Got the itch for a new gun: CM9, P238, BG380, LCP - Page 2

Got the itch for a new gun: CM9, P238, BG380, LCP

This is a discussion on Got the itch for a new gun: CM9, P238, BG380, LCP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ugh... you need to do some research and not just post what you hear. You could say Crossbreed is a member of a religious cult, ...

View Poll Results: Which gun to buy?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ruger LCP $279 new

12 19.35%
  • Sig P238 $459 new

10 16.13%
  • S&W BG380 $339 new

3 4.84%
  • Kahr CM9 $429 new

26 41.94%
  • Kahr CM9 $349 used

11 17.74%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Got the itch for a new gun: CM9, P238, BG380, LCP

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Ugh... you need to do some research and not just post what you hear.

You could say Crossbreed is a member of a religious cult, nobody seems to stop buying their stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by 5thMarines View Post
    Well Kahr Arms is out no matter how you look at it , the company is financed by the Moonies , religious cult!!

Well Kahr Arms is out no matter how you look at it , the company is financed by the Moonies , religious cult!!
    must be why they shoot so well....each Kahr must be blessed by the Moonies as they leave the factory.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    See my notes in your quote in bold to set them apart. For your stated mission profile, I would save the $$$ and go with the LCP.

Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    I got the itch for a new handgun but I don't know what to buy. Right now I carry a Glock 19, 1911 and pocket carry a Jframe 642. I want something that is noticably easier to conceal than the 642 even though I rarely have a problem concealing it.

If I were mesh shorts, tighter fitting jeans, or baggy sweatpants, the 642 is to big and heavy for these applications.

I know the LCP would fit the bill. I like the price but the sights are crappy, most people do not like the trigger, and recoil I heard is a bit harsh.

The LCP works fine - for what it is. Put some primer and then orange day-glo paint on the front sight and that helps a lot. Realize that this is not a range gun adn that you will likely shoot it enough to qualify it for your needs, then occassionally put a few down range. It is not the most pleasant gun to shoot, but it does its primary jobs (concealment and being there when you need it) admirably. I have one and carry it as a BUG frequently. I also have a S&W 642, but it does not hide nearly as easily in my pocket - but then I have rather large thighs relative to my waist size.

Sig 238. Looks and feels awesome. Low recoil. Night sights. A bit pricy though and I probably would prefer DOA for pocket carry but SA is not unfamiliar to me since I am familiar with the 1911.

Sweet little gun, but I could not get around the price. The safety is also a bit of an issue if you have really large hands - it is just hard to hit, not hard to manipulate once you find it. Carry without the safety would be a big no-no in my book.

S&W BG380. Like the look and feel. Price is right. Do not like have a built in laser.

I could go either way on this one, but whe I was looking, I went with the LCP. It just felt a bit better sorted out.

Kahr CM9: Looks nice. DAO with great trigger. Would it really be noticebly lighter or easier to conceal than my S&W 642. 9mm has a bit more stopping power than 380 and is cheaper to shoot.

I am not a Kahr fan, but it is not for reasons of performance of the weapons. I would try this with the gym shorts you are planning to use to see if the weight is too much or if it works. No doubt the 9MM beats the .380 ACP as a round.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Ugh... you need to do some research and not just post what you hear.
    Did the Washington Post retract its 1999 article detailing the link between Kahr Arms and the Unification Church? As far as I have been able to deduce, through research, this connection is valid and Kahr is owned by a South Korean venture with ties to the Moonies. My opinion is based on research, but I am not perfect as a researcher and if I am out of date/wrong, I would like to know. Please provide citations that disprove this if it is not true.

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    It's the owners father, you can't pick your parents.

Posted from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.

How do you know this?? I like to know where my $$ goes.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    It's the owners father, you can't pick your parents.

Posted from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.
    True on both counts, however, look at the money trail. Kahr is partially funded by the business arm of the Unification church. This was published by the Washington Post in 1999. I am not aware of any changes in this arrangement to date.

The Moonies have lost members over this.

i bought the LCP a few years ago and still consider it to be one of my best purchases..its been 100% reliable,very accurate and only weighs 9.4ozs..so light and comfortable you almost forget your carrying it..if you can get one new for $279.00 buy it..

You have the CM9 listed twice...could be an omen. Get the new one.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    A .22lr for pocket carry? I probably would want something with a bit more stopping power even though a well place 22 is deadly. I do own a Ruger MkII pistol but way to big to carry concealed lol
    I have both the LCP, LCR and the P238 but what I really carry the most in my pocket is the Beretta bobcat 22lr. Using stinger 22's which are high velocity and 8 rounds I feel safe enough to get out of any bad situation. I can empty more rounds faster on target than the others. If I were LEO certainly I would want more firepower but that would require carrying a heavier gun.

Thanks for all your advise.

I went with the LCP. Cheaper, smaller, lighter than the rest. I like the CM9 and almost bought the P238 (shoots nice, looks awesome, was the best deal % wise and $ off the list price). Also I am used to pocket carrying the 642 so I feel that the single action with manual safety of the P238 wouldn't be ideal.

In the end I didn't want something that was about the same size as my 642 Jframe. I wanted something I could use those situations where the 642 is too big (I know it is a small gun but there are times when I wish it where smaller or lighter)

Kahr CM9 is next on my list as a deep cover gun.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I don't have the CM9, but I do have the CW9 and it is reliable and accurate for me. I voted for the Moonie gun.
    Glock 34 9mm
    Glock 36 .45acp
    Kahr CW9
    S&W 642-2 .38 +P
    Ruger Mark ii 22/45

So they are financed by a group that believes in a slightly less popular fictional character? :)
    Civil_Response likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lordhamster View Post
    So they are financed by a group that believes in a slightly less popular fictional character? :)
    Not quite. As I understand it, they believe that the Rev. Moon is god. He is not fictional - whether you think he is god or not, he is a real non-fictional character.

Also, as I see it, God is not fictional either. We will all find out in the end which view is accurate.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links