Who Feels Under Gunned or Out Gunned Carrying a Revolver.

This is a discussion on Who Feels Under Gunned or Out Gunned Carrying a Revolver. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by zonker1986 I don't go to Vegas and I don't stake my life on percentages. I carry enough firepower for the worst case ...

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Who Feels Under Gunned or Out Gunned Carrying a Revolver.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    I don't go to Vegas and I don't stake my life on percentages. I carry enough firepower for the worst case scenario, not the least. And if you've been to a large city gun range lately.......da homies are practicing their gun skills a lot, and they can hit what they are shooting at. I think it is pretty naiive to assume any confrontation requiring the use of a firearm, that your opponent will be a lousy shot or that because of your training, you will be better.
    As I look at line 23b of my DD214 I see it says 0-50.56 Proof Tech ( Small Arms), the line below it that says COMBAT ACTION RIBBON, and the date 1970, looks like the Marine Corps 'thinks' I can shoot, The NVA I fought against 'thinks' I can shoot, and the ranges I have been shooting at 3 times a month for the last 43 years 'thinks' I can shoot.

You, friend, may indeed be scared crapless of Jamal, or Pedro. I am not.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I would not say I feel under-gunned or out-gunned with a revolver. I just feel more confident with the pistol, particularly a Glock. I can carry my Glock 26 comfortably and I see no reason to not carry it over a revolver. However in the woods I would probably feel more comfortable carrying a .357 Magnum in the woods. I just train more with pistols and I can reload them faster as well as fix problems with them versus a revolver.

I have carried Sigs, Glocks, Colt, Beretta, S&W semis..etc..
    but have now gone back to all revolvers for ccw purposes.

Been carrying my S&W 66 snub, and just ordered a 340 M&P (no lock version).
    For my purposes, a revolver is fine for self-defense.
    The shape conceals better for me, and I trust the reliability (if well maintained).
    semi autos or revolvers will work, but for me...Revolvers rule!

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    Like you said, I wouldn't feel under gunned carrying a revolver day to day. But if for some horrible reason I know I was going to be forced into a gunfight, I'd most certainly be carrying a semi-auto. I primarily carry a G30SF with a spare mag. Jut bought a j-frame for the "other" times I'm carrying and can't carry my G30.
    That's interesting and I know many feel the same way.

We do arm ourselves in case a situation arises, and some situations can certainly be gunfights.

But the philosophy that "I feel well armed with the revolver that I might have to depend on to save my life---unless I'm really going to be in a gunfight" is a little puzzling.

Not trying to put words in anyones' mouths, but that's what it sorta sounds lik

Not hearing from too many who would feel as "well armed" with a revolver (no long guns available) when the shootin' actually starts.

Truth is, I sometimes carry a revolver as a primary weapon. I just consider it an assumed risk and know I'm not as well armed (with a pistol) as I could be. I carry a P229, etc. for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Work View Post
    I carried a Semi Auto Pistol in Combat for 2 years (Walther P-38) and I started out carrying a Revolver for my first 14 years of Law Enforcement and as a Peace Officer. The Agencies I worked for then either issued a Semi Auto or allowed you to carry your personal Gun, which ever you wished after about 1985.

I've always said that if I had to go back into combat one of the guns I'd be carrying would be a Glock 21, a 1911 or a Browning HP. Now and again I'll be going to town in the Day Time and I'll carry a J Frame or a K Frame S&W, but I usually carry a Semi Auto or two at most other times.....

I don't feel Under Gunned or Out Gunned on an everyday outing with a Revolver, but if I know I going into a gunbattle, I'm gonna be carrying a sidearm among other weapons and it will be a Semi Auto.

How about you guys and gals, how do you feel about this????

Jungle Work
    I don't know, but it sounds like you have more experience than me and my opinion would not be worth much. However, I have to say that I would be the most comfortable with the gun that I shoot the best and have the most confidence in. Especially if it was a large caliber.
    BTW, if I knew I was going into a gun battle, I would take them ALL!!
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

I used to carry a S&W Model 60 357 5 shot revolver with a laser /w short barrel. I used to practice every week from 7-25 yrds. Never felt comfortable with it, and my groups were usually 3-4" apart, plus it kicks like a mule. I've since then changed to a S&W Model 457 .45acp semi-auto 7+1. I practice every week with it, and shoot with the ammo I carry. My marksmanship has improved, and my groups are tighter. I don't think I was under gunned, but I traded accuracy for confortability in carrying. The 457 weighs more than the revolver (2.2lbs loaded), but I feel the improvement in accuracy makes up for the extra weight. Accuracy is everything in a gun fight. I might add that competing in IDPA also helped.

