Sig Sauer P 238 - Page 2

Sig Sauer P 238

This is a discussion on Sig Sauer P 238 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i have not bought the p238 for the reasons you put forth even the OMC ( became AMT) from 1975 is the same weight and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Sig Sauer P 238

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    i have not bought the p238 for the reasons you put forth

even the OMC ( became AMT) from 1975 is the same weight and capacity and has a palm grip safety and was safe to
    carry C&L, round chambered. SIG did not bother for what ever reason to have this
    rather necessary feature. and at the price--it would not be asking a lot to have it.

Rhmic---i may also trust it with my life---

its others who i am concerned with if it should become otherwise.
    like the wife sitting across from me at the restraunt or the
    person in the seat in front of me at the movies...
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

When I used to carry my P238 cocked and locked at all times. I kept it in a don hume pocket holster and never had a problem. Cocked and locked is the way the 1911 platform is supposed to be carried, from all I've read and been told anyway. If you can't carry with one in the chamber, when legal to do so, what's the point of carrying it? It was a great gun until I screwed it up putting the recoil spring in backwards. Accurate little thing too.

VIP Member
    Just to reinforce what has been said. Get a good holster and stroke on with it.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I carry my Sig p238 cocked and locked in a desantis nemesis, and have had no problems ever. I love the gun.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I don't have a 238, but I've thought it should be carried cocked and locked. My concern has been the possibility of the exposed and cocked hammer snagging or catching on something during the draw from the pocket. For those you who pocket carry a 238, have you experienced this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary T View Post
    I don't have a 238, but I've thought it should be carried cocked and locked. My concern has been the possibility of the exposed and cocked hammer snagging or catching on something during the draw from the pocket. For those you who pocket carry a 238, have you experienced this problem?
    I have never had that happen. The rear sight does occasionally snag when I practice drawing from my pocket, but that is more from poor form. The hammer is positioned in such a way as to have a low profile when the gun is cocked and locked.
    Chevyguy85 likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Even if the safety is off, as long as your trigger guard is covered, you're good to go.

Practice carrying with snap caps until you feel carrying any gun.

Lifetime NRA Member
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy1933 View Post
    I have a P238 and I have tried two hollow point rounds (winchester and Hornady) and they both dive into the ramp. This is with three different mags. It shoots Remington FMJ without a problem. TIA.
    Mine had problems feeding hollow points, so I cycled a few mags of them through it, and then it was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Lowering the hammer on a live round is bad ju-ju and chamber empty is....less than desirable. The safety is very positive in it's engagement and disengagement, added to that the trigger being covered by the holster and you've got little to worry about.
    I agree. I have a P238 and Sig designed it to be carried condition 1 with its very positive safety and trigger pull lbs. A good holster and there shouldn't be any problems.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tex32Cal View Post
    I'm wondering how safe it would be to carry it cocked and locked with one in the chamber in a pocket holster. It seems to me that the only other options for pocket carry would be either with one in the chamber and the hammer down which would necessitate cocking it before it could be fired, or to carry it with the chamber empty which would make it necessary to rack the slide before firing it.
    Do not try to carry that gun with one in the chamber and the hammer down. Lowering the hammer on an loaded chamber is just plain dumb with that gun. One of the very best ways to have an ND.

The gun was made to be carried cocked and locked. Nothing, repeate nothing, should be in the pocket with the gun except the holster. Nothing. If you get one of the new ones with an ambi safety, get a pocket holster that covers the safety on the side that can be bumped.

The gun has a very good safety and a built in drop safety as well. If you aren't willing to carry it in condition 1, sell it.

My wife has one. She really likes the little pistol for the same reason your wife does, and also because it is pleasant to shoot, has really good sights, and a very nice trigger. My wife carries it cocked and locked with one in the chamber. We went over that before she brought it home.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

36 years ago I bought a Llama 380 as my 1st BUG/off-duty gun. I was a young rookie Deputy and I thought my 2/3 scale 1911 was COOL... I never was able to get comfortable carrying C&L. Maybe that would have changed with a better holster, or not... I traded that 380 for a S&W M38 Airweight Bodyguard and never regretted that decision.
    I now comfortably carry my 8 shot DAO Kel Tec PF9, it kicks just about as hard as my old M38, but I have 3 more rounds, and I think it's still pretty COOL!

I have a 238 and love it. The safety is very positive, so cocked and locked is more a matter of preference than safety.
    Whatever the wife chooses, she should carry it in a holster that covers the safety as well as the trigger.
    So, the choice is: Cocked and locked, hammer down on the loaded chamber, or empty chamber and rack the slide.
    In my experience, it's easier to rack the slide than to cock the hammer.

I do agree that the 238 is perfect for a woman, easy slide to rack, mild recoil, looks good, real night sights. Fun to shoot. I let my womon friend shoot mine, and she loved it.

I've handled the 238 and it is a sweet little gun. The only reason I wouldn't carry one is the thumb safety. I'm not a huge fan of manual safeties on defensive firearms, but I will say that you would have one heck of a time accidentally knocking that thumb safety off.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

I just bought one for summer carry, I ran about 150 rounds through it last weekend... it performed well.. I need to get use to the low recoil
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links