Glock 36 vs. Glock 30SF

Glock 36 vs. Glock 30SF

This is a discussion on Glock 36 vs. Glock 30SF within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With all this talk about a Glock 36, I need to ask this question. I currently own a Glock 30SF. I did a comparison of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Glock 36 vs. Glock 30SF

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Glock 36 vs. Glock 30SF

With all this talk about a Glock 36, I need to ask this question. I currently own a Glock 30SF. I did a comparison of the technical data from the Glock site. The only real difference between the two is that the G36 is 4 ounces lighter (unloaded, 6 ounces loaded), 0.1 inches thinner and carries less ammunition (which accounts for the weight difference).

What am I missing? Do I NEED one? (Ya, you know I want one!)
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

VIP Member
    I struggle with the same. I keep hearing about how thin and wonderful it is to carry, but every time I pick one up, I just can't tell that much difference between it and my G30SF.

I still want one, but for now there are too many other guns that are higher on my wish list.

VIP Member
    It is all about comfort on the waist. If you are alright with the double stack, the G30 is the way to go.

Numbers on paper is one thing, but reality trumps paper. For some that thickness is a deal breaker.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Having fired both my G30 and a G36, my preference is the G30. I prefer the feel of the G30. I'll tolerate the '.1"' and few ounces--mainly the extra rounds--until the handgun that has no weight, takes up no space, has unlimited ammo, and never misses comes along.

I could feel no significant difference between the G30 and its SF version, at least not enough to make me change guns. Some can/some can't. It depends on hand size, I suppose. Haven't tried a G30(SF) in Gen 4, if they make such a thing, but the Gen 4 G22 without added backstrap did feel better than my G30.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    With all this talk about a Glock 36, I need to ask this question. I currently own a Glock 30SF. I did a comparison of the technical data from the Glock site. The only real difference between the two is that the G36 is 4 ounces lighter (unloaded, 6 ounces loaded), 0.1 inches thinner and carries less ammunition (which accounts for the weight difference).

What am I missing? Do I NEED one? (Ya, you know I want one!)
    The difference I found was simple in recoil and capacity. The G36 has more recoil than the G30. It is noticeable and recoil sensitive people may not like it. The saved 6OZ of weapon and saved size were not justifiable enough for me to keep it in my collection so I sold it. However if you are a 1911 fan and want to try out a polymer weapon, this may be just for you. Can't have enough weapons in the stable, if money isn't an issue grab one up. i like the G30/29 much better because of the diversity of carry. Stock mags, big brother weapon hicap mags (G21/20), arrendondo hicap +3/5 add on mags for the maximum capacity. I can carry my G29 with a 15 or 20 round backup if I feel the need to or just stick with the 10 rounders. I like the capacity versatility.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I spent what seemed like hours at my local gun store picking up first the G-36, then the G-30sf. The G-30sf just felt better and the size diff. was negligible.

like night and day for carry. The G30SF is a sweet shooting double stack with very soft recoil and deadly nuts on accuracy. It would be one of the guns I would have with me if the SHTF. I can carry it ok, but not that well IWB. Love to carry in a OWB Fobus. The G36 is a sweet little carry gun and much easier IWB than the G30, and a "violent little beast" with much more pronounced recoil. I also carry it in an Desantis Apache Ankle Rig. Accuracy, like the G30 is outstanding, and the gun is just a lot of fun to shoot.

Just got Trijicons put on my G36 last week, and now is one of my always guns. The G30SF is in the safe.
    Living in Florida, the Glocks are just perfect carry guns.....Hurricane tested, and always good to go.

you can't do this very well with a G30
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    --until the handgun that has no weight, takes up no space, has unlimited ammo, and never misses comes along.
    Here it is. Never misses, never runs out of ammo, takes up no space and has no weight.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I've had the same dilemma over which model to get. I should compare the G-30 against my Para P-12 to see which I like best. In the end, I'll probably go with the G-30 SF for the extra capacity.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Here it is. Never misses, never runs out of ammo, takes up no space and has no weight.
    Touche! had one when I was young but lost it when I grew up!
    tkruf likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Touche! had one when I was young but lost it when I grew up!
    I just couldn't resist.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I bought a G30 (not SF) and really liked the way it shot and felt in my hand, but the thickness of the slide itself and the squaredness of the slide was too much for IWB carry. I sold it and I now have a G36 and it carries very easily. The slide is much thinner and more rounded edges and blends better IWB. For me, it would have been perfect to have the G30 frame with the G36 slide on it, but I'm not sure if you can or should do that or not. As it were, I just picked up my G36 and put 100 rounds through it. I shoot it better than the G30 I had, and I can't tell much difference in recoil. It just works better for me all the way around, but I like both.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I'd like to see a glock single stack in the size of the baby 26...

I have both, the the G-36 is my EDC.
    You have to pick one up to feel the difference (36)...IT WILL start calling out your name.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links