First Gun

First Gun

This is a discussion on First Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay so I'm looking to buy my first gun on a somewhat limited budget. I'm leaning towards the S &W Sigma VE 9mm. Most of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Gun

First Gun

Okay so I'm looking to buy my first gun on a somewhat limited budget. I'm leaning towards the S &W Sigma VE 9mm. Most of the reports I've seen and heard are that it's a good one particularly for the price. Has anyone here had any good (or bad) experiences with this one?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    mad, if i may suggest , NEVER buy a gun off of reports . Go to a range , preferably one which rents guns and offers training , avail yourself of both . That being said the only use i would have for any sigma is as a trout line sinker ( flame suit on now ) . The were introduced at the hight of one of S&Ws quality control episodes as a blatent knock off of the glock . IIRC they even had to pay a settlement to glock for infringment . Some folks go thro life liking sigmas , but most of them outgrow the infatuation fairly fast .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I have heard LOTS of good things about CZ guns, Steyr and used Glocks can be had for pretty cheap. The new S&W M&P is supossedly pretty good too, but I don't know how much they cost.

If I was in the market for an inexpensive but quality gun, I'd go CZ.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    LOL hobbes , that or taurus would most likely get my nod depending on my needs .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

If inexpensive and 9mm, is what you want. I would go with CZ myself.

VIP Member
    If there's any chance for you to try any of the weapons you're considering you might want to do that! A range where they rent weapons or a friend that will let you try theirs.

I can't tell you how many guns I have purchased only to be less than happy with them after I shot them!

Just a though.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    I dont know if youve given any thought to one of the Springfield XD line. Theyre affordable, and have proven to be very great shooting pistols. May want to give them a look.
    Fear No Evil.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Also if dependability, reliability, parts cost and simplicity are a factor, you may consider a used GLOCK or S&W snubby....
    both hold value better than Sigmas....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Quote Originally Posted by madmax2976
    Okay so I'm looking to buy my first gun on a somewhat limited budget. I'm leaning towards the S &W Sigma VE 9mm. Most of the reports I've seen and heard are that it's a good one particularly for the price. Has anyone here had any good (or bad) experiences with this one?
    I own one and I don't have anything bad to say, it basically a poorman's Glock (S&W was sued by Glock because it was so close). In my opinion it's not a conceal carry piece as it's just to bulky so it's a duty piece. But if you got a limited budget and you need a pistol now, you could do far worst.

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    what about a ruger P95 in 9 mm? you can pick one up for maybe 350 new in the box. made like a tank. mine is flawless. I agree you should try before you buy if possible.
    God Bless and Good Luck!
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

I got to fondle an M&P the other day...didn't like the trigger at all. There really wasn't any price difference between that and Glock...or several others.

For cheap, good, and 9mm...try CZ or EAA Witness. CDNN had EAA Witness P's for $239. The folks on the CZ Forum recommended them as being very good shooters. They are CZ clones made in Italy by Tanfoglio, the company that makes most of the parts for the Baby Eagle, also a CZ clone...but with a decocker, not a safety. (Many CZ's and Witnesses can be carried with DA or C&L.)

Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

I would look at the Ruger P95 series, they are built like tanks and will eat anything that you feed them. I had a blued P95DC and it was flawless and not too hard to conceal if needed. You could also look at the Kel-Tec P3AT, I have been carrying a 2G for about a year or more now and it has been 100% flawless. There is also the CZ line for which I am not that familiar with but have heard good things about. Most any used S&W revolver is a good choice but have competent gun smith check it out so that you don't get one that is out of time or has a bent crane. Now with so much access to the internet you can find quality used guns at better than reasonable prices. Most of the people that I have spoken with that have bought pistols from CDNN have been more than pleased with them. Usually their finishes are better than advertised and the pistols often have nite-sights.
    If we treat every gun as if it was loaded, then why not treat every individual as if they are armed.

Assistant Administrator
    My second carry gun was the rugged P95DC (fancy that!) - but accepting it being a tad bulky compared to some and hardly pretty - it is a very reliable gun and well worthy IMO of consideration for carry - plus it will help many folks on a tighter budget too.

If it is a first gun and later replaced by something up market - it'll still make an A1 house gun - the P97 also.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

it you are looking for a good first gun then i would go with the s&w model 60 and/or model 36. you can not go wrong with a wheel gun as your first gun. later on you can move over the the autos.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. As I felt the need to get a firearm soon, I went out and purchased one today. The Ruger P95 advocates will be happy to hear that's what I went with. Reasonable price & good reputation - works for me. In one week I'll be taking a CCW course. Of course I'll be spending a day or two on the range before that.

Full speed ahead!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links