Ruger SR40 - very impreessed with it - here's the story...

This is a discussion on Ruger SR40 - very impreessed with it - here's the story... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My range, Shooter's Depot is having Ruger Weekend and that means that Ruger has supplied some demo guns to shoot - for free! I wasn't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Ruger SR40 - very impreessed with it - here's the story...

Senior Moderator

My range, Shooter's Depot is having Ruger Weekend and that means that Ruger has supplied some demo guns to shoot - for free!

I wasn't about to pass up a chance to shoot a free gun and I chose the SR40. Well, the range officer could only give me 5 rounds, so I had to make do with that. They also had some paper targets set up in 'test' lanes, so off I go.

I would have loved to shoot my 25 shot eval drills, but I only had 5 rounds - in hindsight, which is always 20-20, I should have bought a box of ammo - and may yet.

So what to do with five rounds? Well, I decided on five shots at 5 yards at the 2 of diamonds; here's the result - well let me explain two things first. The wrinkle is because I had to dig it out of the trash later. The shot at the top isn't one of mine; mine are all in the center of the card. For reference these appear to be the same size as standard cards:

The trigger was simply superb! Soft and smooth, but it could use just a bit of smoothing up - then it'd be really special. Shooting/indexing was easy, what can I say? Even for my old eyes! I'll tell you what, I'm way too young to be this old - I don't like it!

The gun weighs about 26 oz and though I rarely shoot .40 cal, I can't even remember the recoil - nothing about it.

The rear sight is adjustable, I think both windage and elevation.

If they had a SR9 in stock, I do believe I would have bought it. The 9mm version holds 17 + 1. Not sure what the .40 capacity is.

Nice gun; I liked it a lot better than I thought I would.
    QKShooter likes this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Thanks for the report. This is my top choice for my next purchase! BTW the SR-40 holds 15+1. Everyone I know who has shot one says the recoil is soft for a .40 caliber. And yes, we all know recoil is subjective.
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

VIP Member
    Too bad it's a Ruger! Refer to thread "Which Firearm You Will Never Own" LOL
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Thanks for the report, Tangle. I have an SR9c, and when I look at my firearms log, I notice that i have shot my SR9c more than any of my guns purchased in the last 5 years. The reason is it's just such a great shooter! I must say though that my Sig 250 in 40 caliber has now (since I've conquered the double action trigger) become a tack driver.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Administrator
    Nice shooting.

Oh you picked the Two Of Diamonds for some predestined reason?

Lemme see if I remember my TAROT

Two of Diamonds. Hummmmmmmmmmm?? LOYALTY - Possibly a serious major love affair in your future...
    Or FUN. If you face an obstacle or get unexpected or unwanted news then try to not take it seriously and try to find a fun way around it or a fun way to cope with it.

That will be $5.00 please.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    hogdaddy likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    Thanks for the report, Tangle. I have an SR9c, and when I look at my firearms log, I notice that i have shot my SR9c more than any of my guns purchased in the last 5 years. The reason is it's just such a great shooter! I must say though that my Sig 250 in 40 caliber has now (since I've conquered the double action trigger) become a tack driver.
    You know, Freedomofchoice, I completely understand what you're saying about the P250. I've felt that way from it's introduction and it seems to really be taking off now.

BTW, you may want to check out a thread in the Sigforum about a guy starting a P250 project. It's not what he's doing so much, as I'm sure it's all been done before, I've probably done everything with my P250s that he can - such as cutting a full-size frame down to the compact slide and barrel to create a 'Commander' profile, i.e. compact barrel/slide on a full size grip. But what I think you might find interesting is why he picked the P250 over all the other choices.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Nice shooting.

Oh you picked the Two Of Diamonds for some predestined reason?

Lemme see if I remember my TAROT

Two of Diamonds. Hummmmmmmmmmm?? LOYALTY - Possibly a serious major love affair in your future...
    Or FUN. If you face an obstacle or get unexpected or unwanted news then try to not take it seriously and try to find a fun way around it or a fun way to cope with it.

That will be $5.00 please.
    Hmmm, why did I pick the two of diamonds??? Oh, I remember - it was a clean card near the center of the target. Hmmm, or could there have been a subliminal drive behind the choice!

VIP Member
    You had to write this review, didn't you!!! I may just have to go to the range this weekend and check one out. My wife is going to hate you.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    You had to write this review, didn't you!!! I may just have to go to the range this weekend and check one out. My wife is going to hate you.
    Hooo boy - it sounds like I've got myself in trouble.

Well, since I'm already in trouble with her, you might as well go ahead and tell her that if you don't check out the SR9 this weekend, I'll be mad at you and make your life miserable. I doubt that'll work, but it's better than anything else you got going.

Hey, and what's with the Ruger dis? I wasn't aware the SR9/40 was problematic - have I missed something?

Administrator
    Huh..interesting. I wonder if the demo gun was well worn or even souped up a bit over the typical off the shelf gun. My impression of the SR's was that of a typical Ruger pistol; well built, but in need of some serious refinement.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Ruger is the ONLY manufacture that I hav'nt had to send a gun back in my life, Though I know that lemons slip through, Plus their recalls ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I have shot an SR9 quite a bit and it was nice. I would love to see a SR45.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyndo View Post
    ...I would love to see a SR45.
    Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    What? I would bet my life on a Ruger!
    I own a number of Rugers, the SR40, 40c & 9c to boot!
    No problems!
    Tangle; Nice shooting and thanks for the report.

Lateck,
    Proud Ruger & SIG owner, in the Free State of Arizona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links