Kimber Solo Owners

Kimber Solo Owners

This is a discussion on Kimber Solo Owners within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This post is for anyone who owns a Kimber Solo. Iíve had mine for several months now, but keep seeing so many negative reviews. How ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Kimber Solo Owners

Kimber Solo Owners

This post is for anyone who owns a Kimber Solo. Iíve had mine for several months now, but keep seeing so many negative reviews. How many of you own one?

Iíve fired several hundred rounds through mine, most of which were 115 grain. Only issue Iíve had is chambering the first round; especially with 6 rounds in the mag. Overall, Iíve been very happy with the gun, but continue to worry about it because of all the negative attention itís gotten on this forum. Iíve done several searches online to find something other than a forum that acknowledges failure of the Solo, but I havenít found any. I also see that they continue to run ads for it, so I have to assume itís still being produced and shipped. Iím in marketing/advertising and know that they could easily fulfill their advertising contract obligations by merely running and ad for another Kimber gun than the Solo.

Do we have any happy Solo owners on the forum? It would be nice to hear from any of you that own one or have personal experience in another manner.

I just posted a range report on my Solo in another thread. Bought it recently from a guy who put 400 rounds through it without any type of failures and I put an additional 120 rounds through it yesterday of various bullet weights and brands without a single problem. I also tried a few mags of 115gr. WWB and it fed and fired flawlessly. I am completely happy with this gun and it is my current CCW. Best part was that I paid only $600 for it and that price included 3 extra magazines.

Picked mine up in April,, tried most all of the recommended brands of ammo and then some. Not one problem to date, I am happy with mine.
    NRA Life
    SASS 96744

"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is"

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    All I can say is that I was seriously considering one but after reading some reviews at Buds as well as elsewhere, I decided to back off for a while.

Best!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Same as Diddle. The Cabela's I went to had removed it from the display case because the store manager canceled all Solo orders from the manufacturer due to quality control issues. I bought a Beretta instead. Hold on to yours if it's a good one.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

Hi, first forum post here but I have been reading this forum for some time, enjoy it very much and decided to finally join.

I have owned a Solo for around 2 months now, but had been searching for one for sale ever since I first held a display model back in May. This was a hard gun to find, I got very lucky at a large gun show and found one. Probably over 1000 tables and only one for sale at the whole show. It paid off to get up early and wait in line to get in since I went home with it (and 2 extra mags), and just under msrp. There has not been one for sale in any of the gun stores displays that I shop since I started looking in May, and there are a lot of stores in my area.

Mine has been perfect so far, although I have not torture tested it or anything. A few hundred rounds so far and all have been either 124 or 147 grain. The only issue I had at first was feeding with six rounds in the mags. It was perfect with 5 rounds from the beginning but I kept all 3 mags loaded with 6 rounds for a couple weeks to try and soften the springs and now it feeds fine with 6 rounds. The gun shoots very acurately for me and I am very happy with its performance. Recoil is definately there, but really it is very similar to my PM9 and not bad for me at all.

Quality-wise this gun in just excellent. I have 3 other guns - an EMP, a PM9 and a P238. They are all pretty well crafted pistols and the Solo seems as well constructed as any of them and in my opinion on par with my EMP. The deisgners of the gun really did a great job with ergo's as for a small gun this thing is so comfortable to hold (for me). Everything just seems to be finished very well. The safety is very positive, trigger is great, sights are nice, dual mag realease is a nice touch too. I love the dual safeties but I am a lefty. I even like the removable grips and capability to customize with after market grips.

I also own a PM9 (with black slide) which I feel is one of the Solo's closest competitors. I will preface my opinions here by saying that I do love my PM9 and appreciate its strong points - ligtht weight, accurate, dependable and has been around a while, trigger, durable poly frame, etc. With that being said, in my opinion the Solo is just has a higher manufacturing build quality about it. Considering that these 2 pistols cost me basically the same money, the Solo really shines in a direct comparison. When looking at / holding the 2 pistols, it SEEMS like the Solo should cost a good amount more than the PM9. The melt is much better and for me carries in a pocket better than the PM9 even though it is a little heavier. Stats don't show it , but having these 2 guns in hand and in pocket the Solo is smaller and more comfortable. The alloy frame has to cost Kimber more to make than the poly frame of the PM9 does. The mags are nicer, and fit flush in the handle. Just a lot of engineering touches that are very nice. Not to say the PM9 is bad in any way. I am not getting rid of mine and carry it often. Since both my Solo and PM9 have been flawless, I can compare these things and not worry if either will go bang. Both of mine do without issues.

