Do you sell your guns to fund your next purchase?

This is a discussion on Do you sell your guns to fund your next purchase? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I typically do not sell any of my firearms to provide money for my next gun obsession, however recently I've been contemplating it because both ...

View Poll Results: Would you sell a gun to fund the purchase of another?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, but only if the new purchase fills the role of the weapon being sold

17 14.78%
  • Yes, any time my interests change

30 26.09%
  • Yes, but only if the purpose of that gun is filled by others in my inventory

23 20.00%
  • No, I never sell any guns

36 31.30%
  • Depends, I like to decide after I own both guns

9 7.83%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Do you sell your guns to fund your next purchase?

Sponsor

Do you sell your guns to fund your next purchase?

I typically do not sell any of my firearms to provide money for my next gun obsession, however recently I've been contemplating it because both firearms will fill the same role. I did the poll mainly out of curiosity but I am wondering what you would do in my case.

I have an XDm 9mm (full size) but I've since grown to love Glocks and really want a Glock 17. For a long time I was firmly against selling any of my firearms because I've heard so many stories of people saying "Man, I wish I hadn't sold that gun". Often times they let a really sweet piece go to fulfill and immediate want or fad and later regretted it. The first gun I ever sold was a DPMS 308, I initially planned on keeping it when I bought my AR-15 but after I got my AR-15 I realized that I liked it so much better that I would literally never choose the LR-308 over the AR-15 when heading to the range, or for a tactical situation for that matter (higher recoil, heavier weapon, lower mag capacity, and ammunition cost). For this reason I sold it to fund another weapon.
    I'm now thinking about doing the same thing with my XDm. What are your thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

I've done it before, some I've regretted, but those have taught me what I really want. I don't do it anymore unless it's a gun that I dislike for some reason and simply never use. I've really only got 1 more "want" but all my weapons are "keepers" now, so if I really want that S&W wheelgun, I'll just have to find some other way to pay for it.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Cool

Yes.... I am getting ready to sell/trade a Diamondback .380 for a S&W 638.

They both fill the roll of BUG so it is a wash.

As I get older I foresee selling a few of my long time keepers not for another gun but to thin out the herd.

There are a few like my Hi-Power , SP-101 and Glock-21 that will be with me until the end.

photo.jpgphoto.jpgphoto.jpg

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

People do sell guns to finance new purchases. People do all sorts of weird things that are difficult to understand.

If I have an extra gun, I find a spot for it. Depending on what happens, you might be real glad to have an extra. Might be useful for arming an companion.

Thing is, for me anyway, I don't run out like some goombah buying every shiny object in a pawnshop window. If I need a gun, I start doing research. First I find a range of them in the category I need to fill, then I narrow that down, then I start shopping and saving up for the purchase and so forth. Then there's testing them, test shooting and range proofing. And then there's the range time you put in, getting familiar with it, learning to do the cleaning and maintenance, and getting holsters for various carry options, ammo carry options, etc.

So maybe you got a full size 9mm and now found a new one you want. OK. Then find a good storage spot in the den for the old one and put the new one into rotation. You now have more defense options.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I don't sell my guns except in very rare occasions.
    Nevada CFP
    Utah CFP

No. I've done that when I was younger and poorer and made a few very foolish moves which shall not be mentioned on this forum. At this time I don't have anything I would be willing to part with anyway.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I traded in to try to get a better gun for the same purpose. I had an XDM SC and traded it for a SIG P239 (reason: too heavy + moving away from .40 caliber). Then I traded my SIG P239 for a Glock 26 (Handle too long/height/hard to conceal). Now I am happy with my Glock 26 and I am not planning on ever trading. For home defense I traded my XDM 4.5 9mm for a Glock 29SF 10mm (reason: more fire power for HD), I am happy as a clam with both Glocks. In all cases I liked all my previous guns, but the new ones serve the same purpose better.
    Philly Boy likes this.

Yes, I do. But none of the poll questions really work with my thinking.

Come to think of it, I don't really work with my thinking either
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    I would have voted for "only if I really don't like the gun I am selling/trading." I have only traded 1 handgun and it was because I really disliked it after shooting it. I bought it from a friend who needed the funds, but it did not really fit my hand. It was too big for a BUG and too small for an EDC because of the way it fit my hand. I traded it for a real BUG - LCP. Generally, I save up for what I want and keep what I have.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

It's the "Black Hole of Calcutta" for firearms around here so the vote is "no."

The few I've parted with in bygone times are still mourned as they were thoughtfully acquired and regretfully divested. I've not had to do that in recent years.
    Gunnutty likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I buy guns to keep them. But for a Glock model that you don't already have...dump the XD. But I'm biased having picked up a G17 last week and absolutely loving it.
    004.JPG

Yeah, I'm kind of an enabler.

Glock Certified Armorer

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I don't have that many guns and right now I'm more in "collection" mode. The ones that I have right now are for different purposes and different reasons so it would make no sense to sell one to either replace it (and loose my butt on trade-in) with one if its own kind or to replace it for a type that I already have, etc. I'm not going to trade my shotty off, for example, to get another shotty and I'm not trading my shotty off for a pistol, etc.

Right now, it looks like my next purchase will either be an AR or a BUG; neither of which do I have now.

I got into guns about 5 yrs ago. I bought every gun that I could make an excuse to own! Now that I'm a lttile more expeirenced and have a much better idea of what I want in a firearm and the role that I need it for I've sold those spurr of the moment guns. I regretted selling my FNP-40 but none of the others.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

I've sold a few when I needed the money and others when I just wasn't into them anymore. I only regret 2, my 5906 and my K31

I'm not quick to sell anything. I have had some changes in taste/platforms, and in that case I have sold one platform to invest in another.
    Got rid of my Kimbers to invest in Glocks.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links