Finest pocket CCW yet-Rohrbaugh R9s

This is a discussion on Finest pocket CCW yet-Rohrbaugh R9s within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After trying many compact 9mm's, as well as .32 (KelTec) and .380 LCP's, I finally found what I think is the best pocket carry pistol. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Finest pocket CCW yet-Rohrbaugh R9s

After trying many compact 9mm's, as well as .32 (KelTec) and .380 LCP's, I finally found what I think is the best pocket carry pistol. They are pricey but if I would have bought one of these in the first place and not spent money on the 3 or 4 problem children (ie., pocket nines that just did not work well enough to trust, etc.), I would have been money ahead.

This Rohrbaugh 9s (the "s" is for the model with the sights) is a work of art. I have tried many types of non +P ammo in it and they all work. The other day at the range, I was getting some 1 inch groups at about 7 yards. It has a double strike capability and recoil is less than my LCP.

It is more noticeable in my front pocket than my great little KelTec P32, (13 oz vs. 6.5 oz) but as they say it is not supposed to be comfortable to carry but it is a "comfort" to have with you.

Try one if you get a chance, I think you will agree.

Trooper Joe

(I am having trouble with the photo/taken from the Rohrbaugh web site. Click on this first photo and it will enlarge so you can see it. Sorry!)

product-gun-r9standard.jpg
    Attached Images

Gorgeous weapon, hefty price tag... From what I am told, well worth it...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Is that the one that requires a new recoil spring every 200 rounds?

Yes, the spring maintenance is expensive and often and I have NEVER seen a gun so difficult to disassemble and reassemble for cleaning in my life. When I got rid of mine several owners were concocting special tools to help get the damned thing apart and back together again. It was just too much of a pain in the butt to contend with plus, the caliber number didn't start with a 4. Far too complicated to run trouble free for any length of time.
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum

VIP Member
    I supply four springs with every "pup" I sell. Take down is a breeze for experienced shooters. Accuracy is exceptional, because the DAO trigger is smooth, breaking cleanly without disturbing the sights. I carry Cor Bon DPX, which works flawlessly, but I routinely shoot standard FMJ or handloaded XP's. Recoil is very manageable due to the 13 oz weight, and it's the same size as my P3-AT with twice the power. Pricey? Yes. I call it executive jewlrey. If there were a better deep cover 9 out there, I'd have one. That said, my EDC is an Ultra 45, and my BUG is a PM40.
    Swengen1 likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Frankly I carry my full house Para Ord PDA .45 as well as I did your gun. Yes, it's beautifully made, but I guess I'm not an experienced shooter. Let's see. I've carried a 1911 professionally since 1961, was a police academy firearms instructor for 27 years, placed well several times in the Secret Service shoots at Beltsville as well as many local IPSC and PPC matches and wrote several weapons and liability related courses for a state police academy. I still dreaded even cleaning the damned Rohrbaugh. I guess I'll just have to get more experience.

Take down (or reassembly) "is a breeze" my rosey red butt! Half of the Rohrbaugh forum is about how to take it apart and put it back together with people pleading for tools to make it easier last time I looked at it.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    I supply four springs with every "pup" I sell. Take down is a breeze for experienced shooters. Accuracy is exceptional, because the DAO trigger is smooth, breaking cleanly without disturbing the sights. I carry Cor Bon DPX, which works flawlessly, but I routinely shoot standard FMJ or handloaded XP's. Recoil is very manageable due to the 13 oz weight, and it's the same size as my P3-AT with twice the power. Pricey? Yes. I call it executive jewlrey. If there were a better deep cover 9 out there, I'd have one. That said, my EDC is an Ultra 45, and my BUG is a PM40.
    I agree. The first time I took it apart and put it back together, my wife thought I was having a heart attack in the basement. I ordered a $20 tool from a guy on the Rohrbaugh forum. However, the 2nd day I owned it, I picked up a 46 cent plastic electrical conduit bushing from Home Depot. I can now push down the muzzle, take out the take down pin in about 20 seconds. I can put it back together in less than a minute.

In response to the state police officer who responded, I also am a retired state police detective lieutenant. I wish this kind of pistol was available for plain clothes officers when I was on the job. Every 9mm or 45 I was given permission to carry, went back on the shelf after about a week since they were too heavy [my belt was usually around my knees after several hours :)]. Went back to my 5 shot air weight Smith revolver. This Rohrbaugh would have made my life a lot easier.

