Ruger LCP

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Are these any good? I need a BUG. SIG and Kahr are a bit steep for right now....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Ruger LCP

Ruger LCP

Are these any good? I need a BUG. SIG and Kahr are a bit steep for right now.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Are these any good? I need a BUG. SIG and Kahr are a bit steep for right now.
    I literally just purchased a BUG today, but I went with the S&W Bodyguard .380. I've heard the LCP is fine, too.

Remember it's a BUG, and the chances of a BUG being used by a civilian are infinitely small, so don't beat yourself up with the decision making process!
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

the lcp is the best .380 pocket pistol available IMO..
    Hieny, boomer1 and JohnWFD like this.

I have one and take it everywhere.

It has been 100% reliable with both ball and HP ammo.

I highly recommend buying one.

I've been shooting a borrowed lcp. Feeds well, no issues mechanically. My wife shot one round through it at the range and set it down and just said no. It is a very reliable gun, but it is a pocket gun. Long, firm trigger, long reset, a decent amount of recoil, but it is a pocket gun. If you keep that in mind, you'll be impressed with it. If you start thinking of it as a match-gun, you'll start to dislike it.
    franco45 and bigdog44 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jes3se View Post
    I've been shooting a borrowed lcp. Feeds well, no issues mechanically. My wife shot one round through it at the range and set it down and just said no. It is a very reliable gun, but it is a pocket gun. Long, firm trigger, long reset, a decent amount of recoil, but it is a pocket gun. If you keep that in mind, you'll be impressed with it. If you start thinking of it as a match-gun, you'll start to dislike it.
    I second this. It's not the most comfortable gun to shoot due to its light weight and long, heavy trigger pull. That being said, I love my lcp. I have never had a malfunction with any ammo I put through it and it's pretty accurate despite the minimal sights. You can't beat it for the price.

Distinguished Member
    I love the LCP. I had a early problem with mine where the mag release broke. Called Ruger CS and a week later I had it back fixed no fuss.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

I've carried one for years with no problems. Throw a hogue grip and a finger extension on it and I find the recoil's not bad at all too shoot. The Pearce grip extension gives you more hold on it, but I find the factory extension for whatever reason gives me better control.

Also Wolff 11, 12, or 13 lb recoil springs will lighten the recoil a bit as well.

Either way, it's the best 'all the time' pocket pistol on the market.

I also have a Sig P238, FWIW, which is also fantastic, but every so slightly bulkier then the LCP. Noticeably for pocket carry to me anyway.

The Ruger LCP was the first pistol my wife wanted as a carry piece after she handled a few semi autos and revolvers. She handles it well however it is a very small pistol and won't be a range weapon or target gun. It is intended to be a self-defense weapon and that's the function it best serves.

I purchased a Ruger LCR .357 Magnum for my wife to carry, she wanted a revolver as well as the LCP, but now, I carry the LCP not as a BUG but as a primary carry because of the compactness and capability it offers.

I believe the LCP is a good choice, there were some issues with the one we have going out of battery on recoil but I have solved that so far with some minor fluffing and buffing.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I have an LCP with over 2K rounds thru it... Had a few issues with misfeeds during the first 200 or so rounds but flows like silk now with my hornady hollowpoints! I carry it in a leather wallet holster. Hits my target while pointshooting at 7 yards. It is a bit harsh to shoot for practice at the range but for a BUG you can't beat it for the price!

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I love the LCP. It is reliable but bites. Not a fun gun to shoot, but easy to carry.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

VIP Member
    LCP has been my bug for going on 3 years now. Tiny, reliable, accurate and sturdy. I couldn't ask for anything more in a .380.

I went back and forth thinking about one for a while. My buddies got one and I shot it pretty well Purchased a used one last week. Using it as a bug and for as my only carry when I am wearing pants that I cnt wear my xdmc and iwb holster in. For the price you cnt beat it IMO. The sig is sweet but way over my budget. Those extra couple hundred bucks go towards my ffuture .45. Its so easy to throw in a pocket holster and go
    SA XDM Compact 9mm...that's my edc.... now proud owner of a ruger lcp
    And a Ruger 10/22......
    Jan 2012- got myself a mosin
    To be purchased next in unsure orderr: shotgun, ar, .45(1911 and other), revolver

My wife carries hers everyday, she will pratice with it everytime we go to the range, but she dosen't enjoy shooting it as like she as well as her other larger pistols. She is lookig for suggestion on holsters for it.

I've carried my LCP for 2 years now and absolutely love it. Like others have written it is not a fun range gun. But it is so compact that it is so easy to carry in a pocket and no one is the wiser. I have had a few malfunctions at the range but no more than 4 out of over 1500 rounds. Very reliable but it is not easy to shoot. This gun takes practice!
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links