Downsizing from LC9 to .380. Comparing Sig P238 vs SW Bodyguard 380.

This is a discussion on Downsizing from LC9 to .380. Comparing Sig P238 vs SW Bodyguard 380. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any opinions would be welcome. I have about $500 to spend. A laser (such as on the BG 380) is nice, but not a deal-maker ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Downsizing from LC9 to .380. Comparing Sig P238 vs SW Bodyguard 380.

Downsizing from LC9 to .380. Comparing Sig P238 vs SW Bodyguard 380.

Any opinions would be welcome.

I have about $500 to spend. A laser (such as on the BG 380) is nice, but not a deal-maker or -breaker.
    Looking for a smooth, short to medium trigger pull (like my SW MP9 ideally). I understand both will have recoil, since both are lightweight 380s, but I have heard that the P238 is made of aluminum frame and steel slide, which I really like. I've been unable to shoot either, as no ranges/shops here in Albuquerque NM rent either.

I'm aware of the ballistics of a 380. It's not for a protracted, drawn out shootout or HD situation; that's why my M&9 is for. It would be for carrying only, to save my bacon in a dire situation! For example, if I'm out jogging at dusk (when I get off school/work) and am accosted by thugs.

Thanks, guys!

2. Remove Ads

Kahr P380 is a really tiny little jewel, and if you have to go the mousegun route, its a good one.
    Diddle likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I have a friend who has the P238 and I like it. Very reliable and the slide is easy to work. Easier than the LCP for example. I have no comment on lasers since I don't really care for them. Of the two, I think the Kahr weighs a tad more than the P238 but after a few days of carry that generally fades. If it were my decision, I would go with the P238.

ONE CAVEAT - There was, about a year ago, some problems with P238 magazines. Seems that they did not seat correctly and caused some jams. Specifically failure to chamber. As far as I know that has been resolved.

Best!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I can only compare the Sig and the Kahr P380, I owned both and there was no comparison. The Sig was completely issue/jam free ~ 600 rounds and for a .380, very comfortable to shoot. The Kahr was issue filled. So I cannot give feedback on the Bodyguard but my experience was positive with the P238. One point, the Sig is SA only.

i went to my LGS and looked at the Ruger LCP, Taurus PT380, BG 380, and Sig P238.

the LCP slide will not lock open after the last round. the PT380 does. the laser on the BG is not very intuitive to turn on. it is no where near as easy to activate as the CT. the sig P238 is really expensive. not gonna pay $500 that.

the trigger on the PT380 is better than the LCP, BG 380; it is about the same as the Sig P238. the PT380 fit my hand better than all the other competitors. i did more research and found great reviews on the PT380.

very pleased with my PT380 purchase. it has worked flawlessly. and it was only $240 in SS. free ship no tax and no charge CC. i've seen it for $215 in black.

I bought a bodyguard 380 after looking at the other 380s and comparing features. Its comfortable, conceals easy, shoots good, locks the slide back, has a manual safety, and was a great deal for under $400.

Sent from Nates Droid X

if your open to other pocket .380's i'd recommend the LCP, very reliable and only $299.00 you can't go wrong..

Really love my BG 380 for its size, weight, and ability to conceal. I must say that it has one heck of a loooong trigger pull.

Laser switch needs to be broken in as it's very stiff initially and by very stiff I mean rock hard.

Shoots straight and has never had any type of malfunction. Like any of these lil guys, not a range gun but you will need to put the requisite rounds to familiarize yourself with it and get used to that trigger.

I own a Sig 238 and love it. Never a misfire or jam of any kind, always goes bang.
    Looks good,
    Easy slide to rack,
    Slide locks back after last round,
    Very mild recoil,
    Has actual sights,
    and can have actual night sights,
    Women love to shoot them.

IMO, the only downside is that it's S/A only, so you will be faced with carrying "cocked and locked"
    or you'll be racking the slide. The safety is VERY positive, so I can't imagine it accidentally coming off, but I'd never carry any pistol except in a pocket holster that covered the safety.

In the interest of full disclosure, I settled on a Seecamp 380 for pocket carry. Just based on size.

If money was a big factor, I wouldn't think twice about getting a LCP, reliable, cheap.
    ironmike86 likes this.

To those of you who own the BG 380 or the P238, the biggest thing I am concerned with is the trigger pull. Looking for smooth and not super long.
    I currently own / use a Ruger LC9 as my CCW, but I have trouble shooting it accurately due to the long pull.

I've owned both, shot both...still have the sig, not the bodyguard. Love the sig, hated the bodyguard. feels better, more accurate, smoother trigger...in my experience there is absolutely no question. BUT...you should try out both and see what you like best and buy it.
    I am a hard-working self-employed conservative Christian white male gun owner. How else can I tick you off today?

I've shot both the Bodyguard and the P238 and I didn't like the long trigger pull on the Bodyguard. I ended up purchasing the P238 and I love it. The feel is a lot more solid than the Bodyguard and the trigger is smoother. Someone mentioned a reliability problem with the Sig, but this was fixed a while back, just make sure your P238 serial number starts with 27A.....You WILL enjoy this handgun!
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

My vote goes to the BG. Had a LCP and it was not consistent. It had to many FTF & FTE. I likes the Sig but felt it was heavy for a 380. The BG fit my needs but you need to choose what works for you. I have two concealed carry guns, the Bodyguard and a LC9. Not a lot of love here for these but they work for me. That is what you need to find, what works for you. Good luck.
    Frank.

How much do you want for the LC9? My wife gets grumpy when I want to carry hers.

I've got a P238 HD (all steel), and it's a great pistol. No problems, great trigger, accurate, and a nice slim profile. I chose the HD because I like to shoot my pistols and wanted the long term reliability.
    Exercise your 2nd amendment rights....not doing so jeopardizes that right for everyone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links