Anyone here own/carry a Bond Arms Derringer?

This is a discussion on Anyone here own/carry a Bond Arms Derringer? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bond Arms Derringers | The Smallest Most Powerful Personal Protection You Can Carry I'm thinking about the snake slayer for when in the woods and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Anyone here own/carry a Bond Arms Derringer?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Bond Arms Derringers | The Smallest Most Powerful Personal Protection You Can Carry

I'm thinking about the snake slayer for when in the woods and for times I find I can only carry something small in the pocket.

Anyone here own/carry one?

Comments, opinions?
    For God, Family and Country!

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Should have done a search before my post. Found info that way. If any new owners out there want to post I'd like to see your input anyway.
    For God, Family and Country!

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    the thing weighs more and ain't much smaller than a S&W 637. If it's a basic woods gun, carry 2 CCI shot shells ahead of three JSP +P's. Much more versatile, and safer to carry/handle.

edit to add... I'm not an owner, but have handled the Bond two banger a time or two at the range.

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    a good friend of mine had one, so i shot it a few times. i thought the trigger was awful. really i would prefer a snub nosed revolver, such as a chiefs special or detective special or their modern counterparts. about the same size (well almost) but much more gun. i am not sure why derringers have survived, although some people will say the same about revolvers i assume! to each his own of course, and they are cool. but are they the best choice for any specific task? i don't know.
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

jyo

Bond

My shooting buddy had a Bond "Texas Defender" 45 ACP in stainless---what a lump! Heavy, trigger was like 30+ lbs and often would not fire second shot, sights were useless (not that anyone would use them), poor grip and just plan unreliable pistol. He called Bond Arms and they arranged to send new trigger parts to our gunsmith---this reduced the trigger pull to around 18-20 lbs (!) These things may look cool, but they are about the worst firearm you can buy.

If u want a derringer get a Davis one in 38. Then u will have a derringer that is light, shoots a decent round flat easy to carry and u want have much money in it. The one ur talking abt is very well made but is so heavy. A derringer to Me is very pretty to behold kinda like a western six shooter or a double barrel shotgun. but myself I would get a better choice like a revolver or auto. But they r fun to look at. I like them too just not to carry.

I owned one for awhile several years ago, and would echo everyone's comments about the trigger pull and add these things are truly a "belly gun" in a SD situation, because if you don't jam it into the bad guys belly when you pull the trigger, you're probably not going to hit him. Mine was .38 spl and I never tried a snake round through it so have no idea of its effectiveness there, but I'd stay away unless your just adding to a collection/want a conversation piece, something like that. They are a cool looking gun and I would have kept mine if I could afford to have a gun merely as a conversation piece, but I traded it for something functional.

Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Bond Arms Derringers | The Smallest Most Powerful Personal Protection You Can Carry

I'm thinking about the snake slayer for when in the woods and for times I find I can only carry something small in the pocket.

Anyone here own/carry one?

Comments, opinions?
    Own? Yes. Carry? No.
    First, the good. It's very, very well made. I have the Snakeslayer IV.
    The downside? It's heavy as a brick, forget your pocket. It's S/A only, so you cock the hammer to fire. It has a safety, but I wouldn't carry it that way. A sideways push on the safety releases it.
    Also, with buckshot, the recoil is substantial. The trigger guard actually extends in front of your second finger, and when fired that part smacks your finger big time.
    It might be fun with birdshot.

If you were to carry it, check out the "BAD" holster they sell. It carries horizontally, and fastens with a Velcro flap. Very cool. Looks like it would fasten to a seat belt perfectly.
    I got it as a bedroom gun or car gun, and it is well suited to those duties.

Once you have one, you can buy different barrels. I may convert mine to a 9mm. or .22 magnum.
    One screw removes the barrel.

nicely made 2-shot brick. There are much better carry options.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I just got one and do not care for it. You grip it high enough for a good hold, and the trigger is a bear. Hold it low enough to get a good trigger pull, and recoil moves the pistol in the hand badly.

It is neat looking, but otherwise not for me. Mine will go away very soon.
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Carrying a firearm for "snake defense" is about useless. The largest rattlesnake can only strike about 3 feet, far less than the distance you're gonna jump when you see it. Oh, you didn't see it? Then the gun wouldn't have helped to begin with. By the time you can draw and fire your "snake gun" you could have stepped away and left the snake to its own business. A good stick is a far better weapon than snakeshot. The best snake defense is to look before you step (or sit!).
    10thmtn likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

If my memory serves me correctly, it was this forum where "Chaplin Tom" told the story of how a Bond firearm saved his life.
    That's what got me interested in one. Do a search, and see if his life and death story is still there. Chilling.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    If my memory serves me correctly, it was this forum where "Chaplin Tom" told the story of how a Bond firearm saved his life.
    That's what got me interested in one. Do a search, and see if his life and death story is still there. Chilling.
    Can't find it, any more info? I'm interested in hearing his story.
    Spade115 likes this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

I would like to find the story as well. seems intresting.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

I have one, don't carry it, agree with past statements about very hard trigger pull. It is a nicely made item,also their not that cheap.
    " The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links