Kimber Solo Owners - Page 2

Kimber Solo Owners

This is a discussion on Kimber Solo Owners within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For the record,, Kimber lover ,not a hater.. I like the Kimber ( Grand Raptor II ) so much , I purchased the Solo , ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Kimber Solo Owners

For the record,, Kimber lover ,not a hater..

I like the Kimber ( Grand Raptor II ) so much , I purchased the Solo , thinking I would get the same quality and proformance ..

I am sadly disapointed in the Solo.. it does not go bang .. failure to fire.. the striker hits the primer , the primer is indented, but no bang.

have had the Solo back to Kimber several times, they have corrected the failure to eject , failure to feed , but this failure to fire is a deal breaker .

does any one have a corrective action for the light striker FTF ?

I also have the problem of the execessive pressure required to depress the mag release button.. I was with hope the button would loosen up over time , but that has not happened.. the pressure is ok with an empty mag, but near impossible with a full mag.

I am open to any help ,, thank you ..

NOTE : Kimber has been contacted , and have forward a return authorization ..
    carry a Sig P 938 untill I get the Solo back..

This past weekend I went over the 1,000 round mark with my Kimber Solo and have yet to have any kind of malfunction with it. I have shot everything from my weak 115gr. handloads to 147gr. hollowpoints and it has never even come close to having a failure. Not sure what you guys with problem guns are doing but if the design was inherently problematic then every gun would show failures.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontificator View Post
    This past weekend I went over the 1,000 round mark with my Kimber Solo and have yet to have any kind of malfunction with it. I have shot everything from my weak 115gr. handloads to 147gr. hollowpoints and it has never even come close to having a failure. Not sure what you guys with problem guns are doing but if the design was inherently problematic then every gun would show failures.

Very interesting indeed, especially with it running the 115s fine. It is a very attractive pistol. My LGS has one and I fondle it just about every time I go in there. How is the finish holding up on it? And are you pocket carrying it?

Quote Originally Posted by godawgs82 View Post

I guess it is luck of the draw whether you get a good Solo or not. Mine has been perfect thus far. Not one single misfire of any kind. Then again, I ONLY use 124gr or 147gr ammo, as recommended.
    It has a sweet trigger and is very accurate. To me, it is the perfect pocket carry gun.

I agree, it seems it is the luck of the draw.. and for me I got the short straw , twice ..

Quote Originally Posted by Pontificator View Post

That's good to hear. And I am pleasantly surprised about you using 115gr ammo without problems. I might have to try them.
    Your grips look similar to mine....though mine is perhaps a bit more reddish. Looks sharp.
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

I use Harnady Critical Duty in mine. 135 gr. Cheap range amo will definitely jam. Use the amo you carry with to practice and you'll be fine. $$$though.

Happy with the KimPro II finish?

So there are some happy Solo owners here, are you also happy with the KimPro II finish or is it scratching on all Solos?

Mine is still flawless even though I pocket carry (in Desantis Superfly holster). Still not one single misfire.
    Perfect pocket carry 9 mm in my opinion.
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

Last spring, I researched a LOT, for a smallish, carry gun, and although there were a lot of bad reviews on the early Solos, it seemed that their issues had been resolved torwards the end of 2011.
    The deciding factor, for me, in wanting a Solo, over similar sized pistols, like the Khar PM9, was that Crimson Trace lasergrips were available for the Solo, and even though I'm color blind, and can't see the laser during the day, I believe them to be invaluable in a low light situation, especially with a gun that has a short sight radius.
    I searched for months, and even bid on a few on Gunbroker, but, refused to pay hundreds of dollars over MSRP. As luck would have it, I was driving by a small gun shop, that I hadn't been in for a while and stopped in. I was really surprised to see a Solo carry in their display case, and after they let me fondle it, and try the trigger pull, I HAD to have it. I was pleasently surprised to see they had it listed at $659, instead of MSRP, or higher.
    A freind of mine, that works at a local gunshop, spotted a Crimson Trace lasergrip, for my Solo, so it now has lasergrips.
    I don't know exactly how many rounds I've put through mine, but, I know it is around the 1K mark. It has run 100% with any "defensive" ammo I've put through it, Winchester, "NATO" 124 grain, and Blazer brass, 124 grain. I've tried WWB and UMC 115 grain fmj, and it has run MOST of the time, but, not 100%, with the cheaper 115s.
    As far as accuracy goes, mine seems to be the most accurate with 124 grain, Golden Saber. It doesn't seem to make a difference if it is the standard load, or +P. Last week, I was at the range, and another freind of mine happened to show up. I offered to let him shoot my Solo, and he said he really didn't want to burn up my expensive, defensive ammo. I told him not to worry about it, and when he shot a 2"-3" group, with it offhand at 25 yards, was impressed enough that he is now looking for one.
    I've taken mine apart several times for cleaning, and to look for some of the reported issues the earlier Solos had, and am happy that everything looks good.
    As far as the magazine release being tough to use, when removing a full magazine, I looked at the magazine release, and can see why getting a magazine out, under the pressure of being fully loaded is a problem, but, with an empty, or, almost empty magazine, they scoot right out, which is what I want in a defensive pistol. That I have to push a fully loaded magazine in, to relieve the pressure on the magazine release, doesn't bother me.
    I don't forsee ever getting rid of my Solo, and continue to carry it on a regular basis.

