1911 Questions

1911 Questions

This is a discussion on 1911 Questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Let me start by saying that I'm a newbie around here, but not new to firearms .... I think this is a really great forum ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Questions

1911 Questions

Let me start by saying that I'm a newbie around here, but not new to firearms .... I think this is a really great forum with some fine folks and I'm very happy to have found you all. I've owned many handguns in my life, but never a 1911. I've been thinking about adding one to my collection, but just haven't found the right one, so I'm open to suggestions. This would be a shooter and sometime carry weapon(winter months probably), but not a collector's piece. I would appreciate some opinions from those who are 1911 junkies. And yes ..... I know how opinions are ...

1) Which 1911 do you favor and why?
    2) What is your favorite concealment option?
    3) Problems or pitfalls with specific units?

I frequently carry a Kimber Custom TLE II. I bought this before Kimber lost its mind and switched to external extractors (I understand that they have now switched back).

I have over 13,000 rounds through it with only a handfull of malfunctions (all due to operator error ).

For concealment, I generally use a CTAC holster and it is so comfortable, I forget the gun is there . . . . your mileage may vary.

While the Kimber is the only 1911 I have owned, I have fired Wilson, and Springfield.

The big problem you will have is that for every thumbs up on ANY brand, model, etc., you will get an equal number of adamant thumbs down.

My REAL thrill related to the 1911 is that I have fairly small hands (that's right.....hands only. Don't go reading anything into this!!! ), and the 1911 fits them perfectly. I struggle a little on fatter profile guns.

Good luck in your search.

Commander length, all steel

For the application you described - mainly shooting at the range with occasional carry, I'd pick an all stainless steel "Commander" length 1911 (4.0 to 4.25 inch barrel). I believe the all steel gun will hold up better to shooting than the aluminum framed alternatives, and I have never found much difference in accuracy between the full length 1911 (5 inch barrel) and the Commander length. But the Commander length is easier to carry concealed, and you said you would do that occasionally.

Assuming that your budget is in the $800 to $1000 range, the two I would look at are the Colt XSE in all stainless, or the corresponding Kimber Pro Stainless HD. They both weigh about 35 ounces and cost in the range above. If you really wanted to spend more than $1000, you could consider premium brands like Baer, Wilson or Brown. Here is a picture of the Kimber Pro Stainless HD:

Lead Moderator
    I have small hands too. the 1911 fits perfect and seems to aim naturally for me. I own a Springfield (lifetime warranty), and have shot Colts too. Any of the big 1911 names should produce a quality gun . The micro 3" barrels seems to have a few more problems than 4" and 5" guns.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

1) Personally, I like Springfield Armory's 1911's. They are quality pieces at what I would consider a fair price.

Kimbers and others are nice, and I want one of each, but their prices to me at this moment are a little out of range.

2) I like IWB (Inside Waist Band). I don't wear too many coats or jackets even in winter months, so OWB is just not as viable an option. It is a little uncomfortable at first, but you learn how to dress around it for the most comfortable method of carry.

3) Can't comment on this one too much, there are those that I wouldn't want (ie: Llama), but there are others that I would have no problem with (ie: Norinco) that are not high quality.

I have a RIA 1911, pretty rough looking, but it shoots well. As my first 1911, I didn't want to go out and spend a bunch of money. Put some new grips, and a decent set of sights on the RIA, and it turns into a pretty nice gun :)

I'm patiently awaiting more 'personal' reviews of Taurus's 1911. Seems ideal to me, a nice looking 1911, true to J. Browning's design, with all the 'improvements' (beaver tail, ambi safety, checking, etc) and under 5 bills. Just have to replace those ugly rubber grip panels, and it should be a fine looking gun :)
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    i own and shoot a springer i carry some times but for every day carry i bought a high standard i.e. a ria there made in the same plant and deliverd to the same distributor in vegas while the trp dose shoot better i didnt want a beautiful high dollar gun as my carry pice since in california if you have to use your ccw you might never get your gun back i really like the high standard and after a few mods im really becoming atatched to it cost of the sringer 1300 the high standard after mods is at about 600
    but you can get a millspec springer for around five if you can find one

I favor almost any 1911 as long as it works. I have had experience with Colt, Kimber, Para, Detonics, and AMT. I don't think you can go wrong if you get a 1911 from any of the big manufacturers. If you search the boards you will find people that have had problems with every brand, including the high end brands like wilson and brown.

