Sig Sauer P 238

Sig Sauer P 238

This is a discussion on Sig Sauer P 238 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need some input on carrying a Sig P238. My wife bought one today because the slide was easy for her to rack, and the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Sig Sauer P 238

Sig Sauer P 238

I need some input on carrying a Sig P238. My wife bought one today because the slide was easy for her to rack, and the gun felt good in her hand. She would like to carry it in a pocket holster in her front pocket. However, I've got some concerns about that inasmuch as the P 238 is a single action only firearm. Although it has a very nice thumb operated safety, I'm wondering how safe it would be to carry it cocked and locked with one in the chamber in a pocket holster. It seems to me that the only other options for pocket carry would be either with one in the chamber and the hammer down which would necessitate cocking it before it could be fired, or to carry it with the chamber empty which would make it necessary to rack the slide before firing it. This could be a serious problem during an emergency.
    I would appreciate some input on this issue from owners of P 238s or similar single action only semi-autos.

Thanks,

Michael
    America. The land of the free because of the brave.

my wife isnt' comfortable w/ carrying C&L either....She's been carrying hammer cocked, safety off, nothing in the chamber. She can easily rack one in the slide. I do worry about something going wrong, so I've tried to teach her about the gun and the safety.

Even though it's not my preferred method of carrying, it's whatever she's comfortable with at this point. I'm hoping that as she becomes more comfortable w/ the gun, she'll start to carry C&L. We've only had it about a month now....

When I carry it I'm cocked and locked always....

I wish I had better news.. But my wife has a P238 and lately she hasn't even been carrying it. When she does, it is chamber-empty. I like the safety on the P238 because it can be deactivated with one hand. If I were carrying that particular pistol, I'd keep it chambered with the safety on and practice turning off the safety during my draw.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by marklind View Post
    When I carry it I'm cocked and locked always....
    You must feel pretty confident in the thumb safety. Do you carry it in your pocket?

Michael
    America. The land of the free because of the brave.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tex32Cal View Post
    You must feel pretty confident in the thumb safety. Do you carry it in your pocket?

Michael
    I've carried the 238 and it's predecessor, the Colt Mustang C&L in front and back pocket without issue. Lowering the hammer on a live round is bad ju-ju and chamber empty is....less than desirable. The safety is very positive in it's engagement and disengagement, added to that the trigger being covered by the holster and you've got little to worry about.

A good pocket holster that covers the safety would alleviate any fears and allow cocked & locked carry. If she's not comfortable with that, how quickly can she draw and cock it at the same time (practice unloaded until sure of it)?
    1911 model of colt .45's have a half-cock safety or with chambered round, slight cock and you hear a click, which holds
    it and keeps it from hitting the firing pin (if you drop it and it lands on the hammer). I have carried this way in the pocket with
    no worries...does that gun have one? I would not rely on an empty chamber because an attack is so sudden you're not going to be able to rack the slide unless you are on full alert for dangers all the time and see it coming.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I've carried the 238 and it's predecessor, the Colt Mustang C&L in front and back pocket without issue. Lowering the hammer on a live round is bad ju-ju and chamber empty is....less than desirable. The safety is very positive in it's engagement and disengagement, added to that the trigger being covered by the holster and you've got little to worry about.
    These are words of experience. I fell the same way as JD and have done so many times. The holster almost acts like a safety if you ask me.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I carry a Sig P238 cocked and locked all the time now. When I first got it, to warm up to the idea, I carried cocked, not locked, on an EMPTY chamber, for a couple weeks. In all that time I never once found the hammer down. So I have the utmost confidence in carrying cocked and locked on a loaded chamber.

That said, if you or your wife are uncomfortable with it... go with something else. Something you're comfortable with. Maybe the Smith and Wesson Bodyguard .380?

But with a proper holster, and a little bit of time getting comfortable with, the sig p238, is in my humble opinion, a fantastic and safe pocket pistol. FWIW.

Sig sells an excellent leather pocket holster that can accommodate the P238 with and without laser. It reaches high enough to completely cover the safety.

I've been pocket carrying a P238 for a few months with no problems. I was also a bit nervous about the whole cocked and locked thing but now I don't even think about it. Not once has the safety disengaged itself. I started to carry it at the end of summer while wearing shorts with bigger pockets and now I've pocket carried it while wearing jeans with slightly smaller pockets. Once again, never a problem. Take a look at the manual and you'll find that this Sig comes with a firing pin block and an "accidental" hammer drop notch that stops the hammer from falling all the way without the trigger being pulled. That, plus a substantial pull on the trigger to actually fire the P238 makes it a pretty safe handgun to pocket carry. Some people out there might have heard of problems with carrying cocked and locked with older guns of past years but this is definitely not a problem with this modern handgun. I trust it with my life.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

BK
    I have a p238. Not only is the safety VERY positive but the trigger is quite heavy for a single action. I can't see the safety coming off on it's own but even if it did you still have a 7-8 lb trigger pulll to overcome. If it's in a pocket holster that covers the safety and the trigger I can't really see how you could have a problem.

yep, sig intentionally left the trigger pull 8.5lbs b/c they knew it would be a carry gun...can't remember where I read that, I'll try to find the link.

I was nervous about c&l for the first few days...the safety is excellent and it comes w/ a great holster so I'm not concerned.

it's like I always say the best safety is the one between my ears haha (which might not be so good after all lolol)

first you should take that P238 to the range and shoot, shoot, shoot....

Mikes #1 holster is good enough for pocket carry. I carry chamber loaded, hammer up and safety on, in wallet pocket. out of sight and out of mind.

Needs some oil love every couple weeks.

I have a P238 and I have tried two hollow point rounds (winchester and Hornady) and they both dive into the ramp. This is with three different mags. It shoots Remington FMJ without a problem. TIA.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

I carry the P238 daily in either a Remora or kydex pocket holster, cocked and locked, round in chamber. FMJs only.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links