Ruger LCR vs Smith and Wesson 637/638/642

This is a discussion on Ruger LCR vs Smith and Wesson 637/638/642 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but I wasn't able to find anything by searching the forum. Based largely upon some good advice ...

View Poll Results: Which do you reccommend for a BUG, Ruger LCR or S&W J frame?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ruger LCR (.38 spc)

26 52.00%
  • S&W J frame (637/638/642)

24 48.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Ruger LCR vs Smith and Wesson 637/638/642

Sponsor

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but I wasn't able to find anything by searching the forum.

Based largely upon some good advice and insight I've gotten on another post, I'm going to be picking up a revolver soon to use as a backup gun.

I was initially thinking about going with the S&W J frame 637 or 642, based upon a legacy of quality and reliability. When researching it, I happened upon nutnfancy's review of the Ruger LCR and he found it to be a much better shooter than his 638. I'm not saying that his review is where it stops (I don't agree with him on a number of things), but atleast he has shot both. Often times you see a lot of people online with big opinions but no real experience with the given firearm.

Seeing his vid on the LCR made me look into it and I've found a number of people who have stopped carrying the J frame in favor of the LCR.

So, What do you guys think is best and why? has the LCR proved reliable now that its been on the market for a while? I'm particularly interested to hear from those who have experienced both.

Thanks!
    Clay

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    A recent thread I had on a similar topic (442 vs LCR) the LCR seemed to be preferred, for what it's worth.

Sponsor
    ah, Thanks! could you provide me a link to that thread? I was having a hard time finding it.

Thanks

Here's a post of mine from some time ago:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...t=#post1990461

No cheap molded plastic, unattractive appearance and "yuck" trigger for me. I'll go with Smith & Wesson.
    C hawk Glock likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Have both LCR's .38 and .357. I absolutely love the .38 version. It is the first .38 snub that I have ever been able to comfortably shoot, and be able to hit anything with. Not to mention it is light weight and comfortable to carry all day long in a Don Hume J.I.T. slide. It has become my favorite carry gun, over my PM9, CW9, Glock 19 and 26.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I had a S&W 637 and I have a Ruger LCR. Having shot both I like the LCR better. The grip of the LCR absorbs more recoil than the spine back strap of the 637. But in its defense, the 637 never had an issue and it felt smaller in my hand and pocket(I mostly pocket carry my snub).
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

While the 38 special LCR is lighter, it seemed thicker stock for stock. I don't know if it is just the grip on the LCR that was thicker or what. The LCR probably has a better trigger but that is about it. THE S&W Jframe IMO is nicer looking, better fit and finish, and a bit less bulky. Both are nice and you can't go wrong with either of them.

My S&W 642 has recently by go to EDC. I love my 1911 and my Glock as an EDC but my 642 I seem to reach for most.

While I like the 357 round, the ammo is way too expensive and I feel the the 38 special is more than adequate.

Both kinds of revolvers are great. But shooting the LCR is dreamy.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Pre trigger job on my 638, I'd have gone with the LCR, but post trigger job, it's S&W 638 all the way.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Pre trigger job on my 638, I'd have gone with the LCR, but post trigger job, it's S&W 638 all the way.
    Who did you trigger job? Would you say the trigger is better than the LCR?

I have another question, I've often wondered if the compliments on the "Shootability" of the LCR is because of the hogue tamer grip. Would a 642 with a trigger job and a hogue tamer grip feel as good as an LCR?

Thanks

Clay

I strolled into a gun shop one day, intent on purchasing a snubbie.

I had in my sights; the LCR, 442 and SP101. Well, there was no SP101 to handle, but there was a used, pre-lock 442 and a new LCR.

I handled both; dry fired both. I bought the Smith.

I won't deny that the fact that the used 442 was $100 less was indeed a factor. But, the S&W was a bit smaller, more conducive to pocket carry, for me. And, the trigger was better IMO.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by SHTFGearLLC View Post
    Who did you trigger job? Would you say the trigger is better than the LCR?

I have another question, I've often wondered if the compliments on the "Shootability" of the LCR is because of the hogue tamer grip. Would a 642 with a trigger job and a hogue tamer grip feel as good as an LCR?

Thanks

Clay
    The gentleman that did the TJ was at the local Gunsmith that's about two miles from my house, pretty convenient for sure; best $75 upgrade I've made, and absolutely better than my LCR. I'll take a look at my receipt if I can find it and see if it has his name on it, it was a few weeks back and I'm pretty bad with names...

Regarding the Tamer grip question I'd say, heck yeah. The larger the grip, the better control, IMO anyway. Although you lose some of the concealment value, I guess it's trade off that some may want to take advantage of. I took my 638 to the range today and ran 50 rounds thru it and my groups were as tight, or I'd say even tighter than with my LCR; I even key-holed one round. In that five shot string I had my tightest group outa any of my revolvers since I started using um. If someone ask me if a trigger job is worth the investment, I'd say, it depends on how important tight groups are to the revolver owner... YMMV
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

My first pocket revolver was a 442 In recently purchased the LCR 357.
    So far I like the Ruger trigger better and the 2.1 ounces greater weight isn’t noticeable in my coat pocket holster.
    I tried the boot grip and didn’t like it at all. I’ve heard a lot of how the Hogue grip makes it a bulkier carry and it does so I cut mine down and it’s much better.
    I hope to come up with a light 357 reload.
    I like the fact I can change the front sight out for a night sight on the Ruger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links