Beretta Bobcat (or Tomcat?) Help Please

This is a discussion on Beretta Bobcat (or Tomcat?) Help Please within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Saw a neat little gun at Gander Mountain, I think it must have been a Tomcat but it was labeled a Bobcat (I know it ...

Thread: Beretta Bobcat (or Tomcat?) Help Please

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar

Saw a neat little gun at Gander Mountain, I think it must have been a Tomcat but it was labeled a Bobcat (I know it had to be a .32 though, way too big of a hole for .22). It looked stainless with some nice thick wood grips on it that felt sweet in my hand. I did a Google search but can't find one anything like it (other than the main functionality of course).

They had it marked at $349, but I think I could talk them down to just under $300... For some reason I really want this thing, but I come to you for experienced advice.

Thanks for any feedback.

neither one in my opinion,i had a tomcat and sold it. It's a nice gun but it's too big and heavy for pocket carry.I bought two Kel-Tec P3AT'S .380's,smaller lighter and more powerful.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

VIP Member
    You didn't say if it was new or used. Bud's have the Tomcat new for $345. with free shipping. The Bobcat looks to run about $270 new. If it is used it is WAY overpriced. But then Gander Mountain has never been known for their pricing. If it used and they're asking $350. for it, they probably have $125-150. in it. I'd pass on it.

Do the grips look like any of these?

Deprecated Browser Error

www.gungripsupply.com

Altamont - Pistol Grips - Beretta Tomcat
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I had the matte version and traded it in for the Inox Tomcat at Bud's. I would still have it, but I traded at my LGS for my new LC9--- just wanted a 9mm instead of the .32acp. I had no problems with the Inox version after about the first 30-40 rounds. I put walnut grips on it and hated to get rid of it!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Sounds like what this one is... maybe it's the Inox version.

Tempting little thing... I have a PM9, so that's covered. I also don't care for the LCP, had one - got rid of it.

Hmmm...

I bought one, just because I wanted it and to play with.... and it is carried in my pocket at times with no problems (typically as a backup). I have heard more problems out of the INOX than the blue versions, and have no idea why.

In terms of price.... if it's in really good shape and you get it between $300 - $349, you got a very good deal.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

The Bobcats can be chambered in 22 LR or 25 Auto: Deprecated Browser Error

The Tomcat is 32 ACP: Deprecated Browser Error

Obviously MSRP is not "Retail" so go look at any of the on-line resources to get a better price idea.

I have two 22 LR's for fun.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

I thought I would add, they also work well for a snapping turtle and snake gun. The .32 cal will kill turtles that a .22 will bounce off of.

For a black Tomcat, the owner had shot 1 mag thru it and decided they didn't want it, I paid $250, which is on the low end of a new one. Another guy had one much more used for $275 and wasn't getting it sold @ that price vs how worn it was (75%).

The Inox, what I"ve seen typically goes about $100 or so higher.

To give you a measuring stick.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Thanks Eagle, so if I could pick up what 'appears' to be a gently used Inox model with nice wood grips for just shy of $300 it would be a fair price in your opinion?

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Saw a neat little gun at Gander Mountain, I think it must have been a Tomcat but it was labeled a Bobcat (I know it had to be a .32 though, way too big of a hole for .22). It looked stainless with some nice thick wood grips on it that felt sweet in my hand. I did a Google search but can't find one anything like it (other than the main functionality of course)
    They had it marked at $349, but I think I could talk them down to just under $300... For some reason I really want this thing, but I come to you for experienced advice.
    Thanks for any feedback.
    Bobcat comes in 22lr OR .25acp - Tomcat in .32

Blue model bobcat retails from about $275 and up - Tomcat $300 and up

Search for Bobcat pistol review on Youtube - good stuff there.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

The Tomcat .32 acp was my very first carry gun in 2004. My LGS recommended it because of the tip-up barrel and I was too weak to rack a slide. It was a neat little gun but it is long, long gone!

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    I have a tomcat- the matte finish one. It is fun and easy to shoot. Ladies like them due to the tip-up barrel. It was used and I got it for 200, including box, cleaning rod, etc. The 32 acp is marginal, let's face it.The gun is too heavy for its caliber. It is obsolete I suppose but I like it, and it is easy to shoot. I very occasionally toss it in my jacket pocket when I go out. Nice safety. It shoots double action on the first pull, then single. Adequate trigger.
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Thanks Eagle, so if I could pick up what 'appears' to be a gently used Inox model with nice wood grips for just shy of $300 it would be a fair price in your opinion?
    To me it would.

Here's some comparison :
    * I just ran the average on 9 Inox Tomcats on Gunbroker... and the average price was $432.00, I believe all new. Then you would add shipping (about $25-30 and FFL transfer $20), for $482.00.

* Guns America; (which typically seems high) the average was $452, + shppg & FFL fee, so about $502.

* Guns America has one (1) used one for $329.00. (+ shppg + ffl fee) - $379.00

* Bud's Gun Shop , has them new for $366, then you pay shipping and an FFL transfer. Around here that would put it near $416.

So, if you can get one in great shape for a little less than $300, to me... that's a very good deal.

I had a Tomcat .32 and sold it. Like most say it is heavy for what it is. I actually had an easier time concealing a S&W 442 than the Tomcat. It doesn't offer very much firepower, and the slide doesn't lock on the last round. The manual says never to dry fire it, so you are always counting the shots in your head. It has very little recoil and for what it is, it is actually pretty accurate. A fun little plinker but not a viable self defense weapon IMHO. There are a lot more guns lighter,more concealable and more powerful in that price range.

Been pondering a 442 for a while now... might have to head that direction and at least cover more bases in my gun selection. :)

Sponsored Links