CCW - Opinions Needed

This is a discussion on CCW - Opinions Needed within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently carry a SIG P229 E2, which is excellent by the way, in a kangaroo holster, which is also excellent and highly recommended, but ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: CCW - Opinions Needed

CCW - Opinions Needed

I currently carry a SIG P229 E2, which is excellent by the way, in a kangaroo holster, which is also excellent and highly recommended, but I am currently in the market for something a little smaller. I was looking at the Sig P250 and was informed that those have accumulated a high number of complaints recently. I started looking at the Glock 27 (.40) and the Glock 26 (9mm) and the salesman was pushing the fact that the .40 is not accurate after the first shot. After looking at those three, I also started to look at the Springfield XD sub compact. With that said, here are a couple of questions for you....
    First off, if I put a .40 hollow point accurately into someone, I don't necessarily care about the 2nd shots' accuracy...right? Secondly, would anyone recommend a revolver over a semi and why? Lastly, Glock 27, Glock 26, Springfield XD, or Sig P250 and why?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SigMan22 View Post
    the salesman was pushing the fact that the .40 is not accurate after the first shot.
    I never heard that one before?
    ironmike86 likes this.

Your salesman is ignorant

Spend some time reading here on DC and you'll figure it out
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    I currently carry a SIG P229 E2, which is excellent by the way, in a kangaroo holster, which is also excellent and highly recommended, but I am currently in the market for something a little smaller. I was looking at the Sig P250 and was informed that those have accumulated a high number of complaints recently. I started looking at the Glock 27 (.40) and the Glock 26 (9mm) and the salesman was pushing the fact that the .40 is not accurate after the first shot. After looking at those three, I also started to look at the Springfield XD sub compact. With that said, here are a couple of questions for you....
    First off, if I put a .40 hollow point accurately into someone, I don't necessarily care about the 2nd shots' accuracy...right? Secondly, would anyone recommend a revolver over a semi and why? Lastly, Glock 27, Glock 26, Springfield XD, or Sig P250 and why?
    More likely, HE isn't accurate after the first shot in ANY caliber.

Read, learn as much as you can, then ask specific questions. What you have sofar is just going to get you opinions, and EVERYONE has those!

BTW, welcome to DC!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Um the .40 may be less accurate on follow up shots due to it's snappier recoil FOR SOME PEOPLE. This will vary shooter to shooter, some may even have trouble on 9mm.

I would never consider one accurate shot with any pistol caliber a one shot stop. You definately need to worry about the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, well lets just say until the threat is stopped.

Revolvers are great guns, reliable, simple, easy to load. A semi-automatic usually has more capacity and is faster to reload for most people. One of the weakest points on a semi-auto is the magazine which is why it's a good idea to carry and extra loaded magazine.

Lastly, GLOCK is the way to go. 26 or 27 you should shoot both and see which is more accurate for you. My EDC is a GLOCK 19, and I conceal it 365 days a year with no problems.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Senior Moderator
    ... the salesman was pushing the fact that the .40 is not accurate after the first shot.
    What your salesman might have meant (at least I hope so) is that the .40 (and .357SIG and 10MM, etc) are some very high-energy rounds and difficult for some people to control well. They have the highest rate of producing flinching in even seasoned shooters which, as you can guess, can greatly effect accuracy. Granted, some people can control them VERY well and there is nothing wrong with the accuracy of the round itself. That being said, I usually try to steer people away from the .40 myself. Almost EVERY SINGLE student I have who brings a .40 to class (even men with heavy guns) have more flinching problems than with any other service caliber (I have yet to have a .357SIG or 10MM in class). I've often let my students shoot my 9mm or even .45 just to get them over the flinch and they do very very well and don't want to go back to the .40 once they've seen how well they can shoot (and follow up) with another caliber.

So, no... it's not the round accuracy but what the shooter can do with it.

First off, if I put a .40 hollow point accurately into someone, I don't necessarily care about the 2nd shots' accuracy...right?
    Ooooohhh.. be VERY careful with this type of thinking.

Even a well placed round has no stopping guarantee. Many a bad guy has needed MANY more shots than one to be taken down therefore accuracy and follow up are very important in a carry firearm. Not to mention you are going to be up against a moving target that is trying to hurt you. You might not get your shots to hit exactly where you want them and you are going to need something you can control as well as you are able. If that is not the .40 than that's not the gun for you.

