I guess I was wrong about my "go to" gun...

This is a discussion on I guess I was wrong about my "go to" gun... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Every fall I take a few days and go on a motorcycle trip by myself. It's a time for me to get some time alone, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: I guess I was wrong about my "go to" gun...

VIP Member

Every fall I take a few days and go on a motorcycle trip by myself. It's a time for me to get some time alone, clear my head, and enjoy some great riding weather. Last year I took a bag full of handguns with me because I was going to be checking in on some properties with good remote areas for shooting.

This year I don't plan on any shooting, so I'm just selecting what I'm going to carry. I'll be dressed as I please in jeans and a leather jacket, so I can conceal just about anything. I have a nice selection to choose from; a full size loaded Springer, a 3" 1911 that is extremely comfortable to wear on the bike, some revolvers, a nice selection of 9mm's - and I just assumed that I'd carry my all-time favorite, "the one gun I'd own, if I could only own one; the G19"...

Nope. It turns out that the one gun that I want in my hand in a dire moment of unforeseen circumstance is a G30SF packed with 10+1 and a 13rnd mag on standby. I wouldn't call it ballistic tests, but I've been doing a lot of shooting lately with it side by side with the G19, trying to compare accuracy, time on followup shots, as well as damage inflicted on various targets. The only real difference that I could tell was that the .45 was inflicting a lot more damage with less shots (in this example, cutting down 2" scrub oaks). I guess I'll have to put a sock in my crooning over the G19 for a while.

I bet I pick something different next year...

VIP Member
    Yes, If my goal were to cut down 2" scrub oaks with a handgun with the fewest rounds possible, I would definitely take a .45 over a 9mm.

twc
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Yes, If my goal were to cut down 2" scrub oaks with a handgun with the fewest rounds possible, I would definitely take a .45 over a 9mm.

I enjoy shooting my 30 as well. But the 19 is a bit more comfortable to carry and gives me more capacity. Not to mention, on a long trip I can throw a couple of 33 round mags in my bag. Especially travelling solo.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

After busting two helmets and sporting a number of scars, I still shudder to admit that I've been down on a motorcycle more times during the past 50 years of riding than the only hooker in a mining camp on payday. Stuff carried in a saddlebag, backpack, or motorcycle trailer is about as worthless as a parachute packed in your duffel-bag when the plane is spiralling downward in smoke and flames. If you ever need your weapon in an emergency, it needs to be right there and quick/easy to retrieve regardless of everything else concerning caliber, ballistics, size, or magazine/cylinder capacity. A .22 in hand is better than two .45's in the bush.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Nope. It turns out that the one gun that I want in my hand in a dire moment of unforeseen circumstance is a G30SF packed with 10+1 and a 13rnd mag on standby. I wouldn't call it ballistic tests, but I've been doing a lot of shooting lately with it side by side with the G19, trying to compare accuracy, time on followup shots, as well as damage inflicted on various targets. The only real difference that I could tell was that the .45 was inflicting a lot more damage with less shots (in this example, cutting down 2" scrub oaks). I guess I'll have to put a sock in my crooning over the G19 for a while.
    I don't understand the correlation here. What do 2" scrub oaks have to do with anything? And wouldn't an axe be far more appropriate?
    Guest1 likes this.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

.45 vs .9mm, yeah I'd agree with that any day. I'd also say, at least ya kept it in the Glock family....

Have fun and stay safe on your bike trip; be sure to keep an open eye out for that "unaware" driver.

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

In the one bad motorcycle accident that I had, my Goldwing opened up like a pinata as it rolled (stuff spread out for half a block), and I was deprived of both my 5 cell mag light [came out of belt ring] that I went for as I was moving to stop the that hit me from leaving the scene, and sheathed folder [sheath opened up and it slid out]. Only thing still on me was my boot knife - which I completely forgot about until I was strapped to the backboard and was being checked for more injuries by the paramedics.

Odd how one should plan on a super retention holster while riding, and then maybe it will still be on you if you suddenly make the transition from riding to a pedestrian in traffic.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Whec, I to like my solo fall ride. I'm going this weekend down to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Don't know what I'm packing yet, though.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    I don't understand the correlation here. What do 2" scrub oaks have to do with anything? And wouldn't an axe be far more appropriate?
    Whoops - you caught me. Scrub oaks are not good ballistic equivalents. Dang - I thought I'd slip that one by you...

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Whec, I to like my solo fall ride. I'm going this weekend down to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Don't know what I'm packing yet, though.
    I normally do Blue Ridge - my soul sings while flying those roads, but decided for a change of pace this year. I'll be wallowing in the low-lands checking out some civil war battle sights and looking at some lake-front property. Have a safe trip (post back here what you decide to pack - I'm curious and betting on the 1911). Good points GBK and Sticks. I've been down as well, and it looked like a yard-sale. I'm one of the few Harley riders that also wears a full-face helmet in a state with no helmet law .

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    TREE KILLER!!!!!

just kiddin Whec. Where bouts you headed exactly?
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    TREE KILLER!!!!!

just kiddin Whec. Where bouts you headed exactly?
    Shhh... 'Don't tell nobody.

I normally don't even use a map and go wherever the front wheel is pointed, but today I have map out looking for a battle of 'Rivers Bridge' or maybe it was 'Riverses Bridge'. My great, great grandaddy got his toe shot off raising the flag at that battle, and the same flag as well as a paragraph on him is on display somewhere...

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    what a fun to read thread..... the guy that needs training wheels giving advice to the guy that need to buy a chain saw....

just kiddin', just kiddiin'
    joker1 likes this.

VIP Member
    Here is the biggest advocate for the G30, he didn't know why, but loved the ergonomics!

Attached Images
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Here is the biggest advocate for the G30, he didn't know why, but loved the ergonomics!

That looks like one of my cousins.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links