Who Feels Under Gunned or Out Gunned Carrying a Revolver.

This is a discussion on Who Feels Under Gunned or Out Gunned Carrying a Revolver. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mine is a 7 shot revolver, the 5 shot .... is the back up. So, not too concerned for most situations. 12 shots without reloading. ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Who Feels Under Gunned or Out Gunned Carrying a Revolver.

Mine is a 7 shot revolver, the 5 shot .... is the back up. So, not too concerned for most situations. 12 shots without reloading.

Also carry higher capacity semi's .
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I will not be outgunned carrying a revolver. I am just not concerned about the capacity or the reload.
    +1 If I can't get the job done with three rounds, I'll throw the gun at 'em and run.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I think the revolver is just fine for everyday carry. It will do it's job when you need it too, and five shots is plenty for anything the average citizen might encounter. I agree with C Hawk, revolvers are very accurate, even when only with a 2 inch barrel. The issue folks have is that the sight radius is so short, and thus that makes it harder to quickly and easily get an accurate sight picture unless you practice practice practice.

Has anyone here seen 'The Way of The Gun'? Talk about an epic snub nosed v 1911 gunfight at the end of that movie.
    Last edited by IAm_Not_Lost; October 26th, 2011 at 02:40 AM. Reason: grammar
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

tts
    Quote Originally Posted by WvHiker View Post
    I carry a Glock 19 around all day, every day. It's nice to see cooler temps rolling around again; makes things all around easier on me. I'm strongly inclined to go out and buy a S&W 442 though. I carry the G19 because I just happen to like it, not because I feel undergunned without 15 rounds. I think I'd like a 442 just as much, and feel just as safe with it, provided I could shoot it as well. We'll have to wait and see. I had a brief period of carrying around a P3AT, but was never anywhere near as good with it as with my Glock. That and an issue with the trigger got it regulated to range toy. I have higher hopes for the j frame. I'm willing to practice with it, and I imagine that by the time the summer heat rolls around again I'll feel just fine about leaving the Glock behind in favor of the little snub.
    I was in this exact predicament -- have a G19 Gen 4 as my primary and wanted a decent BUG. Went with the S&W 442 Snubby with a Desantis Nemesis (pocket carry) holster and couldn't be happier. Tried the Ruger LCP, S&W Bodyguard, and Sig P238 but found them too hard to shoot accurately.

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    I'd never feel under-gunned or outgunned with a revolver.

Although I don't carry one - for sheer firepower I've gone with semi-autos - a 5-round S&W J-Frame would suit me just fine, in .38 sp or higher. The reason is that in most cases, as you'll know from reading Armed Citizen and similar, the mere presentation of the firearm will promptly end most engagements.

If you do have to open fire, there's no rule that says you have to hang around and ensure the BG(s) has been extirpated. Depending on circumstances, I'd want to get off the X and find a better location. For such cases and similar, a revolver offers accurate and reliable defense.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    It's not debatable, for all the years I have been shooting a revolver is for sure more accurate.
    I agree with this statement.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
    Either one works for me, I'm proficient with both. Capacity only matters if I plan on missing a lot, which I don't.
    I doubt anyone "plans" on missing a lot but what one plans for and what actually happens are two totally different things.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Its only people who don't carry and shoot revolvers that think carrying a revolver leaves you somehow under-gunned.

I carry revolvers and semi-auto handguns but the increased number of rounds in a semi is not what gives me the "warm fuzzy", its the fact that I can shoot either well that does.

I look at any handgun as a weapon of last resort......not as a weapon to get into firefights with guys carrying Ak's. I can still run away pretty fast with my handgun with me
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Who Feels Under Gunned or Out Gunned Carrying a Revolver.
    If you feel undergunned or outgunned carrying a revolver you probably are. I personally do not. If you can present and shoot a revolver with skill and you have what it takes in your own personal makeup to fight and win I don't feel you are undergunned carrying a revolver. This is often discussed on forums and is most likely a debate that can't be won.
    Magnum and DanielC like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I doubt anyone "plans" on missing a lot but what one plans for and what actually happens are two totally different things.
    Someone around here quotes Mike Tyson about everybody having a plan until they get hit. I suspect this is particularly true when dealing in bullets.

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    I carry a m36. It has a very specific purpose. It is not for gunfights or warfare. Just last -ditch defense at very short range under dreadful circumstances. No safety to forget how to operate in the fog of fear. No failures due to ammo. It has the simplest of all operating rules- point, pull trigger. I am a total amateur, and I think the snub revolver is the gun for total amateurs.
    wmhawth and candalos like this.
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Someone around here quotes Mike Tyson about everybody having a plan until they get hit. I suspect this is particularly true when dealing in bullets.
    That Mike Tyson quote was actually the first thing that came to mind lol.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by chiefs-special-guy View Post
    I carry a m36. It has a very specific purpose. It is not for gunfights or warfare. Just last -ditch defense at very short range under dreadful circumstances. No safety to forget how to operate in the fog of fear. No failures due to ammo. It has the simplest of all operating rules- point, pull trigger. I am a total amateur, and I think the snub revolver is the gun for total amateurs.
    That's probably exactly how if will go down if, God forbid, it does.

To me under gunned means facing a charging bull pachyderm with a 223.

Out gunned means my opponent is superior in skill.

With a six gun I am happy.
    Magnum likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I prefer to carry Revolvers. I carry Two all day every day. I carry reloads for both. I think that will take care of business.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links