Secondly, would anyone recommend a revolver over a semi and why? Lastly, Glock 27, Glock 26, Springfield XD, or Sig P250 and why?
    A lot of people would recommend revolvers over semi-autos due to their simplicity of arms and the fact that they are LESS likely to jam. Some people will say (erroneously) that revolvers don't jam. That is just not true. They do not jam as often but when they do it is usually a very nasty thing and not so easy fixed as "tap, rack, bang" in your semi autos.

All of the firearms you listed in your last sentence are good. The 27 of course is a .40 and we've already discussed that. Some people don't like how small the 26 but that's personal preference. Springfield XDs are great guns and very popular. The SIG 250 is good too, but, I believe a little more bulky than what you are looking for, but that's just my opinion.

Administrator
    Wow. Find a new gun store. Are you sure you didn't misunderstand him?
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum.

As to the salesmans statement, (to keep myself out of trouble) he's full of..........HIMSELF. The caliber has nothing to do with the accuracy, it's the person behind the gun.

As to a lighter gun for carrying, you might want to take a look at the Kahr CW line of pistols. Available in 9, .40 and .45. Reliable, lightweight, accurate and a very smooth trigger. My wife has the CW9 for carry ad I carry a CW45 daily.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

First off, if I put a .40 hollow point accurately into someone, I don't necessarily care about the 2nd shots' accuracy...right?
    That thought sent a shiver down my spine... One should ALWAYS care where EVERY shot is going and be confident you can make the shot, or don't shoot. What if your second shot that you don't care about completely misses and hits an innocent person? If this is really how you think, I hope you reconsider carrying a gun until you come to your senses.

Distinguished Member
    1. (salesman was pushing the fact that the .40 is not accurate after the first shot) The salesman is a idiot, the .40 cal is very accurate through every shot as long as your practice. There is going to be a bit more recoil with the .40 over a 9mm but mastering the .40 isn't hard if you put the practice in.

2. (First off, if I put a .40 hollow point accurately into someone, I don't necessarily care about the 2nd shots' accuracy...right?) Unless you put the round through the guys head and destroy the brain stem of the BG you are most likely going to have to fire more than one shot. Also during very high stress encounters you are going to fire more than one round that is just human nature really. Finely pistol rounds are way under powered so the thought of one shot ending the fight is nuts.

3. (Secondly, would anyone recommend a revolver over a semi and why?) Both are great weapons find something that you can shoot well and feel comfortable carrying. Also learn the strengths and weaknesses of both platforms before making your decision.

4. (Lastly, Glock 27, Glock 26, Springfield XD, or Sig P250 and why?) All those platforms are great. I personally carry a Glock 27 because it was my backup when I was a reserve LEO. I don't see a whole lot of real difference in a 9mm over a .40 cal for civilian carry. I would lean toward a 9mm if I could do it over again because of the price difference between 9mm and .40 and my ability to practice a whole lot more with 9mm. You might here some people gripe about the SIG P250, I have two of them with thousands of rounds thought them without any problem. You will also see on here and other forums that people are having the same luck I am. The issues with the P250 have been worked out from all indications I've seen.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

Thanks to all of you for sharing your thoughts thus far. I appreciate all of your input, and will certainly consider all of it before making a purchase. I look forward to seeing more input!

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    That thought sent a shiver down my spine... One should ALWAYS care where EVERY shot is going and be confident you can make the shot, or don't shoot. What if your second shot that you don't care about completely misses and hits an innocent person? If this is really how you think, I hope you reconsider carrying a gun until you come to your senses.
    Obviously, most people who possess a firearm, more specifically concealed, have a great respect for safety of the weapon and all those around it. I am no different. Though it may have been poorly typed, the intention of the sentance was simply meant to imply that shot #1 hits accurately center mast and it isn't a big deal if subsequent shots are slightly above or below center mast.

Limatunes nailed it, expertly. The .40 is a high pressure round and it can intimidate people when they fire it. It obviously intimidated your salesman. With a proper grip, the .40 is one of the fastest follow up calibers out there. I shot USPSA with it for years and won a LOT of matches with it, but we're talking 10s of thousands of rounds--probably hundreds of thousands. For me it's the way to go, but I recognize it's foibles for new shooters.

I'd recommend a GLOCK 19 or 23 over the 26/27 just for the extra half inch of grip. Not for control, but for ease of draw.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

sgb
    Take a hard look at the M&P 9c ......... oh, your salesman is a tard.

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Someone forgot to tell my 40 cal, 185 gr. JHP, Good Night

What about the Sig P239?

It's a bit smaller than your 229, but you have the same system.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links