Who Feels Under Gunned or Out Gunned Carrying a Revolver. - Page 3

Who Feels Under Gunned or Out Gunned Carrying a Revolver.

This is a discussion on Who Feels Under Gunned or Out Gunned Carrying a Revolver. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Dont feel outgunned or under gunned with my SP101, .357, at all. I will admit to carrying an auto (.45) when the situation warrants it ...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Who Feels Under Gunned or Out Gunned Carrying a Revolver.

Dont feel outgunned or under gunned with my SP101, .357, at all. I will admit to carrying an auto (.45) when the situation warrants it though.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

I don't feel under gunned with my 442; I read somewhere the FBI says most situations are resolved with less than 5 shots. I carry my SR9c when I go to the city.

VIP Member
    I have and shoot both revolvers and pistols in defensive calibers. For a good while I was carrying a S&W 640 (.357) and for most encounters that would require a handgun be employed, it will do the trick fabulously. However, I have noted a trend in perpdom that multiple perps and flash mobs are a thing to be concerned with. Yes, I agree the liklihood of being involved in a situation where more than 5 is not enough is extremely low, but I like to be prepared - an old Boy Scout habit.

Given that I can conceal a G30 or a PT-145 as easily, or possibly a bit easier, than my S&W 640 and that either has more than twice the firepower on board with a full chamber and mag and that reloads are faster, I have moved to the auto-loaders. Carrying a brace of extra mags I have 31 rounds with the PT-145 or 37 rounds with the G-30 (carrying G21 spare mags). I hope never to have to use my weapon and if I do, I certainly hope not to need many rounds, but given that I don't have to use all the rounds I am carrying, but I can't use more than I have, I have found carrying autoloaders to be my preference. That said, I carried my 640 yesterday and did not feel ill at ease.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

When I lived in a city with no car, I felt way under gunned with a revolver. I carried my Sig 229 .40 with spare mag, as well as a pair of snubbies. One on my weak side, one on my ankle.

Now that I am near my vehicle at almost all times my Sig is just for fighting to my rifle and shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanimal View Post
    When I lived in a city with no car, I felt way under gunned with a revolver. I carried my Sig 229 .40 with spare mag, as well as a pair of snubbies. One on my weak side, one on my ankle.

Now that I am near my vehicle at almost all times my Sig is just for fighting to my rifle and shotgun.
    A city....Baghdad? Kabul?
    Magnum likes this.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    It's not debatable, for all the years I have been shooting a revolver is for sure more accurate.
    It's the opposite for me, but then much depends on the revolvers vs. the autos you are using too.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I doubt anyone "plans" on missing a lot but what one plans for and what actually happens are two totally different things.
    Like the old saying goes, "Wanna hear GOD laugh, make plans."
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

GM
    Although I do not use to carry a revolver I do not feel undergunned carrying one. However, if I knew I am going to be in a very bad situation my sidearm will be a 1911 or a BHP.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

For me, it's having the confidence that I can put the round where it needs to go that helps me overcome the thoughts of only having five rounds to start off with. That coupled with the fact that, I feel the revolver is purely a self defense gun and not so much of a combat pistol... If I'm going into combat, and I know I'm going into combat, it's my shotgun and a couple of my high capacity "combat" pistols that will be accompanying me for that melee.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Ė Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Ė Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I doubt anyone "plans" on missing a lot but what one plans for and what actually happens are two totally different things.
    My only plan is carrying my gun. Because I always have my target in sight before I shoot, and always hit my target, I would never be so foolish as to fire a round without having a target to hit. Reality, not Hollywood.

I feel better with autos. part of it is is that I don't like the way revolvers feel in my hand. The other part is the lack of ammo and the slow reloads. Between adrenaline dump, the BG moving and me moving I figure at least 3 rounds expended per person. This isn't the square range, there won't be any of this 2 rounds and reassess. Then figure in the fact that there's a good chance they're on something and the rising trend towards 2 to 3 BGs in each encounter makes the less you have to reload the better. I'll stick with a G30 with G21 mags for reloads or a G19.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
    My only plan is carrying my gun. Because I always have my target in sight before I shoot, and always hit my target, I would never be so foolish as to fire a round without having a target to hit. Reality, not Hollywood.
    Assuming that because you always hit your target during practice that the same will hold true in a true defensive scenario is, in my opinion, misguided at best and potentially deadly at worse. "Hollywood" states that you can gun down targets on a roof top 100 yards away in the pitch black of night at a full sprint with a snubbie. Reality states that the average self defense shooting takes place between 5-7 yards and there are more misses then there are hits. Do the math.

I am not saying that a snubbie is a bad CCW option. I am only stating that basing that choice off of your givin plan of "I don't plan on missing a lot" is a bad idea.
    remington79 and Glockwatcher like this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    I'm reading lots of "I feel perfectly safe carrying a revolver, but will carry a semi when really expecting trouble" on this thread. That particular logic eludes me.
    ksholder, GreyGhost and candalos like this.

I feel well armed with a revolver. But I always carry at least 2 guns.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I'm reading lots of "I feel perfectly safe carrying a revolver, but will carry a semi when really expecting trouble" on this thread. That particular logic eludes me.
    I think its more along the line of "I feel perfectly safe carrying a revolver but giving the choice I would prefer a semi". My point of view is this. Carry the most firepower that you can for a given situation. Generally speaking I would prefer to carry a Kahr PM9/CM9 to a 5 shot snubbie. For close to the same size and weight of most snubbies your getting 2 extra rounds, generally a better trigger and a overall faster reload. My main gripe against the PM9 was cost but since they released the CM9 at a lower price point I cant really knock on them any more. I admit, I did feel a bit under gunned when I carried my SP101 as my primary. Was I REALLY undergunned? Probably not. But I have learned this - Carrying is less about what your carrying and how your carrying it and more about how you feel about carrying it. I feel better armed with a Glock 26 with a glock 17 mag as backup. Am I better armed? That is debatable. For the majority of situation I would need to deploy my CCW in... probably not. Does it make me FEEL better armed and thus more comfortable in my choice? Yep. So that is what I carry. If you carry a snubbie and your confident in that choice then you have made a good choice.
    Rigrat likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links