Who Feels Under Gunned or Out Gunned Carrying a Revolver.

This is a discussion on Who Feels Under Gunned or Out Gunned Carrying a Revolver. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Admittedly a noob but I change my carry by season and clothing. I have work restrictions that mandate an easily stowed gun when I arrive, ...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Who Feels Under Gunned or Out Gunned Carrying a Revolver.

Admittedly a noob but I change my carry by season and clothing. I have work restrictions that mandate an easily stowed gun when I arrive, so I use an LCP most of the time before now. I have a Model 60 which is my preferred choice and if I figure a way to hide her away discreetly I will carry her more. I am fair with the reload and not worried about that aspect, and I carry and shoot .357 without issue. (.357 was also a choice for woods carry). I don't feel undergunned, but that said, may add a New York Reload to the equation, after a guy I work with who lives in the town we work in was assaulted by four thugs. Half that is an excuse to buy another snubby. 'Cuz I DO love the snubby.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Assuming that because you always hit your target during practice that the same will hold true in a true defensive scenario is, in my opinion, misguided at best and potentially deadly at worse. "Hollywood" states that you can gun down targets on a roof top 100 yards away in the pitch black of night at a full sprint with a snubbie. Reality states that the average self defense shooting takes place between 5-7 yards and there are more misses then there are hits. Do the math.

I am not saying that a snubbie is a bad CCW option. I am only stating that basing that choice off of your givin plan of "I don't plan on missing a lot" is a bad idea.
    It's your opinion that's misguided. Being that I shoot TIN CANS without missing between 5-7 yards, and the self defense target between 5-7 yards will be man-size, hitting my target is a piece of cake. What is potentially deadly is to carry a gun, "PLANNING" to miss a lot, not to the contrary. Like I said, reality, NOT Hollywood.

OD*
    I can hit tin cans at 5 to 7 yards with boring consistency too, but they aren't shooting back either.
    Glockwatcher likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I am just fine with my j-frame 640PD with .357mag or .38spcl. Pull trigger, bang. Fangtastic weapon for close quarters and never have to worry about the weapon jamming if the slide hits the bad guy, or casing getting stovepiped, etc. i can also fire while it is still in my jacket / coat pocket without actually drawing weapon from said pocket. Don't get me wrong.....love my Glock 30, both of my 1911's and S&W Bodyguard and carry all of them in different situations.....but no matter which one I carry, I always have my snubbie revolver, as a back up or primary.

Another frequently overlooked superiority of carrying a revolver is that I can't crack nuts on a restaurant table-top with the butt of a SA without buggering up the magazine - OK, so why is everybody looking at me
    Cory1022 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    I can hit tin cans at 5 to 7 yards with boring consistency too, but they aren't shooting back either.
    Nor do they shoot first.

OD*
    That's an excellent point.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I am often tempted to buy a revolver.. but my brain tends to give a slight edge to semi autos. I know revolvers are more simple and therefore more reliable, but I prefer the longer sight radius, faster reloads, and flat profile of semi autos. Also my semi autos are very reliable.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Nor do they shoot first.
    That's an excellent point.
    And they are not making evasive motions trying to get away.
    Secret Spuk and OD* like this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    While my preferred carry gun is a full sized Colt 1911 I have reached a point in my life, because of back problems and walking with a cane most of the time, that a 5 shot revolver is my regular carry gun. I carried one as a BUG and off duty for a number of years and am both comfortable and proficient with the Smith 340M&P that resides in a front pocket holster. I have just never warmed up to sub compact semis. I don't feel undergunned with my choice but then I stay out of potential harm's way as much as possible.

VIP Member
    Well when us officers got into a gun battle or was going to a incident where trouble was most likely to occur we broke out the long arms such as shotguns and rifles. Sidearms are for the moment , so I feel ok with a revolver until I can get away. As a civilian all u need is to stop the threat so u can get away to see another Birthday.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    Well when us officers got into a gun battle or was going to a incident where trouble was most likely to occur we broke out the long arms such as shotguns and rifles. Sidearms are for the moment , so I feel ok with a revolver until I can get away. As a civilian all u need is to stop the threat so u can get away to see another Birthday.
    Where I spend the bulk of my time there is no back-up coming, no safe haven to get away to, and no heavy artillery to fight my way back to. All I have is what I brought along. I am alone, and on my own. The police are 10-15 minutes away, as is the ambulance.
    OD* and zonker1986 like this.

VIP Member
    I carry my S&W model 66 most of the time, I can shoot it well (although my wife is becoming better shot with it than I am ) and have never felt under gunned. If I do carry an automatic (usually just for a change and not because I am expecting any trouble), I carry a SA champion 1911 with 7 round mag and 1 chambered, not much more than my smith, just a faster reload.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

I am comfortable with my 5 banger when I choose to carry it.... when I am not, I swap it out for a hicap autoloader.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
    It's your opinion that's misguided. Being that I shoot TIN CANS without missing between 5-7 yards, and the self defense target between 5-7 yards will be man-size, hitting my target is a piece of cake. What is potentially deadly is to carry a gun, "PLANNING" to miss a lot, not to the contrary. Like I said, reality, NOT Hollywood.
    So, you get the adrenaline rush of being in a life threatening situation when shooting tin cans? Your tin cans shoot back? Your tin cans move and duck and find cover? If the answer to any of those questions in "NO" then I am pretty sure comparing your accuracy when shooting at tin cans is not going to be valid measure of your accuracy in a true defensive situation. Even the increase in heart rate from jogging can have DRASTIC effects on accuracy.
    Glockwatcher likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links