Carry gun ideas for my Wife, caliber decision

This is a discussion on Carry gun ideas for my Wife, caliber decision within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yeah but Most ppl know a .380 meant to be a .380 ACP and 9mm is 9x19. Most will post they are using 9x25 if ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Carry gun ideas for my Wife, caliber decision

Yeah but Most ppl know a .380 meant to be a .380 ACP and 9mm is 9x19. Most will post they are using 9x25 if they are. When ppl are saying .40 they don't mean 10mm.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

With all respect, it sounds like your wife would really benefit from some proper handgun training. The NRA has a program for new lady shooters called "Women On Target" which is excellent.
    ( I know this because my wife has helped teach several of these ).

Many gunshops also offer handgun courses taught by qualified instructors -- basic, intermediate, etc.

This should be your first move, IMHO.

Good luck to both of you.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Thanks. Yeah, she does need some training. I'm self taught and would like to go through some professional training myself.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kaboomkaboom View Post
    Just a pet peeve of my, and a "short" diversion off topic, but some posts on this subject and others always comparing the "9mm" to ".380"...The .380 IS 9mm...
    ...I know,I know...no one else cares and everyone knows what one means when they say "9MM"...! But I do wish people would refer to the "9mm" as the 9mm 9x19, or 9mm Parabellum or 9mm Luger...
    Why?

If "everyone knows what one means when they say "9MM"", what does it matter? I've never once questioned, when someone refers to "9mm", do they really mean .380? or 9mm Makarov? or 9mm Largo? Likewise, when someone refers to a ".38", I have no doubt (unless the context suggests otherwise) that they mean ".38 Special". Sure, they could be talking about a .38 Long Colt, .38 Short Colt, a .38 S&W, a .38 Super or a .38-200, but if they are, it's usually going to be pretty obvious.

If you're riding along & the driver says he needs to stop for "gas", do you let it bother you that what he really needs is not "gas", but rather "gasoline"?

Just sayin'...

Regards,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Why?

If "everyone knows what one means when they say "9MM"", what does it matter? I've never once questioned, when someone refers to "9mm", do they really mean .380? or 9mm Makarov? or 9mm Largo? Likewise, when someone refers to a ".38", I have no doubt (unless the context suggests otherwise) that they mean ".38 Special". Sure, they could be talking about a .38 Long Colt, .38 Short Colt, a .38 S&W, a .38 Super or a .38-200, but if they are, it's usually going to be pretty obvious.

If you're riding along & the driver says he needs to stop for "gas", do you let it bother you that what he really needs is not "gas", but rather "gasoline"?

Just sayin'...

Regards,
    Jim

WHY? You asked? BECAUSE AS I SAID, It's a pet peeve...they don't HAVE to have a reason for existing....If it was a pet peeve of mine, then yes, it would bother me if someone said gas rather than gasoline....but that isn't a pet peeve of mine...
    pet peeves, they don't HAVE to have a reason for existing....There need be no other reason for a pet peeve to exist other than it is something that one considers an annoyance or complaint.... everyone has their pet peeves...the 9x19 vs the .380 handles is one of mine... just sayin'.... ;)

Regards, boomboom

Does that mean we have to care or respect your pet peeve? My pet peeve is people that don't send me free guns and ammo. This one really pisses me off!
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

My "chime in" time.

The first carry handgun my wife wanted was the Ruger LCP, a small .380 acp pistol. It could be a bugger to shoot and is very similar to the Kel-Tec P3AT. She liked it, that is until she discovered the Ruger LCR.

She had been wanting one to compliment her LCP so I finally got her one in .357 Magnum. She handled it like a pro, even shooting a couple of .357 rounds and many .38spl ones at the range. The LCR in my opinion is one of the best revolvers out there. So if you want to add a bit more to the firearm budget, the LCR isn't cheap, you may want to look into one of those. You can get the speed loaders to help facilitate a quick reload too.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

She ended up getting what she wanted, the Bersa Thunder. Stopped by the range to test it out. So far she likes the way it feels and the noise and recoil is manageable. At least it's better than her P22 for carry. I'm sticking to my .40 and .357 SIG :)

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Glock 26 or 19 or G-30 or 36 ! People think because the 45 acp is big that it kicks hard, in actuality it's softer than some 9mm loads. It's loaded to a lower pressure and has more of a push than a snap ! Let her try a 45 at the range and see if she likes it, you may be surprised ! Let her try a 9mm too and compare both.
    I like 380's and wouldn't go lower than that. Even the 380 is known to be inadequate at times when a big adversary is invloved. If she goes with 380, practice head shots !
    A headshot is a guaranteed knockdown with any caliber just about.

Outlaw Guns and Only Outlaws Will Have Guns !!

[QUOTE=Aaron1100us;2074047]She ended up getting what she wanted, the Bersa Thunder. Stopped by the range to test it out. So far she likes the way it feels and the noise and recoil is manageable. At least it's better than her P22 for carry. I'm sticking to my .40 and .357 SIG :)

This is all that matters. It don't matter who you are it all depends on how a gun fits you and if you like it, not if someone else likes it or not. My wife loves her S&W 642 with laser grips, I tried to talk her out of it but it is what she wanted. She doesn't mind the recoil, it fits her hands perfectly. She has others but the 642 is her favorite handgun, she can put 5rds of her carry ammo into 1.75 inches at 15 feet with it slow fire and 5 inches at 15 feet as fast as she can pull the trigger.

Nix
    Quote Originally Posted by kaboomkaboom View Post
    WHY? You asked? BECAUSE AS I SAID, It's a pet peeve...they don't HAVE to have a reason for existing....If it was a pet peeve of mine, then yes, it would bother me if someone said gas rather than gasoline....but that isn't a pet peeve of mine...
    pet peeves, they don't HAVE to have a reason for existing....There need be no other reason for a pet peeve to exist other than it is something that one considers an annoyance or complaint.... everyone has their pet peeves...the 9x19 vs the .380 handles is one of mine... just sayin'.... ;)

Regards, boomboom
    LOL. I love it. I like people to be precise with their language as well. Bit of a pet peeve for me I suppose. I'm still a bit young for the role, but I'm very much looking forward to being a curmudgeon and berating people who transgress my pet peeves. Well done.

In re the OP's question, I have seen many women learn to shoot and enjoy shooting the 9mm Beretta M9....ehr, 9mm Parabellum. But I'm glad to see she found a handgun she likes.

Quote Originally Posted by yingxuy View Post
    You might encourage her to try some 0.380 trumpet and 9 mm and explained that she and other advantages, but I hate to see her carrying a .22 caliber can be the case, but in the end the book because, like the parameters of any of this.
    You sure about that?
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

^^^^^
    lmao
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links