tts
    Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    I would not say I feel under-gunned or out-gunned with a revolver. I just feel more confident with the pistol, particularly a Glock. I can carry my Glock 26 comfortably and I see no reason to not carry it over a revolver. However in the woods I would probably feel more comfortable carrying a .357 Magnum in the woods. I just train more with pistols and I can reload them faster as well as fix problems with them versus a revolver.
    I carry both. Glock is my primary but I wouldn't ever give up my S&W 442 as a BUG. J-frame revolvers make an EXCELLENT carry gun (used by many LEOs) and the 442, in particular, has an internal hammer so it can be fired from a pocket.

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    I CCW my S&W 19 Snubbie once in a while,I feel far from under gunned........Its a beast
    and deadly reliable ...but its heavy so I use it on big coat days
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Love Smith & Wesson 2 1/2-inch K-Frame Magnums. Six shots of .357 Magnum goodness all done up in a smooth and classy package.
    sonnycrocket likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I came to the wheelies later in life, I hadn't ever shot a revolver until after I got my Permit. After trying several I found that I just shoot better with a revolver, and my reloads are faster. I'm an odd duck in the modern era, but its my preference. I know a semiauto is better for LEOs and Military, but for the guy on the street it works. Honestly though I know that the semiautos are better on a lot of things, but when it comes to putting rounds where I want them too it is a revolver for me.
    tts likes this.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

tts
    Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    I came to the wheelies later in life, I hadn't ever shot a revolver until after I got my Permit. After trying several I found that I just shoot better with a revolver, and my reloads are faster. I'm an odd duck in the modern era, but its my preference. I know a semiauto is better for LEOs and Military, but for the guy on the street it works. Honestly though I know that the semiautos are better on a lot of things, but when it comes to putting rounds where I want them too it is a revolver for me.
    I can attest to this. Once you "learn" how to shoot a revolver, it's smooth sailing from then on.

If I'm expecting to be in a gunfight and only have a pistol available...Then I can be reasonably sure that the planning phase of this operation has gone terribly, and inexcusably awry. I carry a handgun for last ditch, close range last resort action.

That being said I recently read of a USAF security officer who stopped an active shooter who was armed with an AK and 75 round drum magazine. The security officer fired 4 rounds from his Beretta 92FS (which he had never fired before as his was at the armorer) stopping the active shooter. He hit with 2 of 4 rounds with the decisive shot being square between the eyes. The security officer estimated the advancing bad guy to be at about 35 yards. The actual measured distance was about 70 yards.

It can be done by someone with enough skill, determination and strength of will.

I certainly doubt my ability at that range with any of the weapons I carry. Maybe it's time for another trip to the range. :)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by boatail View Post
    I don't know, but it sounds like you have more experience than me and my opinion would not be worth much. However, I have to say that I would be the most comfortable with the gun that I shoot the best and have the most confidence in. Especially if it was a large caliber.
    BTW, if I knew I was going into a gun battle, I would take them ALL!!

If I knew I was going to be in a gun battle I would stay home.
    l1a1 and candalos like this.

Quote Originally Posted by l1a1 View Post
    If I'm expecting to be in a gunfight and only have a pistol available...Then I can be reasonably sure that the planning phase of this operation has gone terribly, and inexcusably awry. I carry a handgun for last ditch, close range last resort action.

That being said I recently read of a USAF security officer who stopped an active shooter who was armed with an AK and 75 round drum magazine. The security officer fired 4 rounds from his Beretta 92FS (which he had never fired before as his was at the armorer) stopping the active shooter. He hit with 2 of 4 rounds with the decisive shot being square between the eyes. The security officer estimated the advancing bad guy to be at about 35 yards. The actual measured distance was about 70 yards.

It can be done by someone with enough skill, determination and strength of will.

I certainly doubt my ability at that range with any of the weapons I carry. Maybe it's time for another trip to the range. :)
    I'm certain I would never be able to make a 70 yard shot. I'd be too busy hiding and soiling my britches.
    l1a1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by thebusinesse View Post
    If I knew I was going to be in a gun battle I would stay home.
    I stand corrected, much better choice
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Links