Who Feels Under Gunned or Out Gunned Carrying a Revolver. - Page 8

Who Feels Under Gunned or Out Gunned Carrying a Revolver.

This is a discussion on Who Feels Under Gunned or Out Gunned Carrying a Revolver. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by bmcgilvray Love Smith & Wesson 2 1/2-inch K-Frame Magnums. Six shots of .357 Magnum goodness all done up in a smooth and ...

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Who Feels Under Gunned or Out Gunned Carrying a Revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Love Smith & Wesson 2 1/2-inch K-Frame Magnums. Six shots of .357 Magnum goodness all done up in a smooth and classy package.
    I, too. A 2 1/2" 66, but it is heavy.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

I don't feel undergunned at all with my S&W 329PD loaded with Hornady 165 grain .44 Special vs. my Glock 23.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    I'm not sure I understand the concept of a "self-defense situation" being different than a "combat" situation other than in military combat you have other resources to rely on and in a self-defense situation you are likely on your own.

You are either in a fight or you are not.

Jim
    ksholder likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanJim View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the concept of a "self-defense situation" being different than a "combat" situation other than in military combat you have other resources to rely on and in a self-defense situation you are likely on your own.

You are either in a fight or you are not.

Jim
    IMO the most important factor would be the training of the individual perpetrating the attack. It might be just me, but I don't think there's too many ex Navy Seals, Rangers, military personnel, or ex law enforcement for that matter out there killing and robbing folks. You get into a fight with one of those guys and IMO you can consider yourself in a combat situation. The rest are just punks and thugs hell bent on taking advantage of the folks that cruse around unprepared. Stick a revolver in their face and all they're gonna see is the barrel, that's the end that they understand and want no part of. That IMO is not combat, it's an assault perpetrated by a punk, with most likely no training at all and even less intelligence. JMO

Magnum and Glockwatcher like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

5 Shots?

Quote Originally Posted by crue2009 View Post
    the biggest drawback to the revolver is your limited to only 5 shots,much slower reloads, and probably only have a 2"barrel,but for day to day carry the revolver serves it purpose just fine..if in a gun battle though,i'd much prefer the semi auto for its higher capacity,quicker reloads and better accuracy..
    Not with my Colt snubs or any other Colt revolver of mine which shoot 6.

I have yet to hear or read of an SD incident that had more than 6 rounds fired, usually 2 or 3. Besides, a revolver can be reloaded and well with practice in case you feel the need.

A snub revolver is a near perfect self-defense ccw weapon, it is simplicity itself, accuracy at SD distances (and mine are accurate way out beyond that), concealability, reliability, safest to load and unload, easiest to check for operation and loaded status - and revolvers have a whole history of success in the field dating back to the 19th century. If I had only one SD gun, it would be one of my revolvers. I trust them more than anything else.

Only a very, very odd BG would want to have a gun battle with a victim. They want an easy and quick wallet - not Normandy.
    Given an 80% frequency of flight when a gun is presented, the statistical probability of facing someone that required a real gunfight to save your life is so minute you may as well install a second emergency brake on your car in case your brakes fail and then your standard emergency brake does also.

That said, carry the gun you shoot best - whatever it is. That's always #1.

I truly think that the best gun to carry is the one you have the most confidence in. I prefer revolvers personally, and I have no doubt that I'm well armed when I carry them. If you're a person that prefers a 1911, by all means, that's what you should carry. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer here. Carry what makes YOU feel safe.

I have a revolver in a bed side holster and my 1911 in the night stand. Revolver is my go to because 6 shots should be plenty. If I need more wife is probably shooting also and I won't reload, I will have the 1911 out. I have faith in my 1911 but I know the revolver will shoot. Bad round? who cares, keep pulling the trigger, at 3:00 AM I don't feel like doing a malfunction drill.

I carry a revolver or semiauto with an equal level of confidence. I carry them to be discrete and for the convienence but I feel undergunned when carrying any handgun and I have no enthusiasm for the thought of having to fight for my life with one. If or when the time comes to save my life or the life of another, I'll either have or be wishing for a shotgun or rifle.

VIP Member
    I often carry my Govener in a shoulder rig! Can still take a small semi if I got a bad feeling. I feel very secure with the 45 colt. I can shoot very fast with it and its accurate. The recoil is not bad either.

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    I'm still carrying Two 357 Snubs. I don't see any reason to change.

I feel fine with a revolver...better than fine, actually.
    gottabkiddin and candalos like this.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Got my 638 on as I type this....
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

First of all, I carry situational awareness, though I know my perceptions are not fool-proof. Secondly, though not in matter of importance, I carry spiritual awareness, realizing there is One who is watching out for me in spite of myself, lastly I carry what I am accustomed to and can handle with safety and confidence, for me that means a revolver, the caliber and number of rounds dependent upon the situation (as few as five as many as eight). When I read the quantity and capacity of what many of you carry I simply think, 'My God, I'm glad I don't live where they do.'

I'm comfortable with anything I've trained with. I have complete confidence in my revolver(s) and pistol(s) as a result. Each of these tools have advantages and disadvantages. Learn them and then adapt to them.

I would like to be able to carry two guns at once but since I can't I have to make my carry gun the best over all option since I can only carry one at a time.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Sponsored Links