Glock 26...first time to the range

Glock 26...first time to the range

This is a discussion on Glock 26...first time to the range within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did some horse trading this week after taking the wife shooting last Saturday. Gone is the XD40sc. In it's place is the Glock 26. ...

Thread: Glock 26...first time to the range

Talking Glock 26...first time to the range

I did some horse trading this week after taking the wife shooting last Saturday. Gone is the XD40sc. In it's place is the Glock 26.

I had some misgivings about the grip size...but alas those are unwarranted. The weapon was new...not just new to me. It came with two 10 rd magazines and a mag loader, though the springs aren't heavy enough to warrant it, unless one is loading a bunch of mags.

I took it to the range this afternoon and put 53 rounds through it. The first 50 were WWB 115 gr, FMJ. It took me a bit to get used to the grip angle again and also the trigger...which is okay. It's not the trigger on my 1911 with respect to crispness...but it's not bad. It needs a few more...okay a bunch more rounds before I can take follow-up shots like I can with the 1911...or I may never be that quick with the double-taps from this Glock. The final three rounds were Speer 124 gr GD JHP's. Why three? Well, my guy only had on 20 count box on hand. I wanted to save some. Oh, I did put the Pearce +2 floor plate on one mag. It makes the grip more comfortable, but had no effect on accuracy. YMMV.

Impressions: The G 26 has a shorter grip than the XD40sc and a different grip angle. The triggers are comparable...with the Glock being a little less "squishy." The accuracy from this shooter was also comparable, with a little edge going to the Glock. The Glock seems easier to carry, as it is thinner, and easier to stick in a pocket since the grip is a little shorter. Over all...I'm pleased...and want either a 19 or 17 for some serious range time.

I have attached some thumb-nails below...just so Darth Vader doesn't show up! Excuse the shooting performance...any inaccuracy is purely do to the shooter not the iron! Yes...I Photoshopped out the SN on the wep...it really doesn't have that black stripe on it.

Michael

glock26.jpgg26target-01.jpgg26target-02.jpgg26target-03.jpg
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

I enjoy my Glock 27. My buddy has a G22. After firing his G22 I felt it was very accurate. So I got a glock also. I immediately installed the pearce extension in all three mags. I found the G27 just as accurate, and the trigger takes a little getting used to. I can fire the double tap pattern with ease, but it took a few weeks of practice.

Assistant Administrator
    If that 26 is as enjoyable as my SW99 (they are very similar proportions) - then it will be a keeper.

Either the 19 or 17 will make a good later addition - and this from a non Glocker
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I'm actually starting to warm up to the Glock's, I was at the gun shop today and fondeled both the G26 and the G19. They both feel good but with the mag extention on the 26. H&K makes a nice weapon too, the P2000 sub compact is sweet.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Since I have to save up to take the hit of buying the wife a SW99c, I'm thinking about getting some G 19 mags and sleeves to complete the grip for the range. I can't imagine that 1/2" of barrel making much difference. Now, if I were to get a new job with a nicer paycheck, then I could get a G 17 and a G 22 and play IPSC or IDPA!

Funny, I couldn't shoot those groups with the G 22 I had. It was used when I got it (police trade-in)...maybe too much? Of course, I have fired a lot of rounds since then. Maybe I'm just improving... Hmmm...I have a buddy who has a G 22 and I still have some .40S&W ammo....

The way this little guys tucks away and shoots...yep, it's a keeper.

I heard a nasty rumor today that the Arkansas Sheriff's Association is lobbying or planning to lobby to restrict concealed permit carriers to 9x19 or smaller...might have been a good time to trade! Of course, lobbying and legislation aren't the same thing.

Michael

I paid for my G26 today, $422 out the door. I hope it gets here soon.

Murman

Dude...Murman....and I thought I got a deal!

I can't wait 'til my decent holster gets here. I'm using a nylon clip-on right now with a thin golf shirt...

Now, to get 1" groups with speed!

Oh, my wife...who started all this...just told me that she hopes I get something else for me so she can have the G 26! Ain't that just like a woman!!!! LOL LOL

I told her to get her own!

Michael

Thanks.

I think the price was $398.20 prior to tax.

My G19 was $485 out the door.

It pays to shop around.

