Anyone have loooong term experience with kahr K9?

This is a discussion on Anyone have loooong term experience with kahr K9? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm really eying this kahr for a slim all steel 9mm that I can carry yet still shoot at range all day. Anyone have experience ...

Thread: Anyone have loooong term experience with kahr K9?

Anyone have loooong term experience with kahr K9?

I'm really eying this kahr for a slim all steel 9mm that I can carry yet still shoot at range all day. Anyone have experience putting lots of rounds thru it and carrying it extensively? Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I don't have particular experience with the K9, but I have owned the MK9 for over a decade. I've shot thousands of rounds through it and carried it for about a decade before I started carrying the PM9. The MK9 is a great gun, but a little heavier than I would like. I've also never had any kinds of malfunctions or failures with it.

A CT equipped K9 has been my warm weather carry of 5-6 years now. A couple of 1000 down range and nary a hiccup that I can remember. Oh there have been a couple of feeding issues, but only when it needed a good cleaning. I carry IWB in a Comp-Tac rig under a colored t-shirt and never have had a 2nd look.

Administrator
    I don't have a K9, but the guy who turned me onto Kahr a long time ago has a first generation K9 that he has carried for 10 or 12 years now. He shoots it a lot, and I shoot it every so often too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Kahr MK9

I've had this Kahr MK9 for 5 years, the smaller version of the K9. It has never given me any problems, and is highly concealable.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I've used and owned 2 K9s, an early model and a newer 2009 model. Both have been utterly reliable. I routinely change recoil springs, and other than that, I've experienced no other costs or issues. The K9 carries well and easily in a quality holster. I bought and experimented with it's ligher version, the polymer P9, but I came back to the K9 because it feels very, very nice and is proven reliable.

I will say that I much prefer the shorter Elite trigger on my newer K9 to the longer standard K9 trigger on my older K9. Recently Kahr changed the K9 to the Elite as the standard trigger offered. A good move IMHO.

Despite it's small size the K9 is comfortable to shoot extensively. It isn't as comfy as a full size duty gun, say a Beretta 92 or HK USP, but it has enough heft and grip to soften recoil for long rangs sessions.

For even better quality range time the larger, heavier T9 or even the lightweight TP9 also excel. The TP9 has really grown on me and has become one of my favorite range toys.

I have the K40 - ame gun, bigger hole - which I bought used from a friend. Between us, there are probably 1500 rounds through the gun. A bit heavy for a smallish gun, but that weight is your friend when you're shooting snappy loads. No problems at all with the gun.

Likewise, no problems at all with its plastic 'cousin' I carry around the house, the CW9.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I don't have super "loooong" experience with my K9. I bought it about three years ago. I have about 3000 trouble free rounds through it though. I like it.

I have an MK40 that I bought in Sep 2001. Carry gun, kind of heavy, but like most things I got used to it. I shot accurately enough, but hated shooting it. Always did a number at my first thumb joint, something about my grip and the size of my hand, YM_will_V. I recently had to replace the magazine springs with Wollff (I created a recent post asking the forum for suggestions about recent jams) because for these 10 years they have had ammo in the mags 99% of the time. The mags wouldn't drop out of the gun when ejected, I had to pull them out or hold the button and wait for gravity. I too bought the wood grips but they added a little bit of width to the gun (they even came with longer screws), but they did look nice.

Other than the recent jams I haven't had any mechanical issues once the gun was broken in.

Due to the weight, but mostly my own twitchiness for a new gun, I am selling my MK40 and getting an SR40c. I would like to have kept it, but with the SR40c I doubt I would very often carry the MK and I since I hated shooting it I doubt I would ever do that either. Also, I think that had I gotten the MK9 instead it wouldn't have been as un-fun to shoot.

Mike

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    I owned a Kahr K9 for about 12 years. Great little pistol, my tastes just changed and I traded it off for something different.
    I had one stovepipe the entire time I owned it............ Not bad.

We had one as a range rental, and that means lots of use, and had only two problems. The little spring that holds the slide stop down broke, and the wood grips had a crack. I can't rule out some employee breaking the spring when they re-assembled it after cleaning, and I'm pretty sure the grips broke because someone dropped the gun. Had to pay Kahr for the replacement spring, I was hoping they'd ship a free replacement. I fixed the grips with epoxy and sandpaper.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Links