multiple rounds fired at once

This is a discussion on multiple rounds fired at once within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is any wheel gun or double barreled pistol such as a derringer or the old pepper guns capable of firing more than one round at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: multiple rounds fired at once

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar

multiple rounds fired at once

Is any wheel gun or double barreled pistol such as a derringer or the old pepper guns capable of firing more than one round at the same time legal?
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

2. Remove Ads

I am just taking a guess at this based of what I have read in the past, but the short answer is no.

Anything that fires more than one bullet per pull of the trigger is considered an automatic weapon IIRC.

The caveat I would say, is if there is one with dual triggers (I don't know of any, but it could exist).

All of the derringers I have seen, and pepperbox style pistols, only fired our round at a time.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I agree with buckeye, I'd say no, but I'd like to see what kind of a derringer did that.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It was just a hypothetical question that came from another wild idea (my specialty) I do know the old 1800's black powder pepper boxes were known to fire all rounds at the same time (not on purpose) due to spark/heat transfer between chambers. Probably scared the owner as much at the target I'd think.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Yes, chain fires could occur, especially if the owner was not diligent in sealing the cylinder with wax or some other similar substance after loading. But that wasn't how the firearms were designed.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Actually my wild idea was that it would be pretty simple to design a wheel gun with two rows of cartridge openings (what ever you call them) in the cylinder and a double barrel aligned such as the hammer would fire both upper and lower round at the same time. Would be an impressive defense gun with a couple of 38 SP loaded or 12 total Thought about maybe 45 ACP too but not sure I could hold on tight enough.

VIP Member
    Cap and ball revolvers were notorious for chain fires. To avoid a chain fire, they would grease each chamber after it was loaded. Now cap and ball shooters use Wonder Wads to avoid it. I think some of the old cap and ball derringers that were side by side barrels had 2 hammers and 2 triggers, IIRC both barrels could be fired at the same time.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    Actually my wild idea was that it would be pretty simple to design a wheel gun with two rows of cartridge openings (what ever you call them) in the cylinder and a double barrel aligned such as the hammer would fire both upper and lower round at the same time. Would be an impressive defense gun with a couple of 38 SP loaded or 12 total Thought about maybe 45 ACP too but not sure I could hold on tight enough.
    The term is charge hole and I think the mechanics involved would be more complicated than the project is worth.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

thanks. As a retired mechanical engineer it just sounded fun. but not worth prison time LOL

not worth prison time LOL

Just no sense of adventure, eh?

I have a pepper box circa 1865. It has four stationary barrels and fires with a rotating hammer. Each time you cock the hammer, a notch rotates to the next position to fire a single projectile. It is a rimfire pistol.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    It is not considered an automatic pistol, you pulled the trigger once and both barrels fired. that is perfectly legal. the definition of an automatic weapon as defined by ATF and explained to me by the LT. is a weapon that is designed to release multiple rounds from the same barrel. A double barrel shotgun firing both barrels is legal as would be a pistol of the same operation.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    It is not considered an automatic pistol, you pulled the trigger once and both barrels fired. that is perfectly legal. the definition of an automatic weapon as defined by ATF and explained to me by the LT. is a weapon that is designed to release multiple rounds from the same barrel. A double barrel shotgun firing both barrels is legal as would be a pistol of the same operation.
    Oh goodie I'll start work on the design. Anybody interested in having one? OH right mfg permits and FFL now the problem. Didn't someone on the hill mention we need less legislation and controls to stimulate new businesses?

BTW have an idea for a magazine feed wheel gun too if interested. Best of both worlds in that it would just rotate and eject a misfire bringing a new round into play. also faster to reload. Just slap in a new clip with 7 to 15 rounds depending on the caliber of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    Oh goodie I'll start work on the design. Anybody interested in having one? OH right mfg permits and FFL now the problem. Didn't someone on the hill mention we need less legislation and controls to stimulate new businesses?

BTW have an idea for a magazine feed wheel gun too if interested. Best of both worlds in that it would just rotate and eject a misfire bringing a new round into play. also faster to reload. Just slap in a new clip with 7 to 15 rounds depending on the caliber of course.
    Ah, the Dardick Lives Again.
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    With every double barrel shotgun I have ever seen capable of dumping both barrels at once, there were two triggers. Would you care to find me an example of one that can fire both barrels off one trigger simultaneously?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links