CCW - Opinions Needed - Page 2

CCW - Opinions Needed

This is a discussion on CCW - Opinions Needed within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Practice.........practice........practice...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: CCW - Opinions Needed

Practice.........practice........practice

I disagree that the accuracy would be significantly different. I know long distance rifle shots can have variance with the cold bore shot vs. follow up shots, but I do not think this effect would be noticeable in a handgun.

Secondly your reasoning that a second shot is not needed IF you put your first shot in the right place is correct. However, that is a very large IF. IF you hit the bad guy between the eyes he will stop, but statistically the one shot stop from a handgun is largely a myth.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bwaltman View Post
    IF you hit the bad guy between the eyes he will stop...
    Tell that to the Floridian woman who was shot between the eyes with a .44 and didn't even know she was shot until she saw blood.

While the chances of surviving a head shot are certainly lower and many people who have survived were rendered unconscious and needed lots of medical attention in order to survive others have had bullets skirt their skulls and needed little medical attention. Some were even able to continue fighting (the story of the soldier shot in the tooth comes to mind).

There are no guarantees. Not even with head shots.

Don't expect any type of shot to stop an attacker (even if it is statistically likely), just keep shooting until he stops.

Welcome to the forum.

Please don't buy any gun on the advise of a salesman. They get paid to push product, any product, sometimes it's what's not selling, just to move inventory.

As far as the 40 not being accurate on followup shots. I've never heard that one before! That's on your ability not the gun.

I also would suggest the Glock 19 over the 26. I have a 26 and a 17. The 26 has never been much easier to conceal for me than the 17. I've been seriously considering selling my 26 since I carry 17 much more often.
    Question Everything!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SigMan22 View Post
    I currently carry a SIG P229 E2, which is excellent by the way, in a kangaroo holster, which is also excellent and highly recommended, but I am currently in the market for something a little smaller. I was looking at the Sig P250 and was informed that those have accumulated a high number of complaints recently. I started looking at the Glock 27 (.40) and the Glock 26 (9mm) and the salesman was pushing the fact that the .40 is not accurate after the first shot. After looking at those three, I also started to look at the Springfield XD sub compact. With that said, here are a couple of questions for you....
    First off, if I put a .40 hollow point accurately into someone, I don't necessarily care about the 2nd shots' accuracy...right? Secondly, would anyone recommend a revolver over a semi and why? Lastly, Glock 27, Glock 26, Springfield XD, or Sig P250 and why?
    Every time I have changed my edc (only twice, actually) I moved to larger, not smaller. While SIG would not be my first choice, if it is working well for you, why change? Anytime I hear the words "I was told" or "the guy behind the gun counter said", my alarms go off. As for complaints regarding a particular model, same thing. What I have heard about gen4 Glocks, for example has been generally unfavorable, yet mine has performed flawlessly, just like my 3rd generation. If SIG is your brand, give that model a chance. If I were looking at a 27-esque subcompact, it would be a toss-up between the Glock and M&P.

Thank you for the suggestion sgb.
    After reviewing all of the posts, watching the trillion reviews online of all of my choices and putting them in my hands at the gun shop, the M&P 40C really stood out and is everything I was looking for! I can't wait to buy and shoot it.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    40c is a great choice, as long as you're comfortable shooting it and able to shoot well. If possible, find a range that rents them and shoot at least 50 to 100 rounds before you buy. I equipped mine with CT laser grip and haven't looked back.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Thanks, I'll have to look into not only finding a place that rents, but finding the time to rent it! Looking forward to it though!

