M&P thumb safety adjustment?

This is a discussion on M&P thumb safety adjustment? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just got my new mp9c, 100 flawless rounds later I am VERY happy with the m&p. However, the only thing that bothers me is the ...

Just got my new mp9c, 100 flawless rounds later I am VERY happy with the m&p. However, the only thing that bothers me is the looseness of my thumb safety. Are all m&p thumb safeties this loose, or does this vary between individual guns? Also, can S&W do something to tighten this up? I really love the gun, but I'm thinking of trading it in to just get one with no safety. Thanks.
    Last edited by KSP; October 27th, 2011 at 12:21 AM. Reason: iPhone auto-misspell

Take them off. Call S&W and order the frame plugs to fill the holes that are left. If that's not an option, I think someone here did a quick write up on tightening up the thumb safety on an M&P.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

BK
    For what it's worth, the thumb safety on my 9c is pretty soft as well. Not sure I'd call it loose but I'd definately prefer that it be a little more "positive". I've thought about calling S&W to see if there's a tweak but haven't gotten around to it.

I may eventually remove the safety since those safety levers add some width to the gun but I like having a manual safety and I like the way my thumb rides this one when firing.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    I have the M&P 45 Compact and this is my only complaint about it; the vague thumb safety feel. I've actually discovered that it had come off in the holster more than once.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Sponsor
    The easiest fix is to remove the safety lever. But if you just have to have a thumb safety, you can give it a more positive detent by filing the the notch in the lever just a bit deeper. It doesn't take much and it is a cheap replacement if you do screw it up.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Actually seen these get loose enough to engage as the slide goes into battery on some other officers M&P's"BAD" situation if you don't know that its happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by KSP View Post
    Just got my new mp9c, 100 flawless rounds later I am VERY happy with the m&p. However, the only thing that bothers me is the looseness of my thumb safety. Are all m&p thumb safeties this loose, or does this vary between individual guns? Also, can S&W do something to tighten this up? I really love the gun, but I'm thinking of trading it in to just get one with no safety. Thanks.

+1 on removing the safety and buying the frame plug. I ordered my 9c without the thumb safety.

I took my thumb safety off my 9c and added frame plugs. You can't tell it ever had one. Prior to removal, the safety was very firm though. A lot like my 1911.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    Actually seen these get loose enough to engage as the slide goes into battery on some other officers M&P's"BAD" situation if you don't know that its happening.
    Having taken several M&P's apart I am fairly familiar with them. I am curious how this happened? The safety is below all the internals and you can't even remove it until you pop out a roll pin. From a technical stand point I am very close to calling bullshat on this.

Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

It is fairly simple to increase the pressure needed to move the M&P safety. The thumb safety option is why I purchased my two .40 models and would not have considered the pistol otherwise.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Having taken several M&P's apart I am fairly familiar with them. I am curious how this happened? The safety is below all the internals and you can't even remove it until you pop out a roll pin. From a technical stand point I am very close to calling bullshat on this.
    I could see how it would be easy to bump the safety up while firing with a thumbs high grip... Never had it happen to me but, possible.
    Last edited by luvmy40; October 31st, 2011 at 06:52 PM. Reason: brain fart
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    I could see how it would be easy to bump the safety up while firing with a thumbs high grip... Never had it happen to me but, possible.
    Read the post I responded to, they are two different things.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Links