Glock 36 What other Guns are Good Comparisons in 45ACP?

This is a discussion on Glock 36 What other Guns are Good Comparisons in 45ACP? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a 1911 and never carry it, I have never gotten use to the thumb safety, I know it is a training problem, however, ...

Thread: Glock 36 What other Guns are Good Comparisons in 45ACP?

I have a 1911 and never carry it, I have never gotten use to the thumb safety, I know it is a training problem, however, I like my guns to be simple. I like revolvers, and the Kahr Double action triggers, so I am looking at the GLock 36 or others that compare, I have heard of a lot of quality issues in the Kahr CW45 so I am not sold on that one yet. I am open to S&W, Glock, XD's and maybe the Kahr if the quality issues are fixed.

So what do you own in a compact or sub-compact comparable to the Glock 36 size? Do you like it and how do you carry it and where?

I just got my G36 today...planning on running 50 or so rounds through it at lunch tomorrow. I've had a 1911, a G30, and a Taurus PT845. All of those were really too big for regular carry. The 36 seems like a really good carry size...we'll see how she shoots tomorrow. I'll post a mini review tomorrow night if I get to shoot tomorrow.

I've got an XD40sc that I've had for a while and I REALLY like it. I shoot it well. I was very tempted to go with the XD in .45, but the slimness of the G36 really appealed to me.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I carry a Glock 36 and am very pleased with if.

About the same size as a Glock 19 but dehorned, the front of the slide not being as squired off as is the G19 making it easier to reholster with a leather holster IWB.

Also like the 45acp over 9mm, but that is just a personal opinion of mine.

All and all the G36 is a great carry gun for me.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

I have a 36 in the rotation. Carries very well IWB. Perfect size IMO. It's thin yet recoil is not bad at all.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Use a G36 exclusively. Had to add a Pearce +1 exteners to both mags so the grip would match my big hands but it presented no problem with concealment. Extra round is a plus, too.

RKM
    Agreed. I don't carry 1911's because of the thumb safety. I really only like DAO for carry. I carry a G30, and have become accustomed to the thickness.

What about the Kahr PM45?

When I think about comparisons, I think of the small Kahrs sometimes, but really, it is closest to and Officers Model 1911. That is size, not function.

AsThem others have said, it is them most carryable of the Glocks. If you are ok with the capacity, it makes a fabulous carry piece.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

VIP Member
    Not sure what quality issues you've heard of with the CW45. I carry one daily, have never had any problems with it, even during the break in period. Actually I should qualify that. It refuses to function with cheap steel case ammo, but I don't consider that a problem with the gun.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Sig P245 alternative to Glock 36

I have two small .45s that are alternatives to the Glock 36 - the Colt Defender and the Sig P245. The OP vetoed 1911s, so I will only talk about the Sig.

The advantages of the Sig P245, which holds 6+1 shots, are excellent accuracy and reliability, enough weight to easily handle .45 recoil, and the safety of the DA/SA trigger system with a revolver-like first trigger pull. The Sig is not quite as slim as the Glock 36, but it is slim enough for easy concealment. I carry it in a high ride DeSantis hip holster, outside the waist band. The grip is short so there is no printing problem under a standard cover garment. The magazines are short and slim, so carrying an extra is easy. And the gun is much more attractive than a Glock, in my opinion.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I have a S&W M&P 45c and carry it IWB. Very comfortable to carry, more accurate than I am and no failures through almost 1000 rounds. I believe its a little bit bigger than the G36. I tried numerous times renting the G36, but it just never felt right in my hand. If you have the chance, I recommend trying the M&P.

The Glock 36 is about the perfect carry 45 IMO. I have considered the M&P .45c but it is thicker so I didn't think it would offer me anything over my 30 SF.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

Sponsored Links