Ruger LC9 vs Glock 26... Carrying

This is a discussion on Ruger LC9 vs Glock 26... Carrying within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Would somebody PLEASE tell me what the problem is with the safety features on the LC9? If you don't like them, DON'T use them! It's ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Ruger LC9 vs Glock 26... Carrying

Would somebody PLEASE tell me what the problem is with the safety features on the LC9? If you don't like them, DON'T use them! It's a very good EDC with 9mm power and has more in the mag than many other small 9mm's. I just don't get it--- don't mean to start " back & forth", but as a relative newbie to handguns, it confuses me!
    mr.stuart likes this.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I have both.I can pocket carry either,but the LC9 is the winner for comfort.I find the Glock more accurate at 50',but really,self defense is most likely to be up close.
    Philly Boy and Richard58 like this.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

P.S. I can see where where the mag safety could be a problem, but what about the other two? Where's the problem there?
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Probably about 4 months ago my LC9 became my EDC. I love the gun and carry it in a High Noon Down Under. It is just too comfortable for me not to love. After the first couple minutes of putting the gun on, I forget it is there until I go to bed.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

^^ Like the Down under??

KDV
    Love the LC9!!

I'm still waiting on my CCDW so I only carry around the house and to the car and back. I like to carry 11 o'clock and it's very comfy.

I don't care for the mag safety, but I like the manual one. I keep the manual safety on and have no problem turning it off while practicing dry-fire & live-fire draws.

I'm not a Glock owner ATM, but I'm hoping Santa will bring me a G19 for Christmas.
    The perpetual changes which have been rung upon the wealthy, the well-born, and the great, have been such as to inspire the disgust of all sensible men.
    Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers No. 85

BTW, anyone wanting to rid the LC9 of that " magazine disconnect" can google it under ( LC9 magazine disconnect removal )
    There is a good 19 minute video/tutorial which covers it. Note: when you get to the point of using a screwdriver to remove it..do just that. It is installed in grooves and will take the torque to get it out, otherwise you will probably have to remove the trigger pin/trigger group and it will slide out. I did not, and followed the video and had no problem and damaged nothing in the process. It will take about half the time as the video to actually do it.
    I am not recommending this, just pointing it out for those who like to stack all odds in their favor. For all lawyers out there who take offense at this, call MY lawyer!
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Quote Originally Posted by ironmike86 View Post
    ^^ Like the Down under??
    I like it a lot. It has been serving me well. Here are some pics I took of the holster and gun that I took the day the holster came in. Sorry I do not have any recent pics showing the holster worn in but it has held up very well so far.

"He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

what do you call a Ruger LC9 with a ggggreat trigger, no loaded chamber indicator, no manual safety, and no magazine disconnect?

A Kahr CM9

Philly Boy and sd976 like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

los

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

This is a comfortable rig I enjoy wearing all day.

[IMG][/IMG]

I have the G26. Carry in a Remora with no issuess.
    A little bulky perhaps. It's a Glock.
    It's all about personal preferences.
    I like 10+1 vs 7+1.
    The Gen4 26 fits my hand well. Extended mag release is a little more ergonomic the my Gen 3 22.
    If I am going to reduce round capacity, I am going up in caliber.
    Philly Boy likes this.

RKM
    When it comes to sub-compact, pocket carry-able 9mm's, I think the Kahr PM9/CM9 is the winner. While I'm a Glock fan, the G26 is chunky for it's size. Still a great carry option. The LC9, I have no experience with. I had a Kahr Mk40. It was a fantastic little gun, but too heavy for its size. I sold it awhile ago. Had I had enough money to buy a CM9 recently, I would have in a second. Instead I bought a j-frame (which I LOVE for pocket carry, looks "big", but somehow, it just works). When it comes to 9mm's, the CM9 is fantastic.

I'd like to get another Kahr someday. Though, I think the full sized Kahr's look weird. So if I get another Kahr, it's probably going to be a PM9.

The issue with the safety on the LC9, if you don't like it, don't use it. I hate carry guns with safeties. I absolutely love the 1911 platform. Why don't I carry one? Thumb safety (and they're heavy). My personal requirements for a carry gun are DAO/striker-fired, or DA/SA. Much prefer a good DAO/striker-fired though.

The loaded chamber indicator and safety are things "new" gun owners and carriers look for. Most people are apprehensive carrying a loaded gun because they're not comfortable. Safeties ease their mind. Carrying a handgun with a loaded chamber with no safety to some people (mainly new carriers) is like a ticking time-bomb. Of course we know this is NOT true at all. Gun doesn't just "go off". That's why we have a thread about carrying a loaded chamber or not every week. I think the LC9 is aimed towards people just getting into carrying. It's small, easy to carry, affordable caliber and all the safety features that even an anti would approve of.

The xd series has a loaded chamber indicator and I have hydration to hear anyone complain about that one so I don't get what the big deal is. We should know enough about our firearms to know if we have ot loaded empty, clambered etc. But for my lc9 which I love it is a non issue. Just like the external safety. Everyone (exaggeration) wants to carry a 1911 with a thumb safety and doesn't complain, yet the lc9 is the devil. Quite amusing.

For the op I don't own, nor prob ever will own a glock, just dont like em. Have at it coolaid drinkers. But the lc9 is great really thin, mags are easy to carry extras. It's a little tall for my pocket carry desires and I usually only pocket carry on a quick trip out, and then I prefer the 442. I usually carry iwb in a crossbreed supertuck and love it. Comfy and doesn't print much. Shoots fine but did take some practice, but we all know there is no such thing as too much practice.

BigJon

I have an LC9 that I carry with a desantis prostealth ambidextrous holster. I normally carry this weapon small of the back, but I do move it around depending on clothing or what I'm doing. I use hornaday critical defense rounds and they shoot fantastic out of it. I am a 300lbs man and this gun also fits my wife, this is quite rare with our guns. the one thing that bothers me about the gun is the magazine lockout. It will not fire with the magazine out and one in the chamber. However this can be removed. Remove the slide and if you look down the inside of the grip there is a plate and a spring. These need to be removed and then the gun can fire with the magazine out. If you haven't noticed already the LC9 has about a 8 lb trigger pull at all times. I love this feature because it means you have to want the gun to go off, this prevents it from going off from nervousness. It also means that you can safely carry with safety off. I carry loaded magazine 1 in the chamber and a spare magazine with safety off. My wife however leaves the safety off but none in the chamber. I taught her how to rack the slide down her leg when drawing and she feels more comfortable with this method. For concealed carry I give this weapon a rating of 4.5 stars. My wife agrees. My biggest turn off about the glock is that it is ugly, and fits my wife's hand but not mine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links