Got the itch for a new gun: CM9, P238, BG380, LCP

This is a discussion on Got the itch for a new gun: CM9, P238, BG380, LCP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got the itch for a new handgun but I don't know what to buy. Right now I carry a Glock 19, 1911 and pocket ...

View Poll Results: Which gun to buy?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ruger LCP $279 new

12 19.35%
  • Sig P238 $459 new

10 16.13%
  • S&W BG380 $339 new

3 4.84%
  • Kahr CM9 $429 new

26 41.94%
  • Kahr CM9 $349 used

11 17.74%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Got the itch for a new gun: CM9, P238, BG380, LCP

I got the itch for a new handgun but I don't know what to buy. Right now I carry a Glock 19, 1911 and pocket carry a Jframe 642. I want something that is noticably easier to conceal than the 642 even though I rarely have a problem concealing it.

If I were mesh shorts, tighter fitting jeans, or baggy sweatpants, the 642 is to big and heavy for these applications.

I know the LCP would fit the bill. I like the price but the sights are crappy, most people do not like the trigger, and recoil I heard is a bit harsh.

Sig 238. Looks and feels awesome. Low recoil. Night sights. A bit pricy though and I probably would prefer DOA for pocket carry but SA is not unfamiliar to me since I am familiar with the 1911.

S&W BG380. Like the look and feel. Price is right. Do not like have a built in laser.

Kahr CM9: Looks nice. DAO with great trigger. Would it really be noticebly lighter or easier to conceal than my S&W 642. 9mm has a bit more stopping power than 380 and is cheaper to shoot.

None of the above, when considering the handguns you already have.

A nice .22 pistol is in order.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    None of the above, when considering the handguns you already have.

A nice .22 pistol is in order.
    A .22lr for pocket carry? I probably would want something with a bit more stopping power even though a well place 22 is deadly. I do own a Ruger MkII pistol but way to big to carry concealed lol
    bmcgilvray likes this.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    CM9 without a doubt!

I have the PM9 and it's a GREAT shooter, not one single failure in around 700 rounds now... solid, tight, comfortable and accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    A .22lr for pocket carry? I probably would want something with a bit more stopping power even though a well place 22 is deadly. I do own a Ruger MkII pistol but way to big to carry concealed lol
    Well, why didn't you say so?! You're fixed up for .22 pistol shooting then.

That changes things a bit.

I've shot all of those except the Smith & Wesson and would probably pick the Kahr out of the bunch as having the most utility. My brother-in-laws CM9 has had trouble with peening on the back of the barrel but Kahr adjusted it.

Have shot the Ruger LCP and my own Kel Tec P3AT side by side. They feel the same. In my view they have less felt recoil than any of several other older and famous .380 pistol designs.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I have the LCP but my brother has the P238 ans the CM9, My favorite to shoot by far is the CM9. It is also very easy to carry; however they are all great guns for their purpose

Of your choices, I pick the CM9, however spend a little extra on the PM9, it's well worth the extra money.
    Civil_Response likes this.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

CM9 all the way - you can easily pocket carry, and 9mm is a better choice than 380. Get a couple extra 7 round mags and you're good to go.

OR you could wait and see if the Beretta Nano is worth the hype. :)

I have had the CM9 for the last 2 months. It is by far my best purchase of the year. I got rid of the BG380 for it. Not that there is anything wrong with the .380 guns but if I can have a 9mm in the same size and relative price I cant justify getting a .380

Kahr gets my vote

I own the LC9 and Kahr.

The Kahr is a well balanced gun (in my hand) and is my "pocket" carry gun of choice. Smooth trigger that's a joy to shoot. Great gun IMO.

Probably the wrong thread to post this in but: I put a total of 21 rounds through the LC9 before the first light strike then 3 more rounds before light strikes put an end to my shooting for the day. Sent it back to Ruger for repair . . . 3 weeks later I got it back. Based on my experience would not recommend the LC9.

CM9 all the way. Just to set the record straight.....a 9mm is TWICE as powerful as a .380, and IMO and a lot of others should never be relied upon as a primary concealed carry pistol....BUG only. And when you back is against the wall, it really makes no sense to have a gun half as powerful as a CM9 even as a BUG. I carry a Keltec PF-9 or CM9 as a BUG to my Glock 19 or Glock 26.....my life is worth more than simple convenience. Let the Mousegun lovers tirade begin.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Welp,I did'nt vote because them choices are not "itches",their RASHES,and you need therapy only another Glock can give,take a G26,33 round mag,couple boxes of ammo to the range,and PM me in the morning!

Well you have a 19 so if you are wanting something smaller how about a 26. I know that its not the size of a j frame or any of the other choices but I dont find one hard at all to conceal on most days. A beneifit would be you are accustom to the Glock and your mags would interchange. However if pocket carry is your concern. I really like my CM9 for that task. Though rarely there are days I have to tuck in my shirt. There are days when pocket carry shines. Those days I have my CM9 its accurate and carries 7 rounds and I find recoils less to me than my 642 that I had. Also 9mm is cheaper to shoot so I can afford to practice a little more.

Well Kahr Arms is out no matter how you look at it , the company is financed by the Moonies , religious cult!!

VIP Member
    Get the Moonie gun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links