Defensive Carry banner

Woods gun

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  wormy 
#1 ·
I have been carrying my single action 44's for woods guns lately. I either take my virginian dragoon or my superblackhawk. I don't know what it is but I just love me a single action revolver (I think it makes me feel like a kid again) I have better and more practical guns for this but I always find myself taking a single action. Question is I want something big and stupit and I have been looking at the magnum research BFR's I have a 500 I have a 454, but I was thinking either a 450 marlin or a 444. I haven't got my hands on anything like this in a revolver and was wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what they are like???

#2 ·
JMO, but a handgun chambered in a rifle caliber is more abuse than I want to put my hand/wrist and shoulder through. I have enough trouble with them after almost 45 years of abuse doing mechanical/electrical work.

#3 ·
You da man if you can carry one of them around and shoot it very much. :smile:

That is way too much gun for me to be toting around in the woods. 44 mag will kill anything around these parts, and sometimes I will only carry a 44-40 single action revolver.

As far as your actual question I can't help you any, don't have any experience in shooting rifle calibers out of handguns. One question for you though is how often do you shoot the 500 and 454? Or is this new urge just an urge for something new. Nothing wrong with that, we all go through that every now and again.

#4 ·
I shoot them pretty often honestly. I can shoot my ruger alaskan 454 with 0 problem and I shoot it pretty well. I figure with the longer barrel and extra weight it might be close to what I am gonna get, but I may be way off base.

#5 ·
I have to agree with Farronwolf, too much gun. Actually, when I'm out knockin around in the woods, I want to enjoy it without lugging around alot of weight. I also want something weather proof.

I have pretty much started exclusively carrying the Glock 22 or Glock 20 for outdoor purposes carried in a chest rig that allows two handed access. Whether it be a salt soaked shirt from perspiration or a hard rain and wet conditions, I don't have to worry about the gun, or it's ability to deal with anything that needs dealin with.

I also load'em with hardcast wfnswc style bullets.

It ain't traditional, but it works for me, and about any critter on two or 4 legs.

Enjoy the selection process of what you choose. That's the funnest part.

#6 ·
'Concur w/Gman. My woods gun is the 10mm/G30 barrel conversion that I got from you.

I understand the love for old school and big calibers in the woods, but if I'm gonna have something getting scratched up in the pricker bushes and marred up as I slide into a wet ravine (did that last weekend), I'd prefer it to be a polymer handgun that I wont be showing off anyway. If I really plan on thumping something, I'll bring the 30-30 along.

#9 ·
Packed a New Army Ruger 7.5" - 44mag - western style when I packed meat pro-hunting, then fell in love with a colt python 6" - and all the new "fancy" (then) HP .357 - then it was a Smith Hi-Cap 9 - now a Smith mod 25 6.75" - they come and they go, but for me a woods gun has to be able to shoot varmit/bird shot...and have a good holster...take a deer if offered...and be fun to shoot..good luck

#10 ·
For a woods gun, if you are just worried mostly about the wild critters then there is no such thing as too much gun if you are comfortable with what you are carrying.

Carry what you want, and enjoy it.

Let's face it, it's not likely that you'll need more than a few shots in the woods to handle an angry animal. At least not in your neck of the woods. Neither one of us lives in brown bear territory, so it's relatively safe country animal wise. Two legged threats to yourself are only something that you need to consider. Arm yourself appropriately for what you are facing and don't look back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.