DA vs SA trigger pulls for CCW

This is a discussion on DA vs SA trigger pulls for CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, I'm wondering about the smoothness/ease of operation of a SA trigger (Sig P238, Kimber Solo) vs a DA trigger (LC9, etc). Which one ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: DA vs SA trigger pulls for CCW

Hey guys,

I'm wondering about the smoothness/ease of operation of a SA trigger (Sig P238, Kimber Solo) vs a DA trigger (LC9, etc). Which one will feel easier to pull, and more natural?

I was able to find this, but I wanted some further input, from you experience shooters!

SA (Colt 1911), the shooter physically operates the slide to chamber a round and cock the hammer. When the trigger is pulled the gun fires and the recoil ejects the spent round and chambers a new round and cocks the hammer. The shooter only has to pull the trigger to release the hammer.

DAO (gun with no decocker or safety), shooter physically operates the slide to chamber a round. This action does not cock the hammer. Shooter must pull the trigger to cock and release the hammer. The recoil ejects the spent round and chambers the next round. It does not cock the hammer and the shooter must again pull the trigger to cock and release the hammer. Basically it acts like a revolver that rotates the cylinder automatically rather than by the action of pulling the trigger.

Another personal preference. SA is usually much shorter & I shoot them better... but that is me. That said, I carry a Kahr CM9, DA.

VIP Member
    SA triggers are almost always lighter and shorter than DA triggers, simply because an SA trigger is only releasing a sear whereas a DA trigger is cocking the hammer AND releasing the sear. There really is no direct comparison - they are pretty different in terms of "feel."

Keep in mind also that many handguns are DA/SA, in that the first trigger pull cocks and releases the hammer, but the action of the slide cocks the hammer for subsequent shots, turnin the pistol from that point on into an SA system. However, the pull on a DA/SA will still (usually) be longer, if not heavier, than the pull on a "pure" SA handgun.

As stated, it is personal preference, though most "target" guns have light, short triggers in order to allow for the most deliberate trigger manipulation. "Combat" handguns in DA/SA and DAO give up some of that fine trigger control for the inherent safety advantages of a longer, heavier trigger pull. Try both as often as possible, consider all the implications of the system, and practice practice practice!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    I have an SA only and a DA/SA. The SA only trigger is much better, but the DA/SA one has a decent
    pull for the first shot and I like the safety value of that feature. It is striker fired and the striker can be set with only a very light and short pull on the slide. It is best of both worlds for me; YMMV.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I have a couple of piddly DAO guns, a S&W Model 642 and a Kel Tec P3AT but do my best to never carry them. I don't believe in DAO triggers. I really like the single action triggers on semi-autos and can manage their safeties and I prefer hammer spurs on my revolvers and the choices they afford.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Para offers the LDA system, Light Double Action. I own a Para Carry Nine and when I first dry fired it I was certain that something this smooth would never fire, but fire it did. It is considered a DAO pistol but I have yet to find anything that is that smooth.

In most cases SA or striker fired pistols will ussually have better triggers than DAO pistols making them easier to fire and more accurate than their DAO counterparts with the exception noted above.

"A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Aren't Springfield XD pistols technically a single action gun?

I myself prefer Glock with their safe action triggers.

I'm still adjusting to the longer DA trigger pull on my .357 revolver compared to the SA .44 mag. The difference is noticeable. I need to practice more after going from SA to DA. I imagine going the other direction wouldn't be all that much of an adjustment.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    Aren't Springfield XD pistols technically a single action gun?

I myself prefer Glock with their safe action triggers.
    Yes.

To the OP, check out these two threads:

SA, DA, DAO, DAK, SAO, Safe-Action, Ultra-Safe, LEM, SRT, mag safeties – huh?

Trigger characteristics and what they mean in a SD gun...
    Last edited by JD; October 27th, 2011 at 12:53 PM.
    shooterX likes this.

I actually have an XD40, but the lack of manual safety makes a little nervous.

RKM
    I prefer DAO/striker fired pistols. At the most DA/SA. I can't do a SA gun like a 1911 because of the thumb safety. I don't trust myself to disengage it under stress.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post
    I actually have an XD40, but the lack of manual safety makes a little nervous.
    What do you call that bumpy thingy on the backstrap?

What Bufford said... I have pistols of both designs and carry either design. You can learn to shoot both equally well. As to your question of CCW, if I had to pick one or the other, I guess I would lean very slightly toward the DAO/striker-fired because it does have a longer pull and (for my Glocks) you don't have to deal with a safety. Training and muscle memory will take care of these issues, though. So, back to the start, go with what works best for you.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

JD the sa-da-dak-sao...etc... link seems to be broken.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    JD the sa-da-dak-sao...etc... link seems to be broken.
    OK, that was odd...should be fixed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links