Murman

DizTBone,

glad you like your G26. I love mine too. Been carrying in a Don Hume 715-M SOOT, but just got a C-TAC and am trying this out. What holster did you order?

Your shooting certainly wasn't anything to sneeze at, it's easily "combat accurate."

I got myself some G19 mags for mine, but I haven't run them at the range yet. I thought about getting the A&G sleeves but some guys have reported that their shooting hand gets pinched when inserting the sleeved mag... meanwhile, the mags should operate just fine without them, so I saved the money, and possibly aggravation.

I think once you get practiced at "resetting the trigger" aka "catching the link" you will be able to pull of some very fast follow-up shots! That's one thing I love about Glocks is the short reset. FWIW, the reset is more pronounced and easier to feel if you install a (stronger) NY-1 trigger spring, but it also increases the weight of the pull. (To each his own.)

Go ahead and give your wife your G26, and get yourself another! Seriously, I think the next automatic I get will be another G26, if not a G19. Great pistol. I only have 210 rds through mine so I need to shoot it some more, but it's a great gun for CCW (once you verify reliability obviously).

Good luck with yours, & thanks for the report.

nothing wrong with the g26. it is a great carry gun. i carry the g27 on duty each and everyday. same gun as the g26 but in 40 cal.

Gunmetal...thanks for the kind words 'bout my shooting. It has progressed remarkably over that last 11 years. Back then I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with my .38Spl.

I had given up on Glock after my experience with the G 22, but I'm back and don't see any reason to let go of this one. Yes, I'll share with the wife, but my dream is "wife gets job...buys own weapon"!!!

I'll get the trigger down. Right now I'm still trying to shoot it like it's my 1911...with a short pull and crisp break at 4.5#. I'll give myself a few hundred rounds to get there...just like I did with the 1911. Oh...and I'll probably get the 19 mags before the sleeves. Budget, ya know. I had the same set up with full-sized mag and sleeve with the XD, and only pinched my hand a few times. Anyway, the 19 mags aren't planned for speed drills unless they're going into a 19. I was thinking more of getting the 19 sized grip for general use...though I could see carrying one as a spare. I still want a 19 or 17 for use at the range after I get this one broken in. Even in 50 rounds I noticed the groups getting much better. Part of that, I know, was my and the trigger coming to terms. So...after the honeymoon... maybe I'll get to post more "New Gun at the Range" type stuff.

The holster I've got coming is an AKJ Concealco IWB rig with two sizes of belt loops and a mag carrier. I got a deal on eBay...so I'll soon see if it really was a deal or something I'll be listing for sale.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by DizTbone
    Anyway, the 19 mags aren't planned for speed drills unless they're going into a 19.
    Personally I love the idea of the G19 mags for G26 reloads, not just because of the # of rounds, but because under stress I feel the longer mags will be much easier to handle without fumbling. The G26 10-rounder is great to keep stuffed in your pistol for easy concealment, but it's so stubby I'd be afraid of losing my grip on it while I'm trying to perform a reload.

P.S. Nice "Dancing Banana" icon for your Honeymoon reference. Not sure if that was deliberate or not.

Just today, my Milt Sparks "Watch Six" holster arrived for my Glock 26. I highly recommend it if you're looking for a quality IWB in leather for your G-26...price was $65.

It's a very thin holster, in horsehide without a reinforced mouth; so it's not meant for a lot of reholstering as in range work or competition. It's designed for carry, and based on my first day with it, does a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC
    It's a very thin holster, in horsehide without a reinforced mouth; so it's not meant for a lot of reholstering as in range work or competition.
    FWIW, one of the best arguments I've seen for using reinforced-mouth holsters is so that you can reholster one-handed (assuming it is safe to do so) while keeping your eyes on the threat after the shooting has ceased. This way your gun will be rapidly accessible, meanwhile you won't be standing there as "the guy with the gun" when the cops show up.

Aside from that though, I've eyeballed MS holsters a few times and I definitely plan to try one someday. Their quality seems to be outstanding.

i appreciate your review, as i am preparing to purchase either the g26 or the g33 (same gun, in 357 auto). for awhile there i tinkered with the idea of getting the M&P compact instead, then i figured id eventually end up with both anyway so i may as well go ahead and get the subcompact glock now and worry about the M&P if smith ever gets their production right.

Links