New Carry Gun: Kimber Solo

This is a discussion on New Carry Gun: Kimber Solo within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Pontificator I rarely pay attention to reports on the internet. Not saying there haven't been problems with this model but I seriously ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: New Carry Gun: Kimber Solo

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontificator View Post
    I rarely pay attention to reports on the internet. Not saying there haven't been problems with this model but I seriously doubt it's anything as widespread as the internet rumor mill makes it out to be.
    Kimber SOLO FTF (Failure to Fire) from Light Primer Strike - YouTube

KImber SOLO chokes on Bill Wilson Signature Mtach 125gr HAPs - YouTube

Gunsmith Field Strips Kimber SOLO after test Failure - YouTube

Kimber Solo Fail - YouTube

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

2. Remove Ads

And what percentage of the total guns sold have these problems vs. ones that don't? I'm not a Kimber fan boy but the one I have now has over 500 rounds through it without a single problem. Good enough for me.
    franco45 and Philly Boy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post
    YOU'RE HAPPY--- THE WORLD'S HAPPY!
    Mmmmm, I've heard it's only, "If mama's happy, then everyone's happy."
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Wasn't really in the market for another CCW but someone had a Solo with three extra magazines for sale at a great price so I snapped it up. Haven't shot it yet but my first impressions are very good. Nice size, no sharp edges anywhere and great sights. The trigger action is fairly long but when it does break it is nice and crisp. - I had my eye on a Kahr PM9 but if this gun shoots as good as it looks, and the previous owner said it does, I'll forget all about the Kahr.
    Will have a range report Sunday if all goes well.
    Congrats on the Kimber!
    I've had three of them (forget the reports), and all of mine were great...fortunately, I discovered Glock.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    3) I attempted to limp-wrist one magazine of each type round in order to induce a failure but could not do so. The previous owner told me he had shot 400 rounds through this gun before selling it to me so it now has over 500 rounds through it with no problems.
    Congrats on the successful run of your new sidearm. I assume you personally know the previous owner. I'm curious, why he decided to sell it?
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Last night I thoroughly cleaned and lubed the Solo. Polished the feed ramp and chamber area with my Dremel as I do to all my semi-autos and also applied Slide Glide to the rails.
    I do the same thing with any new pistol before I ever fire it. Funny thing how I have no FTF or FTE issues with ANY of my pistols. You would think that more would pick up on this little bit of home gunsmithing before complaining about a gun and sending it back to the factory for repairs.
    Congrats on the Kimber.....sounds like you have a keeper.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I just did a Google search

Sig failure to fire

more than 8 million hits

Should I post links to the YouTube videos of Sig failures?

Sigs must SUCK

Quote Originally Posted by PilotAlso View Post
    I just did a Google search

Sig failure to fire

more than 8 million hits

Should I post links to the YouTube videos of Sig failures?

Sigs must SUCK
    Just did the same thing with Walther..... simular results, take a 1/2 dozen models do the same thing what do you get?
    To each their own, Good luck with what ever you carry no matter the brand or model.
    NRA Life
    SASS 96744

"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is"

Congratulations on your new Solo. I'm a Kahr guy myself but that Solo sure is pretty. Isn't it funny. Even after you post a successful range report the naysayers still feel the need to rain on your parade.

One thing to consider with all these negative reports, is that a satisfied customer rarely goes out of his way to praise a good product, while a dissatisfied one will go to great lengths to make to his dissatisfaction known. As an example (not related to firearms, specifically, but more to customer service) I worked in college as customer service rep at a Ford dealer's auto body shop. In our section, we did crash repairs, dent removal, paint touch ups, detailing etc. We saw some pretty jacked up cars. When we'd fix them up, most people would say "Looks great, thanks," pay, and leave. Most of them didn't rave about how great their previously smashed up car now looked. However, if we'd make the slightest mistake, like miss a rock chip on the side fender of a car, (which happened maybe 1/200 or 300 cars at most) most owners would be reasonable about it. We'd take it back into the body shop, repair the paint chip, and get it back to them ASAP, without charge. However, some people would have FITS about it, and would tell their friends/families how our services were a rip off (which they probably were compared to Maaco or someone), and not to go there, even though we always owned up to our mistakes and made them right.

Could the same thing be happening with all the Kimber Solo negative reviews? Could people be expecting a 100% perfect gun, and when it's not, going on a rampage about it? I suspect so.
    Philly Boy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    I do the same thing with any new pistol before I ever fire it. Funny thing how I have no FTF or FTE issues with ANY of my pistols. You would think that more would pick up on this little bit of home gunsmithing before complaining about a gun and sending it back to the factory for repairs.
    Congrats on the Kimber.....sounds like you have a keeper.
    Forgot to mention that I also treat the slide rails of all my semi-autos with Slide-Glide. This gives the slide a silky smooth action.
    ** Took my Solo to the range again yesterday evening and put 5 mags worth of WWB 115gr. loads through it and it ran perfectly again.**

At the range today I shot nothing but 115gr. WWB and the gun fed and fired perfectly.

Congrats on yer Solo, I have had nothing but good luck with mine so far, the very best to you and yours!

NRA Life
    SASS 96744

"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is"

What kind of extended magazine is that? Looks like a good fit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links