Defensive Carry banner

Anyone here own/carry a Bond Arms Derringer?

13K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  GunTeacher 
#1 ·
#3 ·
the thing weighs more and ain't much smaller than a S&W 637. If it's a basic woods gun, carry 2 CCI shot shells ahead of three JSP +P's. Much more versatile, and safer to carry/handle.

edit to add... I'm not an owner, but have handled the Bond two banger a time or two at the range.

#18 ·
Did you miss the fact that you have to cock the trigger to shoot it or move the crossbolt off safe? Next time you handle one, check out its safety features. You will find that it is the most safe gun to carry loose in a pocket or bag. Plus it shoots larger calibers. This is coming from someone who mostly carries a snubnose.

#4 ·
a good friend of mine had one, so i shot it a few times. i thought the trigger was awful. really i would prefer a snub nosed revolver, such as a chiefs special or detective special or their modern counterparts. about the same size (well almost) but much more gun. i am not sure why derringers have survived, although some people will say the same about revolvers i assume! to each his own of course, and they are cool. but are they the best choice for any specific task? i don't know.

#5 ·
Bond

My shooting buddy had a Bond "Texas Defender" 45 ACP in stainless---what a lump! Heavy, trigger was like 30+ lbs and often would not fire second shot, sights were useless (not that anyone would use them), poor grip and just plan unreliable pistol. He called Bond Arms and they arranged to send new trigger parts to our gunsmith---this reduced the trigger pull to around 18-20 lbs (!) These things may look cool, but they are about the worst firearm you can buy.

#6 ·
If u want a derringer get a Davis one in 38. Then u will have a derringer that is light, shoots a decent round flat easy to carry and u want have much money in it. The one ur talking abt is very well made but is so heavy. A derringer to Me is very pretty to behold kinda like a western six shooter or a double barrel shotgun. but myself I would get a better choice like a revolver or auto. But they r fun to look at. I like them too just not to carry.

#7 ·
I owned one for awhile several years ago, and would echo everyone's comments about the trigger pull
and add these things are truly a "belly gun" in a SD situation, because if you don't jam it into the bad guys belly when you pull the trigger, you're probably not going to hit him. Mine was .38 spl and I never tried a snake round through it so have no idea of its effectiveness there, but I'd stay away unless your just adding to a collection/want a conversation piece, something like that. They are a cool looking gun and I would have kept mine if I could afford to have a gun merely as a conversation piece, but I traded it for something functional.

#8 ·
Own? Yes. Carry? No.
First, the good. It's very, very well made. I have the Snakeslayer IV.
The downside? It's heavy as a brick, forget your pocket. It's S/A only, so you cock the hammer to fire. It has a safety, but I wouldn't carry it that way. A sideways push on the safety releases it.
Also, with buckshot, the recoil is substantial. The trigger guard actually extends in front of your second finger, and when fired that part smacks your finger big time.
It might be fun with birdshot.

If you were to carry it, check out the "BAD" holster they sell. It carries horizontally, and fastens with a Velcro flap. Very cool. Looks like it would fasten to a seat belt perfectly.
I got it as a bedroom gun or car gun, and it is well suited to those duties.

Once you have one, you can buy different barrels. I may convert mine to a 9mm. or .22 magnum.
One screw removes the barrel.

#10 ·
I just got one and do not care for it. You grip it high enough for a good hold, and the trigger is a bear. Hold it low enough to get a good trigger pull, and recoil moves the pistol in the hand badly.

It is neat looking, but otherwise not for me. Mine will go away very soon.

#11 ·
Carrying a firearm for "snake defense" is about useless. The largest rattlesnake can only strike about 3 feet, far less than the distance you're gonna jump when you see it. Oh, you didn't see it? Then the gun wouldn't have helped to begin with. By the time you can draw and fire your "snake gun" you could have stepped away and left the snake to its own business. A good stick is a far better weapon than snakeshot. The best snake defense is to look before you step (or sit!).

Reactions: 10thmtn
#17 ·
Chaplin Tom was with his wife at a mall, leaving in his truck when he was approached by an armed gunman. The gunman opened the truck door and aimed his weapon at Chaplin Tom. However, Chaplin Tom was carrying a Bond Derringer, and as the gunman opened the door, he simply fired at the attacker, hitting him in the face and neck.
He told the story with care and detail, due to court proceedings, he was asked not to provide some details which I respect.
He took no pride in killing another person, it was him or Tom.

Let me see if I can find the link somewhere, it was one of the most chilling and honest stories I ever heard.

If you are a member of "thehighroad.org" Try a search there.
Chaplin Tom may have been there, but I am no longer welcome there, since I disagreed with a moderator. (In a PM, and he banned me for "suicide by mod") Very cowardly, IMO.

#16 ·
An associate of mine has one in 410 and has offered to let me shoot it; I declined. He jokes that a number of people have taken him up on the offer and he gives them two rounds and they bring one round back. If you truly want a snake gun carry a 4" barrel .357 model 19 S&W loaded with bird shot. That combination will take out a Texas 6' rattlesnake with one shot. But the best advice is be back in camp before twilight as that is when the majority of snakes come out. If you want to carry for the two legged type snakes there are much better options.

#20 ·
I agree with most of the prior posters. I have a Bond. I have it because I can. It's a fetish gun. Also a work of art, and in 300 years they will be worth a bundle. (As scrap steel.). Truly they are beautiful guns and worth owning just for that.

Every gambler needs one up their sleeve.

Beyond that? If I'm car jacked I'm pretty sure my HK45 to the face will get their attention.

Snakes? Trust me, you can't draw, fire and hit it any faster than you can run! Snake in the wild, leave it alone, how'd you like some ***hole to shoot you while sunning in your own yard? Snake in your yard, get a shovel. Snake in the house? Call animal control. :gah:

Seriously though, best snake tool is a stout walking stick. You can whack it out of the way very fast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.