in a decision "pickle" need advice for new carry options

This is a discussion on in a decision "pickle" need advice for new carry options within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hello all. i need help making a decision, and i am flip-flopping back and forth at this point, and i need some help pinning down ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: in a decision "pickle" need advice for new carry options

hello all. i need help making a decision, and i am flip-flopping back and forth at this point, and i need some help pinning down a new carry pistol, please. i will try to make this a specific as possible, so here it goes:

currently, and for the past year, Iíve been carrying a glock 19 in either a don hume hm715 or a comptac mtac. problem is that the pistol is a bit big for some of my dress options. with jeans and t-shirt/polo it is fine, but i have to dress in dockers and button-down/polo a lot of the time and when tucking with a g19 it is pretty bulky. SO Iíve been looking at getting a smaller pistol, smaller in all aspects, although i hate to give up the capacity of g19.

i like kahr pistols, all around; and i like price and size of kel-tec pistols. Iíve owned a kahr, k40, and loved it... stupidly got rid of it! Iíve never owned kel-tec. Iíve never had a 45acp as small as these pistols either, only the 40cal kahr at one point.

also, since i am in market for new pistol, the old "caliber size" decision enters the quandary. since i am changing pistols, should i go 45acp? or stay 9mm? if i go 45acp, Iíll have to go kahr, but both brands have plenty of 9mm options.

Iím am so tangled in these decisions now.................. somebody please straighten me out!

i had to add more frustration to myself, but maybe Iím even looking for other pistol suggestions?????

VIP Member
    Excellent - you are well on your way to justifying your next purchase (I do this all the time).

I'm not even going into a caliber discussion. Shoot what you shoot best.

I find that a canted G26 disappears in a tucked polo. Plus it'll share mags with your G19. If you go single stack, I much prefer my PM9 over my PF9. There is no comparison in quality of construction and the trigger is much smoother. There's your free advice - you get what you pay for .
    ironmike86 likes this.

Given your current trigger system and the size of weapons you're looking for, I would suggest putting hands on a Walther PPS. Single stack available in 9 or 40 with a variety of magazine/capacity sizes, striker and trigger function similar to your glock, and right in the sweet spot for the size I think you're after.

-424D57

So whats wrong with the G26,G27,G36,and maybe a little deeper concealing holster?

i think the glock thickness is what is keeping me from looking back at the baby glocks. had a g26 for a while, could not keep both, decided on keeping the g19... again, a bumb choice, should have kept the g26.

aren't the g26 and g19 the same thickness??

thanks for the feedback so far, i appreciate the thread action :)

VIP Member
    Get a Khar CM9 or PM9 and call it a day.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    If I had to go with a single-stack sub-compact for an edc (glad I don't), my Kahr 9mm would fill the bill. I prefer my Glocks, but that wasn't the question.

Thinner is better

Quote Originally Posted by jcrim007 View Post
    Aren't the g26 and g19 the same thickness??
    Yes, they are the same thickness. If you want to wear IWB and tucked, I believe the best alternative is a very thin pistol, which excludes the Glocks. A short grip also enhances tucked carry without printing, because it won't stick out from the body as much. I think the best alternatives are one of the various Kahrs or the Walther PPS. You should forego anything with a double stack magazine to maintain the thin profile. Here is a photo of a PPS, and a comparison of a PPS with a Glock 19, showing relative thickness:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    I'd recommend the Kahr CW45. I've owned and shot many different .40's and find the CW45 an easier shooting gun.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

My initial suggestion was going to be the Glock 26 also, but since you're concerned about the thickness (yes the 26 and 19 are the same thickness), my recommendation would be either a Kahr CM9, CW9, or PM9, or maybe take a look at the Walther P99. I find it an interesting gun. Supposedly breaks down like a Glock if I'm correct. This way you stay with 9mm and don't have to split calibers.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Must be an age thing...Jcrim007 says new carry piece and I think revolver..CharterArms 40cal..bulldog 44

capt, i love little snubbies, but the capacity is what concerns me there. everytime i'm at a show, i see an airlite snubbie or something like that, and i fall in love all over again... but then the couple extra rounds takes precedence over the "want" for super-lite

i'm very impressed with the responses so far, and very appreciative. i have not spent much time here, but you forumites are great! thanks!

I can't carry for a few more weeks but I have my Kahr PM9 ready and am buying an M&P9C in the next day or two for extra capacity and WI winters. That said, I am not discouraging a pistol purchase, but for a Dockers look and easy carry of any gun you want look at CCW Breakaways. They have a completely different type of concealment and carry but instant access. They are like $90 but you could buy 4-5 pairs for the price of the pistol and they will fit any gun you buy in the future.

Disclaimer: I don't work for and am not affiliated with this company in any way I just think their product is seriously cool.

I was looking at Kahr Cm9. When I got my CCW. I started to Iwb carry my G27.~1/4 thicker and 5/8 longer than the Cm9. It's pretty small. So I'm not getting a Cm9 now. I've been looking at guns for a gift to myself and the Cm9 was on the list.
    I like having 12 rounds will my extended clip and using 9 in the gun holster. The G26 would work well with your G19. same caliber. Going to a 45 is nice also. But I don't think your gain the smaller size you desire. JMO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links