New Carry Gun: Kimber Solo

This is a discussion on New Carry Gun: Kimber Solo within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wasn't really in the market for another CCW but someone had a Solo with three extra magazines for sale at a great price so I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: New Carry Gun: Kimber Solo

Wasn't really in the market for another CCW but someone had a Solo with three extra magazines for sale at a great price so I snapped it up. Haven't shot it yet but my first impressions are very good. Nice size, no sharp edges anywhere and great sights. The trigger action is fairly long but when it does break it is nice and crisp. - I had my eye on a Kahr PM9 but if this gun shoots as good as it looks, and the previous owner said it does, I'll forget all about the Kahr.
    Will have a range report Sunday if all goes well.

Good luck! Many reports have not been good.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

I rarely pay attention to reports on the internet. Not saying there haven't been problems with this model but I seriously doubt it's anything as widespread as the internet rumor mill makes it out to be.

The longer I live the more I realize how horribly wrong "first impressions" can be. After you shoot, be sure to let us know if this previous owner was an honest guy!
    “Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.”
    - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by GunKeen View Post
    The longer I live the more I realize how horribly wrong "first impressions" can be. After you shoot, be sure to let us know if this previous owner was an honest guy!
    I agree with your statement on first impressions. Mine were just of the physical appearance and build quality, which are superb. I have a good selection of the "recommended" ammo for this pistol and should be able to get to the range sometime Sunday so we'll see what happens (fingers crossed).

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Not saying that you made a poor decision, and maybe you got a real nice deal on your Solo, but "recommended ammo", to me, seems a bit finicky for a modern day pistol. At least Kimber is being up front about this.

I believe that American Rifleman did a recent review of the Solo but I don't recall them giving it a rave review.

Looking forward to your feedback and I hope it works out well for you. Curious though, if does work out, do plan on CC-ing it?
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Yeah, I was looking around at Cabela's for my next handgun purchase and noticed they had a display area ready for the Kimber Solo but the actual handgun was missing. I asked the manager if I could take a look at one and he said all his Kimber Solo handgun orders from the manufacturer had been canceled due to quality control issues. That statement quickly made me scratch Kimber off my potential purchase list.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

I might be wrong,but most people don't buy spare magazines for a gun they aren't planning on keeping,It's kinda hard to sell a gun if somebody asks how does it shoot,and you tell them it's very accurate for a single shot semi auto,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    Not saying that you made a poor decision, and maybe you got a real nice deal on your Solo, but "recommended ammo", to me, seems a bit finicky for a modern day pistol. At least Kimber is being up front about this.

I believe that American Rifleman did a recent review of the Solo but I don't recall them giving it a rave review.

Looking forward to your feedback and I hope it works out well for you. Curious though, if does work out, do plan on CC-ing it?
    I'm not a Kimber fan boy by any means and this is the first gun of theirs I've ever owned. I've been looking for a small size 9mm for CCW and this one fits the bill. If this one feeds and fires reliably I will carry it. If not, the search will go on! - Not sure why so many people think it's a negative that the Solo is designed for a certain type of ammunition. It's not like Kimber is hiding the fact. My corvette was specifically designed to run on premium although I can drive it on regular unleaded with mixed results. From what I've read you can run 115gr. ammo through the Solo but it will not be optimal and will have problems. If the Kimber was designed for 124 and 147 grain ammo then that's what I will shoot in it. Same thing with Glock stating up front that they do not recommend shooting lead rounds through their barrels. In my opinion if you don't want to go by the manufacturer's recommendations then look elsewhere for another product.

GM
    Congrats on the Solo and enjoy!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Congrats on the solo, I hope it runs like it should for ya. Shoot the snot outa it and let us know how it runs..
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    My corvette was specifically designed to run on premium although I can drive it on regular unleaded with mixed results.
    But does Chevrolet recommend you use only Shell or Sunoco gasoline?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

UPDATE: Solo Range Report

50 rounds Remington Golden Saber 124 gr.
    25 rounds Federal HST 124gr. +P
    25 rounds Federal Hydra Shok 147gr.
    20 rounds Winchester 115gr. FMJ White Box
    Results: Flawless Victory!

Last night I thoroughly cleaned and lubed the Solo. Polished the feed ramp and chamber area with my Dremel as I do to all my semi-autos and also applied Slide Glide to the rails. Started my day at the local gun show picking up the above listed ammo except for the HST and WWB which already I had. Found a Ramora pocket holster at a good price which fits the Solo perfectly.

After leaving the gun show I went to the local range and shot the above ammo in the order shown. Yes, I was apprehensive at first but when I had gone through 3 mags worth of the Golden Saber I settled down and realized the gun was going to be OK. No failures of any kind with any of the listed loads. - Before leaving I decided to try some of the 115gr. WWB and it fed and functioned perfectly also.

OBSERVATIONS:
    1) All shots made at 7 yards and best groups were with the Golden Sabers.
    2) Recoil is stout, especially with the +P loads but not too uncomfortable. Doubt that I'll shoot 120 rounds at a time in it again though. When the 8 round mags with their better grip are available this should not be a concern.
    3) I attempted to limp-wrist one magazine of each type round in order to induce a failure but could not do so. The previous owner told me he had shot 400 rounds through this gun before selling it to me so it now has over 500 rounds through it with no problems.
    4) Loading 6 rounds into the mags was a struggle and after a while I began loading just 5 rounds. I realeased the slide stop to load the rounds each time and did not try to slingshot them into the chamber.

All in all I am completely satisfied with this gun and it's function and reliability. It is now my CCW and my search for the perfect pocket nine is over.

YOU'RE HAPPY--- THE WORLD'S HAPPY!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Nice pistol! It must something wrong with it, it seems to work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links