First Gun - Page 2

First Gun

This is a discussion on First Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Used, P95 or Snubby, you can't go wrong there. You will get some good advice here. The thing is to not spend alot for a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Gun

Used, P95 or Snubby, you can't go wrong there. You will get some good advice here. The
    thing is to not spend alot for a first gun because you will buy another and to get something
    that is reliable and powerful enough to meet your needs now. Good, show just seen your
    post above.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Take notes on user reviews of different handguns, sort out the pros and cons of what YOU need/want in a handgun. Then go to your gun store and see how the better ones feel in your hand or if possible go shoot one at a range or find a friend that may let you shoot his. I agree not to go buy something just because Johnny Blow says he likes his only to find out its too uncomfortable for you to shoot/carry.

Don't think anyone has mentioned the Walthar P99. Relatively cheap and very reliable. Don't overlook the G19 for unsurpassed reliability and accuracy though.

My first handgun is a 40VE the 40 version of the gun. I have 3000+ rounds through it with no failures at all. It has very good ergonomics, easy to keep clean, S&W has great service and I have used it as an IDPA gun.

Do I used it as a carry gun 365 days a year? No but I do use it during winter. If the SHTF, I would strap it on.

If you looking for a gun to learn on it can either be very positive or negative. It has a long hard trigger pull that does lighten up with dry firing and 500 rounds through it. It will make you a very good shot because it will force you have good trigger control and site alignment. This is where the dry firing comes in.

I would say go for it and practice dry firing it before going to the range. Hope this helps.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I've shot the Sigma before. The trigger felt like I was dragging through gravel. Not smooth at all. The mag kept falling out after each shot also. Not sure what that was about. I would stay away from those, but that's just my opinion. Others have suggested the CZ's and I will add my +1 to that. I have a CZ-75B and love it. The trigger is almost as nice as my SIG P229 and way better than my Glock 23. If you go with the compact, I think you may just be happy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links