get 'er completely under control. Good luck.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by jsunsr View Post
    And the 740 is 40mm in case you missed that.
    Dang! Call the Army! I'm sure they would love to have a 40mm grenade launcher that small! Would make the Mk19 obsolete!

The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Sorry, I get my American mixed up with this European garbage we're supposed to learn. I should have said 40 cal.

Links