Just ordered a Makarov!

Just ordered a Makarov!

This is a discussion on Just ordered a Makarov! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I missed out when they were going for cheap at gun shows back in the 90s. I got interested in them because people always tend ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lowercase

Thread: Just ordered a Makarov!

Just ordered a Makarov!

I missed out when they were going for cheap at gun shows back in the 90s.

I got interested in them because people always tend to like them "way more than they should". I figure that is a pretty good endorsement.

I put an order in to J&G for one of the Bulgarian Makarovs that they have for $229. I'm looking forward to picking it up next week at my FFL. I'm going to grab a Don Hume JIT Slide for it.

PICS WHEN I GET IT.
    vista461 likes this.

VIP Member
    Nothing wrong with MAK's. Easily converted to .380 if you have the urge to do so.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

You might consider a CZ82. Check out the CZforum , many people prefer the CZ to the MAK. God Bless, Ron in FL

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Nothing wrong with MAK's. Easily converted to .380 if you have the urge to do so.
    That is the last thing he should want to do, 9x18 is a better performer and generally less expensive than .380 and is readily avilable online from many vendors, including some very good brass cased defensive loads.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

9x18 will make a slightly larger hole than a 9x19 correct? Congrats on the pistol.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ak74 View Post
    9x18 will make a slightly larger hole than a 9x19 correct? Congrats on the pistol.
    9x18, or 9mm Makarov, has a slightly larger diameter bullet than either the 9mm (9x19) or the .380 (9x17). 9mm Luger is .355 as is the .380, and Makarov is .365.

The 9x18 cartridge is not a "true" 9mm because it's really 9.2mm.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Years ago we had a .380 Russian Mak. Now I have a CZ82,easier/cheaper since I have a C&R.

I bought a Makarov back in the 90's sometime but I don't remember the year. When I bought it I paid $119 and the reason for me buying it was that I needed a "cheap" gun to carry because I didn't want to carry a Springfield 1911 that I paid more money for. Since it is basically impossible to get a CCW here I would carry anyway knowing if I got caught with it that it was just a misdemeanor and it would be confiscated, so better it than the Springfield. My job used to take me to not so nice places in the middle of the night, Skid Row area in downtown LA at 2am is not very nice so to carry a little piece of security made me feel better.

Anyway, the Makarov is a great shooting very accurate little gun. For the longest time the ammo was kind of hard to come by so when I found it I would stock up on it. Now that I reload everything I shoot I read all kinds of stuff about reloading. I bookmarked an article somewhere about using regular 9mm brass and trimming it to reload Makarov rounds. I really need to get it out of the back of the safe and shoot it, it has been a long time since I have shot it. Enjoy yours, hopefully it will be a nice accurite copy.

Sponsored Links