By the way, the recoil springs are only $4.95 each. I am ordering 4 of them since Rohrbaugh recommends changing about every 200 rounds. [$5 is only about the same price as 10 rounds of 45 acp on the range :)]

I love this gun and have been handling it the first thing I do when I get up and the last thing I do before I go to bed. It is just amazing regarding the workmanship.

Last spring I was going to write out a blank check for the first Kimber Solo I saw in Florida. After reading the horror stories on the forums and actually trying to shoot one (and I do mean "trying" to shoot one/it just would not run), I gave up and actually sold my last custom shop Kimber .45 acp in pure disgust with the company.

I think that last thing with the Solo actually adds to my excitement about the Rohrbaugh .

Thanks for all the replies.

Trooper Joe
    WHEC724 and Swengen1 like this.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    As much as I like the looks and styling of this gun, the hard take down and frequent spring change would be a deal breaker for me. I don't think any gun should need a tool to break it down, when I'm way out in the woods camping with friends the last thing I want to be doing is scrambling around for a tool to take my gun apart so that I can put a new spring in because we shot a couple of boxes of ammo.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

For the money, I'd rather have a Boberg XR9s.

For less money, I'd rather have a PM9.

For much less money, I'd rather have a CM9.

The two latter options are only slightly larger, take +P ammo, lock the slide open when empty, have a conventional mag release, come with better sights (night sights available), and have CT lasers available. And the recoil spring lasts 1000 rounds.

JMHO. Glad you like your R9.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

cool little pistol. I don't wear a Rolex or drive a Mercedes, so I will feel real weird spending that much on a pocket 9.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Thans for all the comments on my new Rohrbaugh.

Thanks for all the replies. Very interesting thoughts on this little "jewel".

-)Both my truck and my car have over 140,000 miles on them (one car payment is about one new gun )
    -)I didn't pay anywhere near retail for my Rohrbaugh.
    -)Most medium grade 1911's (which I also love) cost me more money
    -)I already mentioned that I tried a lot of the compact 9mm's that I simply would not trust my life on. Without mentioning brands,
    I probably have a cloud over my head because these seem to work for all my friends.
    -)I had a neat KelTec PF9, 2 tone, that always worked, but a friend talked me out of it.
    -)I have an LC9 that has been perfect, but it is not the piece of "jewelry" that this little Rohrbaugh is.
    -)I can take apart and put this together without a tool, the tool I made up ( a 46 cents part from Home Depot) just makes the job easier.
    -)I am keeping my flawless KelTec P32 for church with dress pants (ony 6oz. vs. 12+ oz.)
    -)The Rohrbaugh actually fits in my P32 Desantis pocket holster
    -)Again, the recoil springs are not a big deal. One spring is the price of a "yuppie" beer at the sports-bar/restaurant .

I am just fortunate I was able to buy the Rohrbaugh for the price I got it for. I'll let you know if I have any problems with it.

Thanks again gang. I really value your input.

Trooper Joe

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Trooper Joe -- I have had my Rohrbaugh a little over a year. After trying the Kahr, Kel-tec, Seecamp and several others and not being satisfied. I bought the Rohrbaugh and haven't looked back. It is accurate, easy to conceal and packs alot of punch in a relatively small package. Congrats on finding the right pocket pistol for you!!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Money is never a barrier for me when I want a firearm.... but I can't get over the mag release on a sd pistol so I don't own one.

USPnTX--Thanks for the reply. I am glad I am not the only one who likes these pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Money is never a barrier for me when I want a firearm.... but I can't get over the mag release on a sd pistol so I don't own one.
    In regards to the mag release. Both my 232 and 230 Sigs have them and they were never a problem (as well as my P-38 Walther and my Mark II Ruger .22). What is a problem, is pulling my KelTec P32 out of my pocket and finding out that the mag is about half way out because my pocket holster failed to protect the mag release button.

I know I will not be doing any speed reloads with this gun, but with practise you can get pretty good with it. (I used to qualify every time with my Sig 230 when I was on the job.)

Thanks again for your replies.

Trooper Joe

Just a personal preference for me is all.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links