I currently carry a SIG P229 E2, which is excellent by the way, in a kangaroo holster, which is also excellent and highly recommended, but I am currently in the market for something a little smaller. I was looking at the Sig P250 and was informed that those have accumulated a high number of complaints recently. I started looking at the Glock 27 (.40) and the Glock 26 (9mm) and the salesman was pushing the fact that the .40 is not accurate after the first shot. After looking at those three, I also started to look at the Springfield XD sub compact. With that said, here are a couple of questions for you....
    First off, if I put a .40 hollow point accurately into someone, I don't necessarily care about the 2nd shots' accuracy...right? Secondly, would anyone recommend a revolver over a semi and why? Lastly, Glock 27, Glock 26, Springfield XD, or Sig P250 and why?
    #1 your salesman is full of..to put it nicely DUNG. If the .40 was so crappy why would so many Police agencies use it..so all their officers could hit a bad guy only 1 time...I dont like the round because of the recoil characteristics..I like the .45 ACP BETTER so its not a recoil adverse reaction and the .45 ACP has plenty..its the way a .40 and ,45 ACP recoil they are different... the .40 has more up/down SNAP to it and the .45 ACp has more of a slower rolling inline recoil which I like better...now that said many like .40S&W and its just fine and no less accurate than any other 2nd round followup if you actually train and practice as everyone should...I actually think any of the platforms you mentioned would be good. Make sure what ever you get you like and fits your hand right..for example even though I can shoot a Glock quite well I dont own one anymore cause they just do not fit/feel right in my hands and there are plenty of other just as good and reliable guns out there these days that are just as relaible and feel better in my hand..I settled on the Ruger SR9c..they now have a SR40 C take a look a it...my short list would be the Sig 250,M&P 9mm and .40 and .45 ACP compact, XD(m) compact,Ruger SR9/40 C.

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Um the .40 may be less accurate on follow up shots due to it's snappier recoil FOR SOME PEOPLE. This will vary shooter to shooter, some may even have trouble on 9mm.

I would never consider one accurate shot with any pistol caliber a one shot stop. You definitely need to worry about the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, well lets just say until the threat is stopped.

Revolvers are great guns, reliable, simple, easy to load. A semi-automatic usually has more capacity and is faster to reload for most people. One of the weakest points on a semi-auto is the magazine which is why it's a good idea to carry and extra loaded magazine.

Lastly, GLOCK is the way to go. 26 or 27 you should shoot both and see which is more accurate for you. My EDC is a GLOCK 19, and I conceal it 365 days a year with no problems.
    Joker is on target with the comments. In the same size gun, a 40 is going to be a bit slower on an aimed followup shot compared to a 9mm. But the question is what do YOU shoot best and is still sufficiently comfortable for you to carry every day? Figure that out and you are good to go. For me, if I'm carrying a 9, its a G26.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

My dept. recently switched to the S&W, M&P .40 so I am forced to retire my 1911 duty pistol for the past 15 years. I bought the M&P 40c for a "back-up" so they are compatible. I do not find the .40 to be any more difficult, just different. I have only put 400 rounds through the M&P 40c but it performs very well at this point and I am happy with it if I can't carry my 1911. Good Luck
    A Wise Man Changes His Mind, but a Fool Never Does

If you are an inch higher after the first shot who cares. The .40 is the dominate cartridge in law enforcement how do they manage?? When the poop hits the fan trust me recoil will be the last thing on your mind. As for the p 250 I think they have got it finally worked out. In that same price range there is the 2022 I personally know it is good to go. I had a 229 and loved it . My best friend carries it now and I would love to have it back. I now carry a hk p30 in .40 and a glock 23 both really nice. The 27 has a great following one of my range buddies carries it and it brings a heck of alot of fire power in such a small package. The 2022 that I suggested is almost identically the same size as your 229 so it might not be what you are looking fore. I hope this helps.

+1 on the Sig P239, on paper it looks like it comes up short in a lot of categories. But after I held and shot one it just works!
    All my 239 I have are in DAK, takes a little time to get the feel of the trigger but for CC it is the platform I am most comfortable
    with.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    First off, if I put a .40 hollow point accurately into someone, I don't necessarily care about the 2nd shots' accuracy...right?
    See thread "Another win for the good guys" under Carry & Defensive Scenarios. The home owner shot a home intruder with a rifle at very short range and the BG still lived.

Quote Originally Posted by FLSlim View Post
    Joker is on target with the comments. In the same size gun, a 40 is going to be a bit slower on an aimed followup shot compared to a 9mm. But the question is what do YOU shoot best and is still sufficiently comfortable for you to carry every day? Figure that out and you are good to go. For me, if I'm carrying a 9, its a G26.
    So 9mm is the way to go? I never even considered that a 40 could be problematic...interesting! Is this the same for a 357, 10mm, or 45?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links