S&w 442

This is a discussion on S&w 442 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Picked up this little gem last night. Figures I take pictures of it before I actually shoot it :) It's my new "day-to-day, run to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: S&w 442

S&w 442

Picked up this little gem last night. Figures I take pictures of it before I actually shoot it :)

It's my new "day-to-day, run to the store quick, can't conceal my Glock" pocket gun, replacing my P3AT. If you're reading this and not just looking at the pictures... I was reluctant to get a j-frame at first. They still looked big, after owning the P3AT. I held it in the store and was amazed at how light is was. Took the plunge. Even though on paper it's "big"... it's small where it counts. The only thick part is the cylinder. Anywhere else it's thin. Not like a semi-auto, it's all bulky. The j-frame just works as a pocket gun. I think I'm going to like this :)

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I originally bought my 442 for a very specific role, and it ended up getting more carry time than anything else I own. It really surprised me both on my pocket and on the range. No wonder the snub has been a staple in self defense firearms for longer than any of us have been around.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Nice revolver. And nice photos, too.

I have a 442, also It's my pocket gun that replaced an LCP.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Same here.... It took me awhile, but after my first revolver I was hooked... I also agree with your thoughts regarding the measurements. It really conceals much better than the numbers would allude too. Excellent purchase IMO. I've thought about adding a 442 to my carry rotation, so far I have the 637 and the 638, oh and the LCR. The local GS has the S&W's for $329.00 + tax everyday. IMO, you can't go wrong at that price...

Congrats on the new revolver, and I agree, excellent photos.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I've got many hundreds of rounds through mine, and I love that little gun. I made a few mods to meet my specific needs.

1) I put a wolff shooter's pack main and trigger return spring in it. Really smoothed out the trigger pull and improved accuracy. Did not impact reliability at all.
    2) I removed the internal lock flag while I was in the guts. I had experienced trigger lock-up when rapid firing, so I removed the little internal lock flag and polished the contact points. Again, smoothed out even more.
    3) I put a set of old Chief Special wooden grips on it. They fit my hand better since I was used to small wooden revolver grips. It improved shootability for me because I can get my hand higher to the bore axis (the boot grip extend under the frame to the trigger guard, the wooden grip doesn't and I can get more grip higher on the gun).

All in all, mine is one of my favorite carry guns, either by itself, with my SP101, or with any of my semi-autos. People just don't believe how easy they are to carry and be accurate with given a couple hundred rounds of practice until they have one. 38+P is nothing to sneeze at. You've made a wise investment. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine.
    Attached Images
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Same here.... It took me awhile, but after my first revolver I was hooked... I also agree with your thoughts regarding the measurements. It really conceals much better than the numbers would allude too. Excellent purchase IMO. I've thought about adding a 442 to my carry rotation, so far I have the 637 and the 638, oh and the LCR. The local GS has the S&W's for $329.00 + tax everyday. IMO, you can't go wrong at that price...

Congrats on the new revolver, and I agree, excellent photos.
    I had originally planned on getting a 638 or 438 because I liked the SA capability. But the 442 was there and figured, what the heck. That's a good price at you LGS. I probably over paid for mine, but it was below Smith's MSRP atleast.

You should take a look at the clip-draw see in my avatar, It makes AIWB carry so easy.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    I'm really, really, really torn between the 442 and the Ruger LCR.

I need to log some more time on the 442 before I make a final decision.

Like you, I also have a small auto for "alternate" carry (99% of the time, I carry the same pistol, day in, day out) when my true carry is just too big/bulky, but instead of the need to go smaller, what I found out was that my autos aren't anywhere near as reliable as I thought they would be, when fired from inside a coat/jacket pocket.

A small, lightweight, hammerless revolver fits that bill.

Congrats on the new 442. Nice pics.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Agreed! Great gun; great pics!

Nice gun and great pics! I've got a 642 that is my primary carry in the summer/warm weather. I love the little gun.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I have had my 442 for almost two years .

Its a great weapon .

I do pocket carry it .

I have the Kel Tec .380 also .

You will really like tisone she is indeed a keeper

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    The J frames are the gold standard for small revolvers, and a big step up from the Kel Tec.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I just got a M&P 340 a few months ago myself! I found it used for a really good deal so I couldn't pass it up. Haven't regretted it yet.

Makes it easier to carry in the pocket than a semi auto at 4 or 5 o'clock with those Evo recaro seats

Quote Originally Posted by MIccw View Post
    I just got a M&P 340 a few months ago myself! I found it used for a really good deal so I couldn't pass it up. Haven't regretted it yet.

Makes it easier to carry in the pocket than a semi auto at 4 or 5 o'clock with those Evo recaro seats
    Haha funny you mention that :) When I get in my daily driven Malibu carrying IWb, It's so easy. You're right the Recaros in the Evo, I get in an have to take a few seconds to adjust :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links