Can anyone comment on cw40.

This is a discussion on Can anyone comment on cw40. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like my PM9 a lot, but, if I can move to a 40, mo betta. But I don't know if the polygonal rifling makes ...

Thread: Can anyone comment on cw40.

Can anyone comment on cw40.

I like my PM9 a lot, but, if I can move to a 40, mo betta. But I don't know if the polygonal rifling makes much diff between the PM and CW as far as accuracy, and of the recoil please. I just bought a Taurus 740 Slim that kicks pretty good. If you can compare the CW40 recoil to other guns we may have one in common that I can equate to. Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I have the CW40, recoil is just a bit snappier than a 9MM but still quite manageable the only 9MMs I have are a Ruger P89 and a Star Firestar M43. I don’t have anything with polygonal rifling to compare it to but it is very accurate.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I have a CW40 and PM9 and recoil is somewhat sharp but very manageable and not unpleasant in both these handguns. But recoil sensitivity is a personal thing and what’s fine for me may not be for you. The CW40 is a little larger of course of these two. I cannot tell any real perceivable difference in accuracy between the polygonal rifling in the PM and the conventional rifling in the CW series guns. Both have good accuracy for small defensive handguns and I can generally hit what I am shooting at which is what counts. I also have several other handguns with polygonal rifling and many more with conventional rifling and if there is a real accuracy difference its so small I can't see it.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Mine kept having failure to feed issues.So after 500 rounds of "break in" I sold it for a $150 loss.

Administrator
    The only thing I can offer is that I think the 9mm Kahr's are a lot better bet.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have carried a CW40 for 3 years now. Never had a problem with it going bang, accuracy is as good as any other small carry weapon.

I had a CW 40 last year. Really liked the size, weight, trigger and accuracy. Recoil was no problem for me, even with a touch of arthritis in my wrist.

No the bad news, it was unreliable, horribly unreliable. Two trips back to the factory to try to fix what would have been a great carry gun.

Even after the trips to the factory and 500 "break in" rounds I could not count on emptying a magazine without a failure to feed. It went down the road with full disclosure to the buyer. I liked the overall package enough that I now carry a K40 that's 100% reliable.

It's my understanding that the CW9 is more reliable than the CW40.

thanks!

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I've shot it and hate it. The recoil reminded me of the Kel-tec p11. Just dreadful.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Sold a PF9 for a CW40. Mine worked without issue.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

VIP Member
    No experience with the CW40, but my wife has the CW9 and I have the CW45. Both are quality built and reliable. While I am a fan of .40 cal I no longer shoot it, due to a past wrist injury. My wrist will no longer hold up to prolonged shooting of the .40 due to the snap back recoil. I would imagine in a small gun the size of the CW40 it will be quite pronounced.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Links