I shoot IDPA with a slightly modified Colt Gold Cup (5")and I carry a Kimber Ultra (3").

If I had to buy my first 1911 over again I would probable go with a 4 inch model b/c it gives you the best of both worlds. I am also a fan of adjustable sights, but thats a personal choice.

I prefer to carry IWB stong side with some forward cant so the grip does not stick out when I bend over

As far was pit falls with the 1911, that would be ammo cost. The guns are just fun to shoot and ammo get expensive. Good Luck, let us know what you decide

1) Which 1911 do you favor and why?
    2) What is your favorite concealment option?
    3) Problems or pitfalls with specific units?
    1) A custom one that someone else has paid for

That said, there are many good 1911s out there. I've got three Kimbers (all Series I) that have done well for me. I prefer the full-size, steel frame for shooting, the compact aluminum for carry. I recently picked up a used Wilson Service Grade that is quite nice. And I've got a mildly customized Colt Delta Elite that I like as well.

2) OWB holster. I'm too fat for IWB.

3) I haven't had as good luck with my ParaOrdnance P14. I've got a Springfield that I'm not as happy with, due to its different geometry (thicker dust cover, thicker front strap), and poor trigger/sear that needed to be replaced. YMMV.

I own 3 Para 1911's, two are 4.25" LTC's and the other is a Slim Hawg for daily carry.
    Paras are great value for your hard earned dollar. Mine have been 100% reliable and are great shooters.

I love my Slim Hawg with a 3" barrel. Easy to conceal and very comfortable in my C-T.A.C. IWB holster.

This is a pic of my Slim Hawg:

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I own 4 Smith & Wesson 1911s and they are my daily carry. For the money they are one of the best bargains in the world of 1911s. Their customer service is tops and the guns have a lifetime warranty. In terms of concealment I use an Alessi PCH, Nossar IWB-III,Sparks VMII or Del Fatti ISP-LP for IWB with a Sparks or Kramer belt. For OWB, an Alessi CQC/S, DOJ/S, Sparks Idaho Quick Mount, NP-1, 60tk or 55bn, Del Fatti LP-QS or Nossar Pancake. No problems with any of the guns or holsters and I have thousands of rounds thru them!

Administrator
    I prefer the Commander length firearm mostly for it's perfect balance and natural point-ability which I think is very slightly better than a full length 1911...though I have carried both.
    I stick to .45 caliber. (personal preference)
    I do not have extended or ambidextrous controls on any of my 1911 pattern firearms because I don't need them.
    I do not have guide rods or recoil buffers in any of my pistols because (in my opinion) they are totally unnecessary.
    I have short triggers installed on my Colts because they are what I am used to.
    I do have match grade barrels in two of my pistols but, I never really saw any problems w/ the standard Colt factory barrel for carry...as long as it is properly fit at the factory.
    All of my Colt pistols are basically stock as far as "add on" modifications are concerned but, all have crisp triggers and have had minor "reliability and action job tuning" done on them...though I'm not sure that they ever really NEEDED to have that done...since all of my Colts honestly functioned fine out of the box.
    But, now they have incredibly flawless performance with my chosen carry ammo which is Gold Dot.
    I carry either in a modified Alessi shoulder rig or OWB at 3:30/4:00O'CLOCK.
    I just LOVE Colt pistols.

Oh...and I buy good quality magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    I do not have extended or ambidextrous controls on any of my 1911 pattern firearms because I don't need them.
    Not to steal any fire from this thread (there are a lot of great opinios and advice), but why do you feel abmi safties unnecessary? I am assuming that you are right handed.

Extended slide releases are more of a luxury than a necessity, I agree.

Perhaps I have become a bit spoiled as it were, but I like having ambi safties. This way no matter what hand I have the weapon in, I can operate the controlls with equal dexterity.

Thanks for all the great information here ..... I knew I would get some good feedback. I've been doing some reading over at the 1911 forum recently too, and each time I go and look at 1911's I'm always drawn back to the Colt. Name, history, reliability, originator, etc. are some of the reasons, even though I've looked at some mighty fine guns from other manufacturers. All the posts are greatly appreciated. .....hmmmm..Decisions - Decisions......

I have 2 colts, one Series 70 GC and one Pre-GC National Match - I carry a Smith 1911sc .. I was in the market for a while, researching the I'net as I assume you are. What I found steered me away from the firearm I was leaning toward, and pointed me to the Smith. I haven't regretted that at all. Good luck .. the answers to any questions you might have are out there .. you've just got to listen!! :-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links