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.

Kimber Solo sear spring

I am new to this forum so I will try to NOT offend anyone. This comment is not meant to be negative. I own 4 Kimbers. I like Kimbers. They put bullets in the same hole. Sure they require a bit of break-in. Sure, If you want the later models to be RIGHT, you need to spend a couple of hundred on aftermarket parts to get the firing mechanism operating properly. (My opinion) After you do that then all is well, at least as well as any handgun you can purchase, custom or production.

I purchased a Solo in December, actually for my wife to carry. It was a tossup between the Solo and the Sig. She is not much of a hammer cocking person so I went with the Solo. I did this after putting a few hundred rounds through my buddy's Solo and waiting till the BUGS were worked out of the earlier models. Again I AM NOT BASHING KIMBER. The Solo functioned flawlessly with a box of Winchester white box (Not on Kimber's recommended list) After 50 rounds of Federal HST, no problem. However, on the next outing, after 3 rounds of HSTs no bang. No FTE, new round in the chamber. Pull the trigger and nothing happened. Upon disassembly it was quite evident what had happened. The sear spring tail had "Fallen of the shelf" and ended up down in the frame. Retrieval was easy, after a few more rounds, same thing. You can actually see spots where the spring tail had "walked"" off of its home position and fallen down into the frame recess again.

Needless to say, I was not happy. Not because of a part breakage. But because there is nothing to hold the sear spring in its home position, at least on my Solo there isnt. I looked at my buddys gun and the spring appears to be the same as on my gun. His has never fell into the hole, so to speak. As of now the gun is at Kimber being repaired. 4 to 6 weeks estimated turnaround.

My question is this. Is this a design problem? Is there supposed to be a groove or a pin there to hold the spring in place? Has anyone else had this problem? Kimber does not want to talk about it. Just said that They would take care of it. I have searched the net and have found one other instance of this exact problem and 1 instance of possibly the same. Does anyone know of an update on this issue?

I know that Kimber's QC had gone down. Then again so have the rest of the manufacturers. Any idea as to what's going on here?

Thanks,

Bill

BTW..I forgot tell you that the unfired, chambered round had a light dimple from the striker...This could have been a real surprise!!!

Tch

Bad gun

Purchased Solo 10 days ago new 750 and sold today for 550. Magazine would fall out with 2 shots remaining. Cycled 300 plus rounds and it still would jam. Never owned a kimber before but I had to sell it just because I would never trust it again or have confidence. Did not send to kimber for repair based on design of mag and how it is held in gun. Email me if u want to talk and I can explain. Beautiful gun but too inconsistent performance. Did shoot nice groups tho

Kimber Solo Owners

Quote Originally Posted by Tch View Post
    Purchased Solo 10 days ago new 750 and sold today for 550. Magazine would fall out with 2 shots remaining. Cycled 300 plus rounds and it still would jam. Never owned a kimber before but I had to sell it just because I would never trust it again or have confidence. Did not send to kimber for repair based on design of mag and how it is held in gun. Email me if u want to talk and I can explain. Beautiful gun but too inconsistent performance. Did shoot nice groups tho
    Sorry to hear about your problems. Have shot about 100 rounds so far and not a single misfire. I used higher end +P LE hollow point ammo.

Magazine release is heavy but I have noticed improvement after shooting about 10 clips.

For me it's a keeper and i anticipate it will become my daily carry.

No issues with mine shooting 147 or 115 gr ammo.

Tim

-Kimber Solo STS
    (pocket carry daily)
    -Glock 23 Gen 4
    (home defense, bed rail mounted)

Kimber Solo

I recently bought a used Solo. I had wanted one ever since my CC instructor passed his around the class. Then I read all of the negative reviews etc. So I was really worried. But then I took it to the range. It has definitely seen some wear and use. The safety has had most of the blueing (really black) worn off. It doesn't like to eject the magazine and is a little finicky about inserting the magazine (I have six). It does occasionally jam when I try to chamber the first round from a full magazine. It came with two mags and I bought four new. It never fails to chamber the first round if the slide is locked back before I insert the magazine. A couple of times slapping the mag into the well caused the slide to close from the locked open position. But even then it chambered the round. At the range I fired about 50 rounds. From 115 gr. FMJ to 147 gr. Hydra-Shoks. Not one single failure! I might send it back to Kimber for a tune-up and to get the worn parts replaced. I would also like some more checkering on it. Maybe the front and back of the mag well or some grips that are a bit rougher. But this is now my carry gun! I previously carried a Springfield EMP or a Kimber Ultra-Carry II. But the smallness of this gun and the reliable operation make it a real winner in my book. At 5' 6" and 150 lbs. I really notice when I am carrying either of the above guns. But with the Solo I can almost forget I have it. For my money this is a great every day carry gun!

well,, I am now official X Solo owner ..

just could not get it to go bang every time .. just lost confidence in ever carry the Solo's ( sent first solo back to Kimber they sent me a new gun the second trip )

sent the new solo back twice, and that was it for me.. traded the solo in for a Springfield EMP 9

I would have really liked to have the solo work out ,it is beautiful , nice trigger , but just did not go bang ...

seems like ,, either the Solo runs great , or it is a POS,, I got one of the bad ones..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links