Backup gun choices, Revolver or Pocket Auto?

This is a discussion on Backup gun choices, Revolver or Pocket Auto? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by WC145 I carry a small revolver as a BUG when I'm on duty. I consider it more of a "get off me ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Backup gun choices, Revolver or Pocket Auto?

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    I carry a small revolver as a BUG when I'm on duty. I consider it more of a "get off me gun" than an alternate to my duty gun. Because of that I want the gun that is most likely to work when shoved into someone's ribs and not have to worry about issues like it going out of battery, limp wristing, mags falling out or failing, FTFs and FTEs, etc.
    Yes, I agree with you 100%! My duty gun was a G19 and in certain situations I would carry a back up .38 special J Frame in an ankle holster. Now I'm retired and just carry a Glock 36 as my EDC but I do not feel the need to carry a, as some call it, a bug. I don't even carry a spare magazine. Maybe I should but I just hate to carry extra stuff on my body.

2. Remove Ads

Sometimes being the devil's advocate, I lost a partner and good friend many years ago when his little .38 Special "wheel-bug" dislodged and fell out during a life/death wrestling match with a 3-time loser who wasn't about to submit to a peaceful arrest and go back to prison. He snatched it up and instantly put a bullet through Tim's heart. If it had been a single-action SA (either in condition 1,2, or 3), it wouldn't have instantly fired with a squeeze of the trigger, and my dear friend might have had time to push it aside before the scumbag could figure out how to make it instantly kill him.

Sorry to hear about your friend, too many brothers dying on the job these days. However, you have to choose, as Tim did, between what gun works best for you and the potential for problems that come with that gun. For me a small revolver is always going to be my choice because I need a BUG that will work for me when I need it to, and be easily used with a left hand draw. Small single action autos with a thumb safety don't fit that criteria.

To be honest, the things I'm taking from what you told us about your friend's murder are - 1) Make sure my guns are well secured so they don't get loose until I draw them, and 2) Wear my vest every single shift.
    Never forget. Never forgive.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links