Who Feels Under Gunned or Out Gunned Carrying a Revolver.

This is a discussion on Who Feels Under Gunned or Out Gunned Carrying a Revolver. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carried a Semi Auto Pistol in Combat for 2 years (Walther P-38) and I started out carrying a Revolver for my first 14 years ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Who Feels Under Gunned or Out Gunned Carrying a Revolver.

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell

I carried a Semi Auto Pistol in Combat for 2 years (Walther P-38) and I started out carrying a Revolver for my first 14 years of Law Enforcement and as a Peace Officer. The Agencies I worked for then either issued a Semi Auto or allowed you to carry your personal Gun, which ever you wished after about 1985.

I've always said that if I had to go back into combat one of the guns I'd be carrying would be a Glock 21, a 1911 or a Browning HP. Now and again I'll be going to town in the Day Time and I'll carry a J Frame or a K Frame S&W, but I usually carry a Semi Auto or two at most other times.....

I don't feel Under Gunned or Out Gunned on an everyday outing with a Revolver, but if I know I going into a gunbattle, I'm gonna be carrying a sidearm among other weapons and it will be a Semi Auto.

How about you guys and gals, how do you feel about this????

Jungle Work
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

I feel well armed with a revolver, I have other guns and if I am going into a high crime area I would carry two guns, I have a Kahr PM9 and like it, but I carry my 642 most of the time.

RKM
    Like you said, I wouldn't feel under gunned carrying a revolver day to day. But if for some horrible reason I know I was going to be forced into a gunfight, I'd most certainly be carrying a semi-auto. I primarily carry a G30SF with a spare mag. Jut bought a j-frame for the "other" times I'm carrying and can't carry my G30.

I was open carrying a Ruger Police Service Six a couple years ago and a lady asked me, "Are you expecting trouble?" and I replied, "No ma'am, if I were expecting trouble I'd have brought my shotgun." She smiled and went on her way as I held the door open for her.

For everyday carry, I have no issue with my 442 or SP101 and many times I carry them both together. I often carry a semi-auto, and usually have my 442 in my weak side pocket with it. If I were going into a situation where I believed there was a high probability of violence, I'd take high capacity, lots of ammo, and several guns. That is one area where I believe there is a lot of merit to the Glock platform. Take a G19 and a G26 with lots of hi cap magazines and they will work in either weapon. Now I don't own either of those particular weapons, but that does make a lot of sense to me from an ammo and magazine standpoint. Any mag you grab works in either gun.
    l1a1 likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Either one works for me, I'm proficient with both. Capacity only matters if I plan on missing a lot, which I don't.

the biggest drawback to the revolver is your limited to only 5 shots,much slower reloads, and probably only have a 2"barrel,but for day to day carry the revolver serves it purpose just fine..if in a gun battle though,i'd much prefer the semi auto for its higher capacity,quicker reloads and better accuracy..

Hi crue2009;

They do make revolvers that hold more than 5 rounds and it is highly debatable that the semi-auto has better accuracy than the revolver.

I will not be outgunned carrying a revolver. I am just not concerned about the capacity or the reload.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I carry a Glock 19 around all day, every day. It's nice to see cooler temps rolling around again; makes things all around easier on me. I'm strongly inclined to go out and buy a S&W 442 though. I carry the G19 because I just happen to like it, not because I feel undergunned without 15 rounds. I think I'd like a 442 just as much, and feel just as safe with it, provided I could shoot it as well. We'll have to wait and see. I had a brief period of carrying around a P3AT, but was never anywhere near as good with it as with my Glock. That and an issue with the trigger got it regulated to range toy. I have higher hopes for the j frame. I'm willing to practice with it, and I imagine that by the time the summer heat rolls around again I'll feel just fine about leaving the Glock behind in favor of the little snub.
    tts likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Hi crue2009;

They do make revolvers that hold more than 5 rounds and it is highly debatable that the semi-auto has better accuracy than the revolver.

I will not be outgunned carrying a revolver. I am just not concerned about the capacity or the reload.

It's not debatable, for all the years I have been shooting a revolver is for sure more accurate.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
    Either one works for me, I'm proficient with both. Capacity only matters if I plan on missing a lot, which I don't.
    Well said. My three current pistol all carry with 8 round mags two in 45acp and one in 9mm, 9 total per pistol. I carry at least one spare mag sometimes have a dual mag pouch for the Kimbers when in harms way I guest. If I thought I couldn't shoot them well then I'd be worried. A high cap 9mm would be great/ideal and can conceal just as easy as my two larger framed pistol in 45acp. I don't plan spray my way out of trouble though, each round has a lawyer attached as they say....lol.

My usual carry is an officer sized 1911 or, on occaision a full size. But I also have a 6 round EAA Windicator in .357mag. I have a speedloader in my center console with another 6 rounds. 12 rounds of 158gr .357 hydroshock type rounds is enough to ruin a BG's day.
    paching and DanielC like this.
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
    - G. K. Chesterton

VIP Member
    Ed Lovette wrote the book on the The Snubby Revolver. He concurs that it is a most-likely carry in comparison to other guns. On being "under gunned", in a chapter he calls, "Derringer Tactics", he says
    To me, the five-shot snubby is the modern-day equivalent of the riverboat gambler's derringer. Like the derringer, it is light and small enough to always have with you. But, also like ther derringer, it and the word, "firepower", should not be used in the same sentence (without including the phrase, "lack of"). Effective confrontation management with the five-shot revolver places a premium on strong tactical skills.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

I've never felt outgunned or undergunned with a revolver because I usually hit what I'm shooting at. When I'm big game handgun hunting with either the S&W .500 or Redhawk .454 Casull, bring it on - whatever it is. I've never fired any production, non-target hangun with more speed and accuracy (either target or combat range) than I did with a Ruger "Security Six" .357 mag during my LE years (seems like a million years ago); I could also pull two at a time from the belt-loops of a Sam Brown rig and reload as fast (if not faster) than most fellow officers could do when pulling a revolver speed-loader or SA magazine from a belt case. However, defensive CC is a whole different ballgame from active-duty LE, and a revolver (at least for me) is simply too bulky to conceal, carry around all day, and quickly reload when I don't have an exposed set of belt loops full of ammo to draw from.

me.
    Jungle Work likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I love my Security Six with a passion, it could have had a brother there was a six inch model in the gun shop for 350!! I walked out, went to the bank, came back and its potential new brother was gone. Heartbroken does not even describe it.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links