I have to wonder though, with such a limited supply of Solo's out there how can there be SOOO many post from people claiming so many issues? It sorta seems dis-proportionate or something. It's almost as if there are those out there with a bias against kimber who want to bash this gun without ever holding or shooting it. That is not too say there has not been people who had issues. I'm sure there have been people with legitimate problems. I am also confident that many people that have reported problems and bashed the Solo have not followed the recommendations about minimum grain on ammo and have not followed the proper re-assembly procedures. Things seemed to have snow-balled with negative posts on the Solo. There could not have been as many people who have shot this gun yet as there have been on the internet that have bashed it.

Yes, I am a very happy Solo owner.
    sensei2 and hoopette like this.
    640, R9s, Solo, PM9, P380

Without a doubt there is bias against Kimber , been that way for a long time , At least Kimber is an American company without ties a religious cult like Kahr (Sun Myung Moon)! aSorry had to do it , Kahr has those ties they'll never get a nickel out of me! I dont own either , the price is just too high for a pocket gun , hell ,I can have any number of quality guns for that price , to each his own , I would rather have the EMP out those choices! But I do like the Kimber Solo , I think the reviews are tainted in the bias against the firearms company ,as with all new firearms that hit the market ,theres gonna be flaws and those flaws might be enough to end production , I hope thats not the case for the solo , from what Ive seen and read the flaws arent bad enough to stop production , I predict the second edition solo will be amazing!

Good to hear I'm not the only one enjoying the gun. At the end of the day it all comes down to personal preference anyway, but with all the negative posts it certainly makes you wonder. I realize no publication can give a 100% accurate review because they would lose advertisers if they did. At the same time, if the gun was a complete disaster, at least some of them would choose to not publish the report.

I'd love to see a Consumer Reports style of gun review magazine.

Kimber Solo Owner

Bought my Kimber Solo in March 2011. The first 450 rounds it was perfect. Shot any brand or type of ammo including 115 grain with zero malfunctions. Then I started to notice metal filings in the slide to barrel locking lugs. Returned the pistol to
    Kimber and they replaced the barrel and the slide. Shot the gun for about a month and the slide would not lock open after the last round. Returned the gun to Kimber and they replaced the slide release lever and something else, I don't remember what it was. Now after about 500 rounds, the pistol is very selective about ammunition and the slide doesn't always lock open after the last round. I'm returning the pistol to Kimber for the third time in 6 months. Keep in mind that each trip to kimber takes over 30 days to get it back.

I love the Solo, beautiful little 9mm, I just can't trust it for a self defense weapon which was the whole reason for the purchase.

I don't like the black Kimpro finish which isn't much better than paint because it is scratched off under the slide release lever. This is a common issue with the tutone Solo. Even the factory video describing Solo take down shows a Solo with a scratch under the slide release lever. It is a $700 gun! Mine was scratched after the first take down. Also, the kimpro finish inside the frame where the recoil spring is housed is scratched and looks more like a pawn shop special in side than a $700 high quality pistol.

If you decide to buy a Solo, I suggest you wait for the Solo STS stainless model and maybe it won't show the scratches as readily because it doesn't have the Kimpro finish.

The Solo is very accurate, has a good feel, and has a wonderful smooth trigger. The safety is easily controled by a flip of the thumb if you want to use it.

I just hope that Kimber will address these ongoing issues and if they do i'll be in the market for a Kimber Solo CDP STS. But I think I will try to get rid of the one I have now. Too bad, I anticipated using it as my concealed carry handgun. Bought a nice holster, magazine holder, and 5 magazines from the Kimber Store. I live in Wisconsin and concealed carry goes into effect November1 this year but I won't be carrying my $700 Kimber Solo.

Thumbs down Kimber SOLO Failures

All,
    First time poster to the forum. I bought my SOLO at Shoot Straight in Clearwater FL as I signed up for my CWP class. I have owned a gun here and there all my life. The SOLO seemed small enough to be an ideal carry weapon and when they let me look at it through the case well it was an impulse buy.
    It took a couple of weeks to put it on the range and test it out. This is where the disappointment started. I ran a box of Winchester 115 grain ball ammo through it and it started to "Stove Pipe" or not ejecting the shell. I realize this is not the "Recommended" ammo that Kimber calls out. So I went into Shoot Straight store (right at the range) and bought a box of 124 grain defense ammo (Not sure on the brand) but tried firing that and still saw Stove Pipe issues. The Range officer came over and gave me all kinds of reasons for the jam like ďLimp wrist-ingĒ, using the wrong ammo or needed more of a break in period. Well with the more expensive ammo and the Range officer shooting it jammed on him as well as three other people at Shoot Straight. I must have put 70 rounds in that day.
    I went back there after cleaning the SOLO at home. I spoke with their Gunsmith and we went into the range again. After firing about 50 or so rounds of 124 grain the Solo started to jam again. Their Gunsmith wanted to see what was happening so he watched me load the Mag and fire. It jammed. He shot it and found it jammed for him too. He would call Kimber and work this issue with them. He took the gun for the day and discussed this with Kimber. He called the next day and said it just needed a good cleaning and that he put 30 rounds without an issue. I showed up later that day with more 124 grain ammo and after I got to 30 rounds I started to see it jam again. I called out their Gunsmith one more time. This time he saw the jam happen and said that he would return this back to Kimber.
    Well after waiting 5 weeks I got a call saying that Kimber replaced the Sear and test fired 30 rounds. I took the gun and used 147 grain this time. I figured a hotter ammo should do the trick. I got to a couple of mags into (20 rounds) it and then the first jam happened on the 21 round. Then more jams happened. Out of my box of 50 rounds 147 grain Winchester Hollow points I got 8 jams. I am very frustrated with Kimber at this point! If you have a good Solo, your lucky. I own a Kimber 45 Custom Carry and love it. My feelings towards this Solo is completely opposite. For a brand new gun and have to prove its fault to so many folks is just salt in the wound. I would recommend anyone thinking of purchasing this to think again. I will be selling this soon.

