Who Feels Under Gunned or Out Gunned Carrying a Revolver.

This is a discussion on Who Feels Under Gunned or Out Gunned Carrying a Revolver. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lots of silly hyper-rapid-fire is noticed at public ranges as if emptying the gun as fast as possible is the most effective use of it. ...

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Who Feels Under Gunned or Out Gunned Carrying a Revolver.

Lots of silly hyper-rapid-fire is noticed at public ranges as if emptying the gun as fast as possible is the most effective use of it. While I'd not be enthused about having to go up against some of y'all here on the Forum, the quality of marksmanship on the street isn't of such high caliber if lawmen's stories, news reports, and personal observation are considered.

Of course there's always the lucky, golden bullet...
    Magnum likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

2. Remove Ads

Nah...001.jpg
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

I personally prefer an auto. It boils down to what you're comfortable with and have confidence in. IMHO
    Worms gotta eat, same as buzzards................

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I'm reading lots of "I feel perfectly safe carrying a revolver, but will carry a semi when really expecting trouble" on this thread. That particular logic eludes me.
    I think what the analogy alludes to is, at least for me any way. A revolver is mostly thought of as a defense weapon vs the high capacity auto, which is generally considered a combat pistol. When I leave home to head out to my office, I don't consider myself as heading off into combat, so the five shot revolver with a couple of speed strips seems prudent over the bulkier auto. With that said I still carry my M&P on some days just for the heck of it; feeling under gunned never enters my mind, but that's just me.
    Rigrat and candalos like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I think what the analogy alludes to is, at least for me any way. A revolver is mostly thought of as a defense weapon vs the high capacity auto, which is generally considered a combat pistol. When I leave home to head out to my office, I don't consider myself as heading off into combat, so the five shot revolver with a couple of speed strips seems prudent over the bulkier auto. With that said I still carry my M&P on some days just for the heck of it; feeling under gunned never enters my mind, but that's just me.
    I carry hi-cap Glocks nearly all the time, and feeling under-gunned never enters my mind, either. Heck, I'm perfectly comfortable when I only carry one. At those rare times when I'm down to a single-stack Kahr, I feel particularly light. Maybe it is just gravity.
    gottabkiddin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    I don't go to Vegas and I don't stake my life on percentages. I carry enough firepower for the worst case scenario, not the least. And if you've been to a large city gun range lately.......da homies are practicing their gun skills a lot, and they can hit what they are shooting at. I think it is pretty naiive to assume any confrontation requiring the use of a firearm, that your opponent will be a lousy shot or that because of your training, you will be better.
    You never know when you'll encounter that worst case scenario. :)
    Die-Hard-Trailer-Series-18.jpg

I don't feel Under Gunned or Out Gunned on an everyday outing with a Revolver, but if I know I going into a gunbattle, I'm gonna be carrying a sidearm among other weapons and it will be a Semi Auto.
    Isn't this something of an apples and oranges type of statement? If you feel under- or out-gunned by whatever you're carrying, then why are you carrying X (insert name of weapon) to begin with? Comparing carrying for an "everyday outing" vs. going into a gunbattle seems a bit pointless, as they are two completely different situations. As others have previously posted, we basically EDC the weapon WE feel we have the most confidence in for that particular "average" situation. I don't think anyone would deny that they would want to be more heavily armed if they were knowingly going into a gunbattle. At that point, however, the pistol/revolver is no longer the primary weapon of choice, the combat situation makes it become a BUG.
    In answer to that original post: I'm fine carrying a revolver in my daily life, but I'd want to be in full body amour with as many weapons, and ammo for them, as I could carry if going into a gunbattle.
    candalos likes this.

I carried a j frame and a couple of speed strips for many, many years. I lived in a rural/suburban low crime area. It worked for me.

Fast forward to today. I now live in Florida. I love it here but the crime rate is MUCH higher than where I come from. More crimes by multiple perps. And I'm no longer in my prime! I've switched to Glocks for capacity and quick reloads. And much better sights than my old Model 36 S&W. My carry for the day is governed by what I'm doing and where I'm going. But I always carry the biggest gun I can each day. This ranges from a Glock 17. Through a Glock 26. Back to my old EDC the S&W model 36. And finally down to a Taurus TCP 738.

However I no longer have that nice comfy feeling carrying the old j frame by itself like I used to. I usually pair that gun with the Taurus. If I owned a pair of j frames I would probably be good carrying both but not just one. For me it's more about reload time than my ability to shoot the gun.
    Question Everything!

The first rule of gun fighting is bring a gun

The second rule of gun fighting is bring enough gun(s). If you are carrying any gun you are way ahead of the majority. If you are well trained then you are even better off. The whole caliber/capacity argument certainly has some merit but, I think, too often we equate firepower with ability or worse, we put it ahead of ability. I usually carry a 1911 and two spare mags for a total of 24 or 25 rounds, depending on whether I am carrying a commander or officer sized gun. More importantly, I train to be able change those mags quickly and shoot while on the move. On the rare occasion that I can only carry one of the LCP's that I own I don't feel under gunned because I know that I can shoot it well. If I knew I were going into a gunfight I would take both my Glock 23's and as many of mags as I could possibly carry as well as a rifle or shotgun but then I would rather just stay home.

The first rule of any gunfight is "Don't be there". IMO personal protection shouldn't be complicated and shouldn't be a chore. Survival should come natural. Some instructors like to complicate the concept of self-defense with a handgun. They make the theory of concealed carry out to be almost as complicated as calculus. Advanced gun fighting skills are really not needed in my "everyday life", I'm not on a Swat team, I'm not a bounty hunter, and I'm not a Sheepdog. When it comes to "everyday survival and the basics" of personal defense with a firearm, the old axiom "keep it simple" applies.

I like revolvers, and I won't feel under or outgunned carrying one, with reloads or another gun. In fact, I have a S&W 65 that I love, and want to get a Ruger LCR for a BUG. There's also the SP101 that I'm waiting to get, and the S&W 629 snubby that I daydream about...

Carrying 5 or 6 shots alone just doesn't make any sense to me when dropping a strip in your pocket with additional rounds is so easy. I know the whole "3 rounds, 3 feet, 3 seconds" thing is a favorite quote of those that carry with no reloads and such, but the fact is that these days it's more likely that you will face two or three guys at three feet. It sucks to say this, but anybody can miss when they get surprised and that adrenaline dumps into your system. I know we are all USPSA Grand Masters, but sometimes the gun gods don't smile on us and we miss. (myself included, but ssshh don't tell anyone)
    And there's always the "I don't go to bad places so I shouldn't need more than X rounds." Unfortunately, bad guys travel. They live in bad places and have to go to good places (likely the places like you live) to get the nice things that you have.

I hate to sound like a jerk, but a fight for your life is not the place to be playing the laws of averages.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Murphy's Law

It is better to have too many rounds to shoot then not enough at one time

If I knew that it was ONLY going to be 1/BG, at/3', for/3-sec, and only need 3/shots then my wheelie will work for me be it my 357mag or 44special, but do you feel that lucky today
    Knightrider likes this.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I Don't feel undergunned with a wheel gun, just under-reloaded.
    Knightrider and candalos like this.

Never. I hit what I aim at with K or L frame Smiths.

I also carry two guns and my wife and most of my friends carry. Second rule of a gun fight bring friends with guns.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I normally carry a 1911 (7 rounds ) with an extra mag, but I occationally carry an EAA Windicator .357 mag (6 rounds ) with an extra speed loader. I dont plan on missing. 14 rounds vs 12 rounds
    Magnum likes this.
    MIA/POW , Bring em home or Send us back

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Links