CZ 75 B vs. CZ SP01 Shadow vs. Colt Commander

This is a discussion on CZ 75 B vs. CZ SP01 Shadow vs. Colt Commander within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Shot the CZ 75 B and absolutely love it! A friend of mine recommended the CZ SP01 Shadow as a better sport or range gun. ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By glockman10mm

Thread: CZ 75 B vs. CZ SP01 Shadow vs. Colt Commander

Shot the CZ 75 B and absolutely love it! A friend of mine recommended the CZ SP01 Shadow as a better sport or range gun. I'm primarily looking for another concealment defense gun, but would also like to have fun at the range.

I'm told the CZ 75 B and CZ SP01 are very similar with the SP01 having night sights and being a little heavier. Thoughts between these three?

go with any of the CZ line, you will not be disappointed. One word of warning though, ask anyone and they will confirm that they seem to multiply like rabbits in the safe.

VIP Member
    CZ's are hard to beat. The CZ75 has many different variations to it. From DA/SA, to SAO to Decocker models in full size guns. Drop down to compact (4" barrel) you have DA/SA or Decocker models available. DA/SA and Decocker available in their sub-compact models. They aren't light guns, but they are built tough.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The CZ 75 is probably one of the best in the world. Can't go wrong there.
    The Colt Commander is also the best of it's breed.

It all comes down to what you place value on in your carry gun. The CZ offers hi cap 9mm with DA or SA carry option, and the Colt is a bone crushing 45 with 7 or 8 shots with a great SA only trigger.
    There really is no best, just preference.
    RoadRunner71 and OD* like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I wouldnt ordinarily go against a Colt , but the CZ-75 is a delight to shoot and is worthy of having , not sure about sp01 , but the cz75 is tried and true!

VIP Member
    I own and shoot 2 of the 3 guns listed. The only one I do not have experience with is the SP01. I will just say that between the two CZs, the SP01 is almost a 1/2" longer in the grip, which could make carrying it a bit more work. Also, the night sights are nice, but you can put them on the 75B and still come out cheaper than the SP01.

To decide between the three is a matter of preference as stated before. The easiest to carry would likely be the Colt due to its dimensions. With that said, I prefer the CZ75B (actually, mine is the SAO version). I have had bad luck with 1911s and have relegated mine to range duty only. I do not say that to deter you from the Colt, just explaining my preference.

One other thing to keep in mind is the cost of magazines. The CZs will be around half again as much as the Colt mags. Just food for thought.

Good luck with your decision.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    I own and shoot 2 of the 3 guns listed. The only one I do not have experience with is the SP01. I will just say that between the two CZs, the SP01 is almost a 1/2" longer in the grip, which could make carrying it a bit more work. Also, the night sights are nice, but you can put them on the 75B and still come out cheaper than the SP01.

To decide between the three is a matter of preference as stated before. The easiest to carry would likely be the Colt due to its dimensions. With that said, I prefer the CZ75B (actually, mine is the SAO version). I have had bad luck with 1911s and have relegated mine to range duty only. I do not say that to deter you from the Colt, just explaining my preference.

One other thing to keep in mind is the cost of magazines. The CZs will be around half again as much as the Colt mags. Just food for thought.

Good luck with your decision.
    Actually MecGar magazines are about the same rice as McCormick magazines. Fit perfectly and function 100%. I read that MecGar manufactured CZ magazines, but could never find a source to back it up. I use them in my P-01 and P-06 both.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Links