Temporary Living, what to take

This is a discussion on Temporary Living, what to take within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll be moving soon, and will be in a temporary rental for a while by myself until we get a house purchased and get moved. ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zacii

Thread: Temporary Living, what to take

I'll be moving soon, and will be in a temporary rental for a while by myself until we get a house purchased and get moved. I'm moving to Florida, which reciprocates with Virginia and I'll still be a resident of VA for a while. And I'll get started on my FL permit application soon after I arrive.

So, I've thought long and hard about what to take with me (since I can't realistically take them all at first) and I've decided on 2 handguns (I'll also take my Moss 500 12ga for HD). My XD40sc and my S&W 442. One for IWB and one for pocket. I've got thousands of rounds through them both combined, so I know my abilities with both very well. I have lots of extra mags and speed loaders too.

I thought about my Bersa Thunder 9 uc, which is 13+1 of 9mm and I have 4 mags. It is reliable and I shoot it well. My P95 is too big, the PT709 is low capacity (which I have the snub for), the G36 is new to me and I'm not confident with it yet, and my SP101 I love, but again it is not pocketable and is low cap.

So, here is where I'm asking for your opinion. The Bersa 9uc and the XD40sc are essentially the same size and weight, and I shoot them equally well. Is there any plus to one over the other between 9+1 of .40 or 13+1 of 9mm? I have more trigger time behind the .40 and I like the sights better. The Bersa is DA/SA, so initial trigger pull is heavier. This really isn't about caliber for me as I am confident with both. Overall I have a little more confidence in the XD40sc since I have more rounds through it, but the capacity difference can't be ignored. But on the other hand, with 9+1 of .40 and 5 mags, is it really that much of a difference? Whichever one I take I'm going to put a couple hundred rounds through before I go. I thought I had my mind made up until I started typing.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Take the XD with a service size magazine, or two.

I suggest that because you say that you have more trigger time with it, and because that's the one I would pick.
    Toorop likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I'd go with the SA XD40 SC, come to think of it I already did!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Take the same gun that you carry now.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member
    It sounds like the xd40 is the one for you.

VIP Member
    Take whichever one you have the most confidence in. Either one will serve you will.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    When I went to Florida for a month I carried what I always do. Two revolvers. I also took along my Glock 26. I figured that would about cover anything that came along. As it turned out all I needed was my Pepper Spray. A stray Boxer Dog decided he didn't like me on his sidewalk and started circling me and growling. Not wanting to kill someones dog I gave him a blast of pepper. He stopped, sat down, and left me alone.

I carry the XD40sc more now than anything else, and I do have the most experience and confidence with it. That settles it for me, I just need to go put a couple hundred rounds through it soon just because I've been shooting a lot of other stuff lately.

The 442 will serve as my weak-side pocket gun or my primary carry in pocket when I'm wearing something that I can't conceal IWB (tucked-in white dress shirt). I always carry pepper spray also. Hopefully I won't NEED any of it, but you just never know. Thanks for your replies.

I would take the XD myself. I like semi auto guns more than revolvers as well as high capacity guns.

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Take the XD with a service size magazine, or two.

I suggest that because you say that you have more trigger time with it, and because that's the one I would pick.
    Great advice. I would also take a full sized gun as well. A full sized XD40 would compliment the subcompact XD nicely.

Well, the only "full sized" gun I have right now that is high cap is my Ruger P95 with several 15 and 17 round mags. A little big to carry in summer clothes, although I've done it plenty of times. The Bersa is much smaller and is 13+1 of 9mm. Not much difference in capacity relative to the difference in size. I sold my 1911 (8+1) and now have a G36 (6+1), but I just got it and have only put 100 rounds through it and haven't got it dialed in yet. I think I'll really like it once I get some trigger time behind it. I'm also taking my home defense Mossberg 500 12ga pump shotgun with folding stock, side saddle shell holder, and 150 lumen weapon mounted light with strobe or constant beam. If at home, nothing beats a 12 ga. If I could just figure out a way to carry it concealed in shorts and a t-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    Great advice. I would also take a full sized gun as well. A full sized XD40 would compliment the subcompact XD nicely.
    I do have one full size 12+1 magazine with the grip boot for my XD40sc. It converts it to a full size capacity with a short barrel. I carry it sometimes as my extra mag and lots of times after I get home I swap out to the higher cap mag.

Sponsored Links