Woods gun

Woods gun

This is a discussion on Woods gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been carrying my single action 44's for woods guns lately. I either take my virginian dragoon or my superblackhawk. I don't know what ...

Thread: Woods gun

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar

Woods gun

I have been carrying my single action 44's for woods guns lately. I either take my virginian dragoon or my superblackhawk. I don't know what it is but I just love me a single action revolver (I think it makes me feel like a kid again) I have better and more practical guns for this but I always find myself taking a single action. Question is I want something big and stupit and I have been looking at the magnum research BFR's I have a 500 I have a 454, but I was thinking either a 450 marlin or a 444. I haven't got my hands on anything like this in a revolver and was wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what they are like???
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

VIP Member
    JMO, but a handgun chambered in a rifle caliber is more abuse than I want to put my hand/wrist and shoulder through. I have enough trouble with them after almost 45 years of abuse doing mechanical/electrical work.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

You da man if you can carry one of them around and shoot it very much.

That is way too much gun for me to be toting around in the woods. 44 mag will kill anything around these parts, and sometimes I will only carry a 44-40 single action revolver.

As far as your actual question I can't help you any, don't have any experience in shooting rifle calibers out of handguns. One question for you though is how often do you shoot the 500 and 454? Or is this new urge just an urge for something new. Nothing wrong with that, we all go through that every now and again.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I shoot them pretty often honestly. I can shoot my ruger alaskan 454 with 0 problem and I shoot it pretty well. I figure with the longer barrel and extra weight it might be close to what I am gonna get, but I may be way off base.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

I have to agree with Farronwolf, too much gun. Actually, when I'm out knockin around in the woods, I want to enjoy it without lugging around alot of weight. I also want something weather proof.

I have pretty much started exclusively carrying the Glock 22 or Glock 20 for outdoor purposes carried in a chest rig that allows two handed access. Whether it be a salt soaked shirt from perspiration or a hard rain and wet conditions, I don't have to worry about the gun, or it's ability to deal with anything that needs dealin with.

I also load'em with hardcast wfnswc style bullets.

It ain't traditional, but it works for me, and about any critter on two or 4 legs.

Enjoy the selection process of what you choose. That's the funnest part.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    'Concur w/Gman. My woods gun is the 10mm/G30 barrel conversion that I got from you.

I understand the love for old school and big calibers in the woods, but if I'm gonna have something getting scratched up in the pricker bushes and marred up as I slide into a wet ravine (did that last weekend), I'd prefer it to be a polymer handgun that I wont be showing off anyway. If I really plan on thumping something, I'll bring the 30-30 along.

I have a couple 10's I just like big over the top revolvers. I like strange stuff what can I say?????

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    I have a couple 10's I just like big over the top revolvers. I like strange stuff what can I say?????
    Cool. Be sure to post a pic of that monster when you get it!

Packed a New Army Ruger 7.5" - 44mag - western style when I packed meat pro-hunting, then fell in love with a colt python 6" - and all the new "fancy" (then) HP .357 - then it was a Smith Hi-Cap 9 - now a Smith mod 25 6.75" - they come and they go, but for me a woods gun has to be able to shoot varmit/bird shot...and have a good holster...take a deer if offered...and be fun to shoot..good luck

For a woods gun, if you are just worried mostly about the wild critters then there is no such thing as too much gun if you are comfortable with what you are carrying.

Carry what you want, and enjoy it.

Let's face it, it's not likely that you'll need more than a few shots in the woods to handle an angry animal. At least not in your neck of the woods. Neither one of us lives in brown bear territory, so it's relatively safe country animal wise. Two legged threats to yourself are only something that you need to consider. Arm yourself appropriately for what you are facing and don't look back.

Distinguished Member
    test test test. back on the case

I shot a buddies Thompson Contender pistol chambered in .45-70. I shot it only once and never again.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Links