Do you sell your guns to fund your next purchase? - Page 3

Do you sell your guns to fund your next purchase?

This is a discussion on Do you sell your guns to fund your next purchase? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It seems like letting a pet go, hopefully to a good home in some ways. I do have to remind myself that they are pieces ...

View Poll Results: Would you sell a gun to fund the purchase of another?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, but only if the new purchase fills the role of the weapon being sold

17 14.78%
  • Yes, any time my interests change

30 26.09%
  • Yes, but only if the purpose of that gun is filled by others in my inventory

23 20.00%
  • No, I never sell any guns

36 31.30%
  • Depends, I like to decide after I own both guns

9 7.83%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Do you sell your guns to fund your next purchase?

It seems like letting a pet go, hopefully to a good home in some ways. I do have to remind myself that they are pieces of machinery. For me, S&W 60-7 stainless snubbie .38 sp to finance a Sig p238 that will fit into everyday shorts better. Can say that I will never let my Colt 1911 go tho. That one will go to the kid.

AOK
    I've sold close to a dozen firearms the past four years (all private sales). The reason for selling the firearms varied. Most of my sales was because I realized I didn't really "need" the specific firearm like I thought I did and ended up using the money toward training, ammo, better gear, and minor alterations to my firearms.

VIP Member
    I typically hang on to all my guns unless I sell for an upgrade. I am pretty blessed and can afford what I want. The part that cracks me up is you guys and your Glock's or Shall I say polymers. I love them too, and they are my edc, but they have no soul and can be bought and replaced all day long. What is the regret in selling one when you can pick up another in ten minutes?

What will break your heart is selling something like a nice revolver, German Sig or 1911 that is not made any more. I would call Resupt a real genius (sarcastic) if he they were not Kimbers he sold off for Glocks.
    Last edited by C hawk Glock; October 29th, 2011 at 01:47 PM.
    Hulley and SHTFGearLLC like this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Long story short: If you're going to sell/trade a gun for another, make sure you have a good reason why and then do your homework.

Short story long, see below:
    The first gun I bought for myself was a Sig P232. It was my EDC and it served me faithfully for 10 years. Then two things happened. 1) After talking to some people whose opinions I value, I decided that I needed to carry a larger caliber in my EDC. 2) I had purchased a P238 for my wife (before making the caliber decision) and realized it made a much better BUG then the P232.

I did some research and decided that I wanted a .40 or a .45. I also researched some of the various platforms that were available. Then, I went to a gun store in Dallas while visiting my parents that had over 80 guns available for rent and and picked three of each caliber and fired 50 rounds or so through each to get an idea of what I liked. I expected to land on a Sig, but to my surprise, I ended up finding that my wife and I both shot the Glock better.

Having done my homework on what I wanted and also on what my P232 was worth, I took it to a gun show and shopped around until I got a what I felt was a fair trade for my Sig on a Gen4 Glock 22. Since then, I've also purchased a Gen4 Glock 23 (yesterday), and will probably add a Gen4 Glock 27 to the family for Christmas. After that, I'll probably start on building up a family of 9mm's and/or .45's, with the occasional 10mm mixed in.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I typically hang on to all my guns unless I sell for an upgrade. I am pretty blessed and can afford what I want. The part that cracks me up is you guys and your Glock's or Shall I say polymers. I love them too, and they are my edc, but they have no soul and can be bought and replaced all day long. What is the regret in selling one when you can pick up another in ten minutes?

What will break your heart is selling something like a nice revolver, German Sig or 1911 that is not made any more. I would call Resupt a real genius (sarcastic) if he they were not Kimbers he sold off for Glocks.
    This is exactly what my frame of mind is. Polymer guns to me are work tools that I need them to fill a specific roll. I have a w.german made P225 that shoots/feels better than anything else I have but I wouldnt carry it do to weight and limited capacity, but man do I love that gun. I have my work tools, now I'm pretty much only buying guns that i plan to keep for a long time, however there are a few neat guns I'd like to have that are plastic.
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post

That is along the same thing I was thinking. These guns are tools and are pretty easily replaceable. I do have a few guns that I have a more emotional connection to for some reason or another. An old S&W J frame 22 mag given to me by my aunt, my very first .22 (browning lever action). and my first .22 pistol. Ruger Mark II government target model. But I don't think I would have much heartache if I sold my XDm, given that replacement is easy.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Its rare that I do it but I just sold my 357mag to fund my S&W SD9
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I have never been attached enough to a gun to not let it go. There are some I prize above others, but even they are in danger of becoming orphans.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    I buy and sell guns fairly often, probably two or three times a year. If it's a gun I use often then I won't sell it but if it's just a safe queen I don't see a problem with it. I'm not a collector so all of my guns were bought with an intended use in mind. If another gun fills that same role or works better for me then I will sell the one I no longer need.

My #1 rule though is that I must break even or make money when I sell/trade. I usually try to shop hard for a good price when I buy so that when i sell I almost always get back more than what I spent in the first place. Patience is the key when selling if you want to make a little money.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I've sold guns in the past (lots) but have lived by the "if it works don't sale it." motto for 10 years or so...but I have a mini 14 right now I don't have any use for I'm seriously considering ditching it for my next (and first) compact 40. I also have a pt145 that has feed issues that may go down the road instead of the mini.

Some times I have to sell one of my guns to get one that I want more. It is mostly a money thing. Not often do I have a gun that I don't like.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I replied that I "never" sell my guns because I did that once and regret that decision. I traded a 20 gauge Kassner double barrel shotgun for my S&W model 19. I love the S&W but regret losing the shotgun. It was a sweet gun. I doubt I ever see the like again.
    "Only the Sith deal in absolutes."

"My dog is smarter than your honor student."

I've done it before, but I try not to anymore. I did sell one gun to a buddy that was in need of a decent gun for defense, and that I surely don't regret at all, but for the most part I hold on to what I have and just research instead of buying the first shiny toy I lay eyes on, which is what I used to do and let me just say to my old self for that.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links