Glock or Sig Sauer?

This is a discussion on Glock or Sig Sauer? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for a nice new 9mm CC gun. Glock 19 or Sig Sauer 229? Which would you choose and why? I HAVE OWNED ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Glock or Sig Sauer?

Glock or Sig Sauer?

I am looking for a nice new 9mm CC gun. Glock 19 or Sig Sauer 229? Which would you choose and why? I HAVE OWNED glock and love them. Curious about Sigs.

2. Remove Ads

There is no autoloading handgun more reliable than a Gen 3 Glock 19 except maybe the Gen 3 Glock 17. This isn't even a contest, as Sig is no longer what it used to be; the Sig glory days have long since passed.

Proof: U.S. GAO - B-402339.3, Sig Sauer, Inc., July 23, 2010

Hell, I'd take a Gen 3 Glock 19 for CC over any autoloading handgun ever made. If you offered me the choice between a Nighthawk Custom 1911 and a Glock 19 for free, I'd take the Nighthawk, sell it, and then buy 2 more Glock 19s with enough money left over for over 10,000 rounds of practice ammunition.

FWIW, this would have been a much better debate if you'd have said Glock 19 vs. Sig P228, as the Sig P228 was a worthy contender. The P229, however, is not.

P.S. You say you love Glocks, so what has you looking at a Sig P229 for CC?
    Guest1, Lyndo and MadMac like this.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I've owned both guns in .40, (the G22/23 and the P229). Both are fantastic weapons, both have advantages and disadvantages. I, myself prefer the Sig and carry a P229 SCT regularly. I've owned four Sigs, a late 90's P229 and P239, and two 2010 P229 SCTs, they have all been perfection. I'm not as happy with Sig's decisions as a company lately, but I've experienced no issues personally with their firearms that I own. Shoot both and decide for yourself.

I'm a lefty and a bit of a dinosaur. The ergonomics of the Glock work better for me. The Sig is less lefty friendly and I have had certain models that would eject the magazine due to my trigger finger hitting the release. As a gunsmith I find the Glock much easier to work on, with a huge market in custom and aftermarket parts.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

AZ Hawk has completely blowed this up,no need for anymore post on this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    There is no autoloading handgun more reliable than a Gen 3 Glock 19 except maybe the Gen 3 Glock 17. This isn't even a contest, as Sig is no longer what it used to be; the Sig glory days have long since passed.

Hell, I'd take a Gen 3 Glock 19 for CC over any autoloading handgun ever made. If you offered me the choice between a Nighthawk Custom 1911 and a Glock 19 for free, I'd take the Nighthawk, sell it, and then buy 2 more Glock 19s with enough money left over for over 10,000 rounds of practice ammunition.

FWIW, this would have been a much better debate if you'd have said Glock 19 vs. Sig P228, as the Sig P228 was a worthy contender. The P229, however, is not.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post

I didn't see anything in the link you submitted that said they were testing the Sig 229. I did see where the requirement was for a polymer frame pistol. Unless there is a variation out that I'm not aware of, the 229 is a metal frame. They may have been testing the 2022 which is a polymer gun.

Personally I'd pass on both the Sig and Glock. Both are good guns, just not what I prefer.

While Glocks are a good gun, just remember, not everyone wants to drink the grape kool-aid everyday, some folks like variety in their lives.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Wink

Glock, Glock and only Glock. Why even ask? LOL

I discovered the Sig 225 and love it for those with smaller hands.

If you love Glocks, and many do, get it.

If the Sig failed to advance to phase III testing, which weapon did the agency finally settle on and procured? The S&W or the Glock?

Distinguished Member
    Both are great weapons, all depends on what you are looking for. I prefer Glocks due to the lighter weight, smaller grip and consistant trigger pull.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

I have both, both are in my carry rotation, both excellent guns. I'm a Sig Certified Armorer and really like my 239 and 229DAK, but can't find any faults with my Glock either (although I admit I re-holster a little more carefully with the Glock because there's no hammer to rest my thumb against).

I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

My EDC, HD, competition, SHTF, and favorite range toy is my Gen 3 GLOCK 19. I don't know much about Sigs, but you just can't beat a GLOCK 19 for reliability, durability simplicity, capacity, and affordability. Go with what you knowm go with GLOCK.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I have a Glock 23 and a Sig P229 Elite in .40. Completely different animals. I would suggest you go shoot both (including both the Sig DA/SA & DAK triggers) and then decide what you shoot better.

They have different grip angles and one may point better than the other for you.
    .XX likes this.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have several Glocks and a P228. The 228 does melt into my hand. But I like the lower bore axis and trigger on the Glock better. I think that Sigs problems started w/ their polymer line.

The 228 stays in the safe and comes out for a run at the range every now and again. But everytime I leave the house, a Glock of one model or another goes in my holster.
    Lyndo likes this.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Having a West German Sig is like having a lightsaber, not as clumsy or random as a glock.
    United States Air Force Security Forces Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran, now a college student.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links