I guess it is luck of the draw whether you get a good Solo or not. Mine has been perfect thus far. Not one single misfire of any kind. Then again, I ONLY use 124gr or 147gr ammo, as recommended.
    It has a sweet trigger and is very accurate. To me, it is the perfect pocket carry gun.
    Smarshe likes this.
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

Mine has been flawless since purchasing (Solo CDP):

CCIE33560 likes this.

I have a Kimber Solo Carry, and carry it in my right front pocket daily. This little beauty replaced a .380 KelTec that used to ride there.

If you feed it the right 124-147 grain bullets, you shouldn't have any problems with it. Right now I'm using some 124grain +P rounds, made by Remington, and the little girl loves it.

Like someone else said, the finish sucks. It's like that on all Kimber pistols unfortunately. I've had my Kimber Ultra Raptor treated with Black T by Wally Birdsong and associates, so I don't worry about it anymore. I need to do it with my SC too, just haven't had the time.

Don't listen to the Kimber bashers on here and elsewhere. Most likely they just can't afford the pistol, so they want to put you down because you can. LOL I get that from some Harley Davidson bashers as well, usually from guys on rice burners. :) Be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

First off I'd like to say that I am not a gun enthusiast but I like nice quality stuff whether it be guns, cars, whatever....it doesn't have to be the top of the line but I don't want low quality cheap crap .....I own a Kimber Solo, a Remington 870 Express 12 ga, a Browning X=Bolt 25.06 and a Remington 851-S .22 cal...... I bought the Solo STS a month or so back....Before buying the Solo I researched all the forums and read all the reports so I was a bit skeptical about buying the Solo....but I bought one anyway.....I bought it from Wheelers Outfitters in Boerne, Tx.....Wheelers apparently has plenty of them in stock....I took the Solo home and read the booklet first...the booklet suggested field stripping and cleaning the pistol before using the gun for the first time....I followed the directions to the tee, at least I thought I did......I took the gun to shoot it but the slide locked open after every round...I was very disappointed and took it back to the store thinking the bad reports I had read were true....Wheelers kept it for a few days...I went back and they said it was fixed and that they had fired about 30 rounds through it and suggested I clean it again because they hadn't had time to clean it....I took it home, field stripped and cleaned it then reassembled it....took it out to the ranch to shoot it...damn, the same problem again, locked open after every round....took it back to the store and they let me talk to the gunsmith who had worked on it....he said he had called Kimber about the problem....Kimber sent him a FAX on how to cure the problem....sure as hell it wasn't the pistols fault, it was my fault for not following instructions...the problem had to do with not catching the retention spring with the slide stop during reassembly....and I'm not the only one not following instructions properly....Kimber has received hundreds of calls from other owners for the same problem ....since learning how to properly reassemble the Solo I have run about 100 rounds of 147 grain through without a single problem....I grade the Solo a 10 out of 10 ...I'm sure there's going to be lots of Kimber haters continuing to bad mouth the Solo....but I bet there's not a single one of these Kimber haters that won't admit that the Kimber Solo is, without a doubt, the coolest and best looking of all the pocket 9's on the market.....
    Attached Images
    Last edited by jackassjoe; December 22nd, 2012 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    I have a Kimber Solo Carry, and carry it in my right front pocket daily. This little beauty replaced a .380 KelTec that used to ride there.

If you feed it the right 124-147 grain bullets, you shouldn't have any problems with it. Right now I'm using some 124grain +P rounds, made by Remington, and the little girl loves it.

Like someone else said, the finish sucks. It's like that on all Kimber pistols unfortunately. I've had my Kimber Ultra Raptor treated with Black T by Wally Birdsong and associates, so I don't worry about it anymore. I need to do it with my SC too, just haven't had the time.

Don't listen to the Kimber bashers on here and elsewhere. Most likely they just can't afford the pistol, so they want to put you down because you can. LOL I get that from some Harley Davidson bashers as well, usually from guys on rice burners. :) Be safe.

Could not agree more!
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links